• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Metal Slug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2GB PC3200
7800GT

Alibre Xpress runs fairly well on older hardware. Minimum requirement is a Pentium 3 1Ghz + Geforce 3.

His ability to generate real items so close to his auto cads like that always freaks me out. And also impresses me, but its still kinda freaky.

Well, Eaglebit sent me the wrong video card so I had to order the one I actually wanted from Newegg.
Tomorrow I'm hoping to make some progress on the replacement pump top. But for now I'm going to lay down because my back hurts.

I made the new pump top today. Again, made only with a manual knee mill and machine lathe. Took 3 hours and some very creative tooling setups, but it matches the CAD dimensions perfectly. I might dye it black, but I'm not sure yet.
0111.jpg
0112.jpg
0113.jpg
0114.jpg
Pump is an old Swiftech MCP600.

Mounting plate for the pump is now done.
0115.jpg

Last edited:
try using copper tubing for a ~90degree turn; according to this person's testing, it's far less restrictive than a nylon fitting.
ElbowsTrioPDcurve.jpg

I know you don't really NEED a fitting there, but you don't really NEED a new pump top either, eh? ;)

I'm not terribly concerned about the performance of this watercooling loop being something other than spectacular. I'm already using a somewhat out-dated block (Maze4) to cool the processor. Everything will be set to stock and I don't plan to overclock this rig.

The reason to watercool is to reduce the noise footprint of this machine since it will be in a home theater environment. And the easier I can make the loop to service the better. The way it's setup now will allow me to remove the whole watercooling loop from the computer in under 15 minutes.

Except for one flexible length of 7/16" ID tubing between the pump and radiator, most of the loop is going to be 3/8" ID 1/2" OD semi-rigid tubing. Three 90-degree fittings will be used in total in order to get the loop to fit the case in the way I want it to.

Last edited:
fair enough, just thought you might like to know about another possible 'do it yourself' project, that would make the loop all that more unique ;)

I'd be very curious to see some comparisons between your top and the original, did you copy it pretty much exactly (on the inside, of course), or did you take any liberties?

I made an o-ring spacing washer at work earlier today to use on the outlet of the new pump top since the thread on that port isn't terribly deep.
0116.jpg
And here are some extra pics to satiate natewildes' curiosity.
0117.jpg
0118.jpg
Differences
1. The stock pump top has a hardpoint molded into it for the axle that holds the impeller in place. However, the impeller is primarily centered by magnetic force from the drive motor and the axle is securely epoxied at the other end so I wasn't going to worry about it not being a part of the replacement top.
2. The outlet on my point is a completely different profile. I drilled it at a different offset because I didn't like how tight the tolerances between it and the o-ring groove were on the stock pump. I also though a purely elliptical shape didn't make any sense for capturing the flow output evenly.
3. Original top was made out of polyethylene. New top is PVC and three times thicker at all structural points.

If I later decide to use the new top with a 1/2" ID loop I would expect that it's performance would be somewhat better in terms of flowrate. The output on the stock top is kind of narrow because of the need for the barb to be structurally sound. Something that's not a concern if the top is made from a solid block.

One of the original goals of this project that was never discussed was to try to make something new out of otherwise "old" parts to show that you can make a very functional and unique machine from fairly random and discarded parts. When I started the only parts I had purchased specifically for this project were the case and the motherboard. Everything else was in my spare parts piles. Well, having block tops break and then parting out some of the project for a machine a friend needed put a kabosh on that idea somewhat. Excluding the newer video card that I decided I wanted to use so that I could use a leftover full-cover block, most of the parts I purchased to get the project back up and running were purchased from the spare parts piles of other forum users.

Last edited:
thanks for satiating my curiosity ;)

I'll be curious to see what custom 'sound saving' methods you come up with :)

All of the hardware I need for this project (minus a sound card I'm waiting on) is in my hands and I've been getting everything put together again and taking some measurements. Here's the CPU block reinstalled.
0119.jpg
The full cover block installed on the 6800. Quite an upgrade from the 5900XT it's replacing.
0120.jpg
And making another I/O cover since the last one went missing. This one will get painted black and have the same labeling as the previous one added to it.
0121.jpg
On Monday I can get the threading adapter for the video card waterblock made. Then I can get the new watercooling loop configuration setup for the first time.

Back