• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project synaps3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

synaps3

Registered
Project synaps3

Alright. Welcome to the Project. I'll keep this worklog as updated as possible. If you have any questions of comments, feel free to reply to this thread, I'm open to new ideas, suggestions for the build, and willing to help if anyone needs tips for modding in general.

A special thanks to everyone at Overclocking Wiki.org. This build would not be remotely possible without them and their support.

First off, a bit about me (skip paragraph if you only care about the build):
My name is Dave, or synaps3 as most of you know me. I'm a 2nd-year Computer Engineer at Georgia Tech, but I have more experience with building computers than anyone I know. This is by no means my first build; I have made dozens over the years for many different people. I also have been working at the Research Institute at Georgia Tech for over a year doing IT work, so everything has become second-nature to me. I also love to build stuff (other than computers), which has lead to me becoming quite adept with tools, especially the Dremel. I'm still learning, and this build represents that. I am trying many new and unique things on it, I hope to surprise you, or at least inspire you, somewhere along this worklog. That being said, please enjoy this worklog as much as I am enjoying making the system itself.

I have needed a new computer for some time, having been living off a Dell Latitude X300. None of my other are game-worthy, and I sold my SN26P awhile back, because I was a bit short on money. But I miss my games, and obviously, it is hard to game on a laptop, especially a 12" one. I also multitask and code like crazy, and find myself often wishing I had more screens. So, I decided to build a new system. Something that will game great, look great, perform well, and overclock like no other.

To accomplish my goals, I have accumulated parts throughout the past few months. Here is what I have so far:

*e6300 in an Gigabyte GA965P-DS3 v3.0:
ga965pds3.jpg

*2Gb of OCZ PC2 8500:
ram.jpg

*eVGA 7800GT:
(Pic not available, in RMA)

*XClio 450BL:
psufans.jpg

*WD Caviar SATA 1200SE, and Lite-On SATA DVD Burner:
drives.jpg

*Hauppauge TV Tuner, Creative Audigy:
sctuner.jpg

*Sapphire Radeon 7000:
r7000.jpg

*Thermaltake Matrix, only slightly modded so far (pics later)

*4 LCDs: (pics not available, read on)
-32" LCD TV (720p)
-19" LCD (1280x1024)
-17" LCD (1280x1024)
-12" LCD (1024x768)

*Watercooling system
-DangerDen RBX block and DangerDen Maze4 Chipset block:
mobowblocks.jpg

-DangerDen Maze5 GPU block and Liang D5 variable speed pump:
maze5pump.jpg

-HW Labs Black Ice Pro II Radiator:
dualrad.jpg

-Cadillac DeVille Limousine Heatercore:
heatercore.jpg

-1/2" ID Masterkleer Tubing (ordered)

-DangerDen Fillport (ordered)

*and a bunch of other crap, most of which will be a surprise and make this build unique.

(continued in next post)

So what needs changed? Well, first off, my video card sucks. It even died on me, just to anger me further. So it is currently being RMA'd. Once I get it back, it is going straight to Craigslist, and I am going to buy an eVGA 8800GTS. I also will be getting a waterblock for it.

I also need to get new monitors for more consistency. I'm going to get TWO Samsung 226BWs. I will probably buy them locally to be sure I get good panels. The 19" and 17" will be moved to other builds or sold, and the 12" will go on the side panel for LANs.

The watercooling loop also needs redone, as it is total ****. Here is the system's loop in its current glory, or lack thereof:
oldwcloop.JPG

I realized then, that I was a complete idiot. I had made no method of draining the loop. So I clamped off a section of the tubing to try to control flow when I would attempt to cut the tubing. I then snipped it:
oldwcloopdestroy.JPG

Unfortunately, the clamps didn't hold the loop, which was pressurized where I cut it. The coolant squirted out, spraying my face and upper body. I got b!tch-slapped by my own loop. What a wonderful start.

I finished draining the loop and took all the components out. They are all laying out on my desk, waiting for more tubing so I can redo the loop right, and put in a drainport.

