• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Silent Beauty!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks very nice! I especially like what you're doing with the wiring.

Your radiator looks like an oil cooler to me, but its hard to say. They're fairly general purpose. Looks nice though!

One suggestion however, since you have a DFI Board like mine, I'd recommend swapping out the chipset heatsink/fan on there with this.http://www.svc.com/vc-re.html The stock ones are known to die, rattle, overheat.

I use it on my DFI Board, and it dropped my temps way down. Originally, I replaced it due to a rattling, but it helped more then fixing just that!

Just a suggestion! Other then that, good work!

Krazed said:
Looks very nice! I especially like what you're doing with the wiring.

Your radiator looks like an oil cooler to me, but its hard to say. They're fairly general purpose. Looks nice though!

One suggestion however, since you have a DFI Board like mine, I'd recommend swapping out the chipset heatsink/fan on there with this.http://www.svc.com/vc-re.html The stock ones are known to die, rattle, overheat.

I use it on my DFI Board, and it dropped my temps way down. Originally, I replaced it due to a rattling, but it helped more then fixing just that!

Just a suggestion! Other then that, good work!

Thanks,
I'll look into your suggestion, I recall having a some high temps in the summer. How noisy (db wise) is that hsf?

Suma.

Suma said:
Thanks,
I'll look into your suggestion, I recall having a some high temps in the summer. How noisy (db wise) is that hsf?

Suma.

Its almost inaudible even at 5500rpm (mine is running at that now). I'd suggest using one of the software fan controllers to control it.

I forgot what I'm using at home but it works great! I'll send you the link when I get home tonight. Works quite well, and is easy to use and runs in the background almost unnoticeable.

Krazed said:
Its almost inaudible even at 5500rpm (mine is running at that now). I'd suggest using one of the software fan controllers to control it.

I forgot what I'm using at home but it works great! I'll send you the link when I get home tonight. Works quite well, and is easy to use and runs in the background almost unnoticeable.

Cool. Thanks.
I'll go and grab one of those. Hopefully tomorrow morning :)

Suma.

Suma said:
Cool. Thanks.
I'll go and grab one of those. Hopefully tomorrow morning :)

Suma.

No problem!

Just make sure it's the same model, as it fits the mounting pin holes perfectly!

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to put a little Arctic Silver on there.

Krazed said:
No problem!

Just make sure it's the same model, as it fits the mounting pin holes perfectly!

Also, wouldn't be a bad idea to put a little Arctic Silver on there.

Ofcourse. ;)

Another little update ;)
11-10-06:

mini-DSCN7379.JPG

- The radiatior painted BLACK :D

mini-DSCN7380.JPG

- Another angle.

mini-DSCN7381.JPG

- TT 120mm with red leds on the radiator.

mini-DSCN7382.JPG

- I tied the fan onto the radiator with these very slim fishing wires. Works really good.

mini-DSCN7383.JPG

The radiator installed inside the case, same way as the fans. You can't really see the nylon wires but what you can see are two black ropes placed to tighten it up. BTW, the case is on it's side, meaning gravity is supposed to pull down the rad. :)

mini-DSCN7384.JPG

- Another shot.

So all the fans are done, incl. the radiator 120mm fan, it's connected seperatly to the fan controller.
I still need to do masny things like, install the pump and the fillport, install case lightning + contorl switch etc.
I think I can say we're almost half way there.

Suma.

Looking great. Nice job with the fishing line, looks really slick and quite clean actually.

Keep up the good work.

Just hope those fishing lines don't break ;). Lookin' good; nice, quality paint jobs are always nice to see :)

Fast progress! WOW.

>_< i want it to be the end of next week so i can get back to working on fun -- College is great untill you realise half your parts are 300 miles away as well as all of your large heavy duty tools :-/

11-13-06:
It's been too long since I updated.
I listen to Krazed whom suggested ti upgrade the original DFI nb cooling. I also finished leaktesting the system, for 48hrs, succesfully.
So here are the pics:

mini-DSCN7390.JPG

- The mobo with the new nb cooling.

mini-DSCN7391.JPG

- A closer look at the Evercool VC-RE.

mini-DSCN7392.JPG

- Guess something needs a little cleaning ;)

mini-DSCN7393.JPG

- Cleaning done.

mini-DSCN7394.JPG

- Had to move my vrail pots cause of the case's layout.

mini-DSCN7395.JPG

- Done.

mini-DSCN7396.JPG

- This is how it looks with the psu installed.

mini-DSCN7397.JPG

- CPU and waterblock installed.

mini-DSCN7400.JPG

- Ready for first operation.

Anyway that's the first revision. I still need to do:
1. Drill holes to hold the pump to the bottom of the case.
2. Cut a window in the side panel.
3. Drill a hole for the fill port.
4. Some little paint jobs.
5. Stealth the optical drives.
6. Install a 2x20/2x16 LCD in the 3.5" bay drive.
7. Any thing else you'd suggest?

What do you think?
Suma.

Maybe a hole to make the pump power cord a bit more neat... i cant see one in the pic.
I loved how easy stealthing opticals was on my PC65, its like a 5 minute job at most due to the aluminum bay covers. :beer:

Your's has turned out really nice so far, I had given up on putting a WC rig inside a mid tower a while ago. :D

Last edited:
Good thought steve. I will drill a hole next to the pump and wire the pump's cord under the case.

Does it stand off the surface it sits on far enough for that?? I mean i have about a half CM or less worth of clearance under mine... By looking at that cord, it might be thick enough to make the case un balanced. If it were me I would try with a hole in the back of the case first. But not seeing it in person means i cant say for certain -- But i would definetly wonder about that.

It might fit fine under the case, but when the chord bends up to go into the case, i see either the chord not bending enough, or insulation being cut away by a jaged metal edge on the underside of the case. And ALU does a pretty good job as a conductor so the thought makes me nervious.

Suma said:
11-13-06:
It's been too long since I updated.
I listen to Krazed whom suggested ti upgrade the original DFI nb cooling.

Good to hear! Glad I can make a worthy suggestion.

Now, if I could possibly make another!

There's a lip on the bottom of your case, where the door goes. (Red arrow)

Maybe you can run the cable to there, and across the lip to the back of your case, and drill a hole there for the power cord. (Black line). Though, you would have to splice into the cable, it can be done quite easily.

mini-DSCN7397.jpg

Just a thought! That would leave no balance issues.

Only issues would be with the case side panel/door having some hooks go over that to allow it to hold tight.

Oh, and nice progress too. I like the case, and how clean everything is.

Good job!

Back