• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project "Over-Kill"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sweepee

Registered
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum and new to water cooling. I've built a number of computers in the past but this will be my first time go round with water. The plan is for an over the top workstation for audio and video work with some gaming ability. I also plan for moderate over-clocking.

I'll be using the following for the core of the machine;
  • ASUS P9X79-E WS
  • I7 4930
  • G Skill RipJaws Z series 64 Gb (8 sticks)
  • EVGA GTX 780 Ti (two units)
  • Three platter drives (undecided on the models)
  • Two Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 SATA drives

I have ordered a Caselabs Magnum M8 http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-m8-case/so I shouldn't have issue with room.

I'm planning for a large bay mount Monsoon rez (without pumps) http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=37667&zenid=261e7e184a5150fafe48c159d18acac9

I would like this machine to be as quiet as possible so I'm planning for 4 low profile and low FPI 3x120 radiators. Two of them will be cross-flow rads to allow for my layout and routing of the acrylic lines.

I plan to cool the CPU both video cards and possibly the RAM. I'm not settled yet on if the ram will really need it as I plan to have a plenty of case ventilation.

My question is this...how many and what type of pumps would you recommend for this much radiator and line work? Again, my goal is for a very quiet high-end workstation type of machine as the primary use.

Thanks and I look forward to your recommendations :thup:

Welcome to OCFs!

Before we go on, I just hope you've done lots of research on watercooling. What heat surface is needed for heatload etc. As well as what maintenance is required for your loop to keep it in check.

As for a pump(s), I would look at this one for redundancy purposes as well as being PWM controlled via CPU PWM header on the MB set at a low % for a quiet operation. That should be more than enough pump to run that whole system.

Edit: If that pump system is chosen, don't forget to purchase this cable set that connects both as one whole unit.

I just want to add to what you have listed. You said this system will be doing audio and video work. This means, you will be doing video editing? If so, what NLE are you using for editing? If you will be using Adobe Premiere Pro, then your choice of video card are good. If you will be using Sony Vegas Pro, then your video card choice is bad. My system is a video editing system and my AMD HD 6970 work great in gpu Acceleration with Sony Vegas Pro. If you will be using NLE like mine, I suggest you to choose the New r9 290 this card works well with Sony Vegas as well.

Last edited:
Thanks to the both of you for replies.

I have done quite a bit of research. I understand that the water cooling thing adds an element of maintenance and some significant costs but to be honest, I'm a bit bored with air cooled builds and I really wanted to try something different.

I do use Adobe for the video editing and as for the audio stuff I'm using a firewire external audio recording interface so I'm pretty sure I should be ok with this set up.

I do like the idea of using the PWM header...kind of set it and forget it...let the computer decide when to speed things up.

That pump looks great! I was thinking I would have to daisy chain separate units together meaning more connections and mounting. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have yet another question...when installing my fans on the radiators...would you recommend moving the hot air inside the case out through the radiators into the room or, draw cool air in across the radiators and into the case? In my mind I see pros and cons to both methods...if the idea is to cool the hot water in the rads then it seems natural to pull cool air across them but then that moves the warm air into the case...on the other side, if we move case air across the rads we don't get quite as much cooling potential. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Again, thanks to the both of you for the suggestions and thoughts.

Thanks to the both of you for replies.

I have done quite a bit of research. I understand that the water cooling thing adds an element of maintenance and some significant costs but to be honest, I'm a bit bored with air cooled builds and I really wanted to try something different.

I do use Adobe for the video editing and as for the audio stuff I'm using a firewire external audio recording interface so I'm pretty sure I should be ok with this set up.

I do like the idea of using the PWM header...kind of set it and forget it...let the computer decide when to speed things up.

That pump looks great! I was thinking I would have to daisy chain separate units together meaning more connections and mounting. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have yet another question...when installing my fans on the radiators...would you recommend moving the hot air inside the case out through the radiators into the room or, draw cool air in across the radiators and into the case? In my mind I see pros and cons to both methods...if the idea is to cool the hot water in the rads then it seems natural to pull cool air across them but then that moves the warm air into the case...on the other side, if we move case air across the rads we don't get quite as much cooling potential. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Again, thanks to the both of you for the suggestions and thoughts.

Just make sure to use proper fluids w/ biocide. Mainly distilled water and a silver kill coil with some deadwater for added security. You want color, I'd advise on colored tubing or acrylic.

What audio unit might that be? Sorato?

I am using that exact pump setup atm in my loop @ 40% PWM, the lowest it can go from my Corsair Link @ 1.0 GPM. (1.0GPM-1.5GPM is the sweet spot with it comes to flow in the build.)

What fans are you looking to use? As for the air flow I would honestly setup positive pressure. I would intake cool filtered air from all the radiator locations and send that warmer air through the case which ain't that big of a deal to the unfiltered section of the case assisted by exhaust fans if need to be. That should give you the best delta temps possible imho. Plus, its overkill the amount of heat surface you're adding to the heat load. I am assuming that's where the idea of the title came from. :p

Seems like a really nice rig you're building here. I hope you share with us your journey via build log. :D

Don't be afraid to ask any questions that might seem noobish to you. Ask away.