Now that you have seen the case, I'll go ahead and tell you what I have modded so far. The case has had custom mounting holes cut for the radiator in the top, as well as a blowhole:
topblowhole.jpg

The side panel has a large, square hole in it perfectly sided for the heatercore. The drivecages (other than two) have been removed to make room for the heatercore and future mods:
drivecagesremoved.jpg

The mesh 3.5" bays on the front were removed, and their plastic backing needs dremeled out too:
frontneedsremoved.jpg

I'll do all of that later. For now, I'm going to mount the 12.1" LCD. I'm doing this mod so I won't have to lug my 32" LCD, or any LCD, to LANs. I can just haul the Project with me, and be done with it.

I started by eying out the LCD size, checking to make sure I had a square with two L-bar things:
lcdmeasure.jpg

Next, I cut the plexi with a razor:
plexicut.jpg

But, as with everything else, it needed a bit of finishing work because one of the two cuts didn't quite stay straight:
badcut.jpg

So I ripped out my trusty old dremel, and tore that ***** up:
dremelit.jpg

I immediately after sanded it, it will make flame polishing easier later:
sandit.jpg

(continued in next post)

Now, I was ready to cut the mount holes. Before I continue, let me explain to you my methods of fabrication. I have found, through years of building everything and anything, that measurement is total crap. I do much better with never measuring, and cutting in small increments until the piece is perfect. So, with the LCD, I refused to measure the holes out. Therefore, I carefully drilled pilot holes dead through the center of the mounting holes on the LCD, into the plexiglass. I do not, in ANY WAY recommend anyone else using my haphazard methods of fabrication. It is idiotic, especially if you lack experience... So here is me drilling the pilot holes in the plexi through the LCD mounts:
drillplexi.jpg

Of course, it turned out fine, and I proceeded to expand the holes to the desired diameter:
drillit2.jpg

And then, I used the same method to transpose and drill the holes into the metal side panel itself:
drillit3.jpg

Holes drilled:
holesdrilled.jpg

Then, I needed to add holes for the cables coming out of the back of the panel, and clean up them with my rat tail file:
rattailfile.jpg

I used some screws and nuts I had lying around the workshop, and started to put them in place:
mountscrews.jpg

Screws in place, ready for the LCD:
screwsmounted.jpg

(continued below)

Time to drop in the LCD:
lcdmount1.jpg

And put the plexi over it:
lcdmount2.jpg

mmm. Shiny. Still desperately needs cleaning and flame polishing though. I love how everything is a perfect fit, without me ever measuring. Nothing beats experience. :D

Here is a side view:
lcdmount4.jpg

And a rear view to see where the circuitry will go:
lcdmount3.jpg

And here is a preview of about where the circuitry will be mounted:
lcdcircuitry.jpg

So that's all for now. I'll try to work on it again tomorrow, if I have time. I'm a bit busy though, so expect an update by Thursday or Friday.

I'm open to any comments or suggestions if you have them.

See y'all later.

nice project, I'm loving the lcd, that gives me some ideas...

just wondering, why are you using a radeon 7000?? surely you could budget something a little better...

It is a secondary video card to power my 3rd and 4th screens. I will be using the 7800GT once it comes back from RMA, until I purchase an 8800GTS 640. I'll then get a block for it and drop it in.

Nice work, I use then same work method, if it goes tit's the first time 'its a prototype' :) where did you pick up the 12" lcd from?

I got the LCD from some random used computer junk site awhile back. It was $40 shipped. :D

Make sure that board doesn't short out on the back of that panel, that would be big suck. Nice work so far :]

I'm mounting the circuitry on another piece of plexi to make sure it doesn't. There is an enormous amount of current going through the inverter for the LCD, so I don't want to take any risks.

Plans for this mod has changed quite a bit since the last update. I think this update may become the start of a very, very unique mod.

