• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project synaps3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A quick update--

I'm sick. There were wildfires going on in South Georgia, and I think the smoke, or something else, messed me up. I've been having really bad headaches since Sunday, and they keep coming back. I shouldn't be out for too long, just wanted to explain the delay in update...

Some good news though, my package from Petra's Tech Shop arrived finally. It was late entirely because of UPS, Petra's shipped it like a champ, the same day I ordered. UPS somehow made it take over 10 days for it to arrive. Anyways, I'll see if I can do some work on the loop while I'm sick. Watercooling shouldn't take too much of my efforts :p

Alright, sorry for the delay. I'm no longer sick, but I still can't make much progress. I have a test in Calc II on Thursday, and I had to clean my fishtank yesterday. Here is the fish, blame him for the lack of progress :p
jack.jpg

I think he poops more than I do. Above is the tank after only 3 weeks! I only feed him one bloodworm a day too...

Anyways, to keep everyone entertained until I can get a real update, I'm going to go ahead and reveal one more of the "surprises" that are in this mod. For a long time, I have wondered how hard it would be to make a sub-ambient loop. Not any sub-ambient loop though. One using a 400w pelt. The pelt will run off two old power supplies that will provide the needed amperage to get 350w out of the pelt-- nearly 30a. I don't quite know how well it will work, as the power supplies are not identical, and may explode. So I will experiment with this system VERY carefully before I even try to put it in my rig. My goal, which may not be so far off, is 0C.

Enough with the talk though, on to the pics:
peltbottomview.jpg

This is kinda a bottom-view, showing the block and the plexi enclosure that will basically act as a waterblock.

peltsideview.jpg

Side view

pelttopview.jpg

Top view. This shows just how massive the heatsink is. This really is a front view, rather than a top view, as it will be mounted like this:
peltgoeshere.jpg

I will mount the power supplies, which will be de-cased to the bare PCB, and stripped to only have a +12, ground, and pbin (the green on the ATX) wire. The +12's, grounds, and pbins will be connected, and the two power supplies will plug into the wall on a separate plug than the rest of the system (unlike the 12" LCD, which will be off the computer's power supply). The PCBs for the two power supplies will be mounted over the controller board for the LCD.

Here is me test-fitting a little bit:

Yay, tubing!
testfitmobo1.jpg

It fits.
testfitmobo2.jpg

Another view:
testfitmobo3.jpg

Not shown is the controller board for the LCD, which needs moved to allow the side panel to attach well. It is too tight now.

Since I have a test Thursday, I can't predict when I'll have another update. I'm going to be optimistic, and guess Friday, but who knows, it may come sooner or later than then. I can't order any more parts (the 8800 or the parts for the pelt loop) until I finally get a credit card. I applied a few days ago, hopefully Chase will respond soon...

I hope you have better luck than I did on my first go at a pelt chiller... I could never air cool the heat sink enough no matter what I tried.

synaps3 said:
Alright, sorry for the delay. I'm no longer sick, but I still can't make much progress. I have a test in Calc II on Thursday, and I had to clean my fishtank yesterday. Here is the fish, blame him for the lack of progress :p
jack.jpg

I think he poops more than I do. Above is the tank after only 3 weeks! I only feed him one bloodworm a day too...

Anyways, to keep everyone entertained until I can get a real update, I'm going to go ahead and reveal one more of the "surprises" that are in this mod. For a long time, I have wondered how hard it would be to make a sub-ambient loop. Not any sub-ambient loop though. One using a 400w pelt. The pelt will run off two old power supplies that will provide the needed amperage to get 350w out of the pelt-- nearly 30a. I don't quite know how well it will work, as the power supplies are not identical, and may explode. So I will experiment with this system VERY carefully before I even try to put it in my rig. My goal, which may not be so far off, is 0C.

Enough with the talk though, on to the pics:
peltbottomview.jpg

This is kinda a bottom-view, showing the block and the plexi enclosure that will basically act as a waterblock.

peltsideview.jpg

Side view

pelttopview.jpg

Top view. This shows just how massive the heatsink is. This really is a front view, rather than a top view, as it will be mounted like this:
peltgoeshere.jpg

I will mount the power supplies, which will be de-cased to the bare PCB, and stripped to only have a +12, ground, and pbin (the green on the ATX) wire. The +12's, grounds, and pbins will be connected, and the two power supplies will plug into the wall on a separate plug than the rest of the system (unlike the 12" LCD, which will be off the computer's power supply). The PCBs for the two power supplies will be mounted over the controller board for the LCD.

Here is me test-fitting a little bit:

Yay, tubing!
testfitmobo1.jpg

It fits.
testfitmobo2.jpg

Another view:
testfitmobo3.jpg

Not shown is the controller board for the LCD, which needs moved to allow the side panel to attach well. It is too tight now.

Since I have a test Thursday, I can't predict when I'll have another update. I'm going to be optimistic, and guess Friday, but who knows, it may come sooner or later than then. I can't order any more parts (the 8800 or the parts for the pelt loop) until I finally get a credit card. I applied a few days ago, hopefully Chase will respond soon...

Pics are down in this post ;)

Back