• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been running Folding on the machine for 24 hours and the CPU temp is only 35C. My idle temperature average is 29C.

Everything is working well, except the optical drive which is showing up as bootable in the BIOS (and I installed XP from it), but it's not in available in windows.
I may have to try another drive, or ditch the SATA-to-IDE adapter

Captain Slug said:
I've been running Folding on the machine for 24 hours and the CPU temp is only 35C. My idle temperature average is 29C.

Everything is working well, except the optical drive which is showing up as bootable in the BIOS (and I installed XP from it), but it's not in available in windows.
I may have to try another drive, or ditch the SATA-to-IDE adapter

Yeah, I've never had very good luck with those adapters, there always seems to be some issue with them-whether it be hardware or software. It may not look nice, but my fat IDE cable running strait through the center of my case gets the job done 100% of the time :D

Well, I'm at wits end right now.
0104.jpg
Both block tops are dead due to complete material failure. The grade of polycarbonate I used apparently couldn't withstand the antifreeze. I caught it before any hardware was killed because I was investigating the leak near the video card.

I'm really mad right now and I don't want to look at this machine for the next week. I'll make new waterblock tops once I stop feeling like throwing this machine out of a third story window.

Lesson here: Only use Delrin, Brass, or Copper to make waterblock tops.

Last edited:
Captain Slug said:
Well, I'm at wits end right now.
0104.jpg
Both block tops are dead due to complete material failure. The grade of polycarbonate I used apparently couldn't withstand the antifreeze. I caught it before any hardware was killed because I was investigating the leak near the video card.

I'm really mad right now and I don't want to look at this machine for the next week. I'll make new waterblock tops once I stop feeling like throwing this machine out of a third story window.

Lesson here: Only use Delrin, Brass, or Copper to make waterblock tops.

:( sorry about your block slug, at least you caught it before eveything snapped and destroyed your equipment

I like the tops CS has going. Maybe he just needs to go with a "softer" more flexible grade to make them out of. I was only wondering about the acrylic vs. poly issue, because to my knowledge, polycarbonate will stretch rather than bust in most cases(although that's not a good thing either for the application). CS...maybe a hybrid top? A combination of metal/delrin/whatever and acrylic. So you can keep the look while gaining the strength you need. You'll figure something out I'm sure. You always come up with creative solutions to the hard stuff.

The tops failed due to a chemical reaction.
Acrylic would be fine if I were using fittings with a straight thread.
I will have to make new tops out of Delrin. It's the only plastic with the right material properties and operating temperatures appropriate for this use.

However, I'm going to be avoiding computer related projects for a while.

8 months later and I am finally going to get back to this project. I'll have to order a replacement motherboard and I'll have to remake the PSU and drive bay cover piece. I'm also contemplating switching out the pump (go from the Via Aqua to an MCP350). And I'm thinking about having water-cooling on just the CPU instead of on the Video card as well.

The reason is that I would like to have a computer for the Home Theater setup I am working on in December. This computer will be used to play video games with 3D glasses on a 120" screen.

More details to come soon.

Last edited:
Currently ordering supplies and designing new parts. I've ordered a replacement motherboard and I'm upgrading to a newer video card which will have a full-cover waterblock.
I'm going to be making a reservoir
0105.jpg
And a threading adapter block for the full cover block.
0106.jpg
And probably a new pump top.
0107.jpg

Last edited:
Back