Originally, I planned on having a custom case, that looked badass and had many unique features (many of which haven't even been mentioned yet). But, then I realized that I had mounted the LCD upside down... It needs to be on the bottom, otherwise it looks a bit funny (or, at least it did in my opinion). Its positioning also would have made mounting the controller board and inverter board required for it awkward. It also would have made me very cramped on space for the additional two power supplies that will be de-cased and placed in here to run something very special... But I'll get to that later :D

So on to what I decided to change. Here is a pic of the LCD upside-down:
upsidedownlcd.jpg

I got to thinking... I like BTX. BTX is good. It will allow me to flip the LCD to orient it the way I want it, AND allow it to stay on the right-side of my desk (so I don't have to move it to use the LCD).
hmmbtx.jpg

And then I decided, this build is going to get BTX'd. But, there are some problems. For example, my huge heatercore is going to be smashed into the drive cages:
cagesinway.jpg

A closer view:
cagesinway2.jpg

And they got removed:
removecages.jpg

cagesremoved.jpg

To do the BTX swap, I need to take out the motherboard tray and back panel, and flip both, mounting them to the opposite side. I cut back the mobo tray first though. It is too long for the mobo and sticks out the back. I started removing its rivets:
mobotrayrivets.jpg

Mobo tray removed:
mobotrayout.jpg

Start cutting:
mobotraycutting.jpg

Done with cutting:
mobotraycut.jpg

Now to remove the back, so that I can make this thing BTX:
rearremove.jpg

rearremoved.jpg

Now flip and reinstall:
rearflip.jpg

rearflip2.jpg

Install the mobo tray:
rearflipmobotray.jpg

And a bit of an overview shot:
topbtx.jpg

I'll cut a huge top window next. I always wanted a top window, but my drives and PSU were always in the way. I have more motivation than cosmetics though... Well, not really. But it will allow me to cover up some nasty holes that I made with a terrible drill bit:
badtopholes.jpg

Here's an overview of the top:
topoverview.jpg

I taped it up and started cutting:
cuttingtopwindow.jpg

And this was the result:
topwindow.jpg

A farther out view, showing my awesome crowbar helping add weight so the case doesn't move:
topwindow2.jpg

I still need to clean up the edges on that cut, and possibly use a bit of u-channel trim to cover a tiny slip-up I had. It's not noticeable, but I know its there, so it must die.

I'm working on the mod again tonight, I ran out of time and didn't get as far as I wanted to last night. Maybe there will be another update late tonight. It might not come until Saturday or Sunday though.

the crowbar is used as a security measure :)

nice job tho, i really like how you flipped the case panel. would you consider that BTX tho? my silverstone case is flipped like that and its not considered BTX

gangaskan- Yea, technically it is inverted ATX, which is basically BTX style.

A note before I begin: I am changing hosts. All images WILL go down, only temporarily, until the new nameservers propogate. It shouldn't take too long, at most a day.

Some people have asked what will be replacing the rivets, so I went ahead and purchased the screws I will be using. Here is what they look like:
rivetreplacement.JPG

My cat, Pickles, wanted to help me out today. Too bad he doesn't know how to use a dremel :p
pickles.JPG

Once I got the cat to leave my case alone (he is basically the size of it, hes a big kitty), I got to work on removing the metal covering the rear exhaust:
cutgrille1.JPG

Getting there...
cutgrille2.JPG

Done:
cutgrille3.JPG

Next, I went back and removed the front 3.5" bays that were shown in the first page of the log:
cutfront1.JPG

I hate cutting plastic. It sucks. At least all of this will be covered by a giant 5.25"x6" heatsink (don't ask, you'll find out what its for later), so people won't see the tiny imperfections from the dremel:
cutfront2.JPG

And then, I needed to cut back the metal:
cutfront3.JPG

cutfront4.JPG

cutfront5.JPG

I went ahead and cut and threw in the top window too:
windowtop.jpg

That's it for now. But here is a few shots of progress, it's coming along nicely:
overview2.JPG

overview1.JPG

I didn't get around to mounting the boards for the LCD or any of the other boards that need mounted, as I am still figuring out a few things on this mod that involve PCBs that go on the plexi too. Expect another update soon, tomorrow or Monday.

Back