Thanks again Jack,

I'm going to reuse a trusty old audio interface that I've had for a number of years. It's an M-Audio Pro-Fire 2626. For what I'm doing it's just great.

I'm waiting for parts and pieces to show up and I still have a few things to order yet but when I'm ready to start putting it all together I'll surely post it here.

Have a great day sir :)

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum and new to water cooling. I've built a number of computers in the past but this will be my first time go round with water. The plan is for an over the top workstation for audio and video work with some gaming ability. I also plan for moderate over-clocking.

I'll be using the following for the core of the machine;
  • ASUS P9X79-E WS
  • I7 4930
  • G Skill RipJaws Z series 64 Gb (8 sticks)
  • EVGA GTX 780 Ti (two units)
  • Three platter drives (undecided on the models)
  • Two Samsung 840 Pro Series 512 SATA drives

I have ordered a Caselabs Magnum M8 http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-m8-case/so I shouldn't have issue with room.

I'm planning for a large bay mount Monsoon rez (without pumps) http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=37667&zenid=261e7e184a5150fafe48c159d18acac9

I would like this machine to be as quiet as possible so I'm planning for 4 low profile and low FPI 3x120 radiators. Two of them will be cross-flow rads to allow for my layout and routing of the acrylic lines.

I plan to cool the CPU both video cards and possibly the RAM. I'm not settled yet on if the ram will really need it as I plan to have a plenty of case ventilation.

My question is this...how many and what type of pumps would you recommend for this much radiator and line work? Again, my goal is for a very quiet high-end workstation type of machine as the primary use.

Thanks and I look forward to your recommendations :thup:

CaseLabs...spendy! Cross-flow rads are high restriction items, so I would also recommend a dual MCP-35x pump assy for lots of head pressure and great flow. Since two of the rads are already known, I would recommend the final rads as a HLabs SR-1. Really low fpi and great build...I'm running a 420 now and it's great. To keep it quiet, NB E-loops or GT-15's should be used.

You should also start a build log as I would love to see the work along the way...Nice parts and a great case!

Thanks for the reading material lkrose78.

Yeah...the CaseLab M8 as optioned out is rather expensive but it should be the last case I ever buy. When it arrives I'll post some photos.

I've done some reading this afternoon and I think that I am sold on those dual MCP-35 pumps. I like the form factor for mounting and plumbing. I was thinking about using some acoustic isolation pad material as we use when decoupling recording studio monitors under the pump...I've got an extra pad and was thinking of cutting it up and mounting the pump(s) to that.

As for the radiators...I'm hoping that I've got WAY more than enough surface area than I will ever need. That way I can run some really slow fans...nice an quiet. After the case gets here I'll dry fit the motherboard to see exactly how much room I have to work with. I'll let that help to decide what will fit in there. I think I'm going to have plenty of options though. The two cross-flows are a function of tube routing but after another look when the case gets here maybe that will change. I'm hoping to use 4 radiators...

Rez--->pump assy (at bottom of the case)--->bottom left rad--->GPU/GPU--->CPU--->upper left rad--->upper right rad--->lower right rad--->Rez

I do of course plan for fill and drain ports.

Again, thank you very much for the reading materials...the fan tests were very helpful. I thought I was sold on the Noctuas but the the NB fans were a bit of a surprise. I'll give those a long look.

I'm pretty new as well, here are a few more links that were posted in my thread that could be useful to you as well, skinnee labs and radiator reviews here. Just like on Martins Liquid lab, the last link has radiator performance with different RPMs. The XSPC RX360 and the Alphacool NeXXos UT 60 have good low RPM performance as well (on the bundymania post). Though, I think those are both are on the thicker side of radiators, 56 and 60mm respectively.

Thanks very much Tatsugen. That radiator review was very helpful. Some really good stuff there...THANKS!

Thanks for the reading material lkrose78.

Yeah...the CaseLab M8 as optioned out is rather expensive but it should be the last case I ever buy. When it arrives I'll post some photos.

I've done some reading this afternoon and I think that I am sold on those dual MCP-35 pumps. I like the form factor for mounting and plumbing. I was thinking about using some acoustic isolation pad material as we use when decoupling recording studio monitors under the pump...I've got an extra pad and was thinking of cutting it up and mounting the pump(s) to that.

As for the radiators...I'm hoping that I've got WAY more than enough surface area than I will ever need. That way I can run some really slow fans...nice an quiet. After the case gets here I'll dry fit the motherboard to see exactly how much room I have to work with. I'll let that help to decide what will fit in there. I think I'm going to have plenty of options though. The two cross-flows are a function of tube routing but after another look when the case gets here maybe that will change. I'm hoping to use 4 radiators...

Rez--->pump assy (at bottom of the case)--->bottom left rad--->GPU/GPU--->CPU--->upper left rad--->upper right rad--->lower right rad--->Rez

I do of course plan for fill and drain ports.

Again, thank you very much for the reading materials...the fan tests were very helpful. I thought I was sold on the Noctuas but the the NB fans were a bit of a surprise. I'll give those a long look.

I've been working with some different materials to decouple the pumps for uber-silent running, and I'm currently using a foam sample from tempurpedic. Perfect size and works great!

Back