• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: The Sanctum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ordered 2 more heatsinks, 2 more sticks of the same ram, and 2 2ghz chips for the boards. Once everything comes I should have at least one server up, also, we're waiting on the switch. Once that replacement switch comes, and providing he wiped it as promised, we'll be up and running by the end of next week with at least one NAS in the rack. Still undecided if I'm going to go rails, but I think that's an eventuality I'll have to accept. It just makes things too darned easy to work with. Making the cables is going to be a heck of a lot of fun, though!

The bottle in the picture is Origin, but I plan to try and collect the other three (eventually) :)

The bottle in the picture is Origin, but I plan to try and collect the other three (eventually) :)

Again, I've only had superstition but it's wonderful. It was the first higher end bottle of scotch I bought (at 50$, I consider it an investment of sorts).

So, tonite should be interesting. I have 2 2ghz dual core chips, 2 boards, and 2 heatsinks. Since I have 4 more chips and 2 more heatsinks on the way, I've decided to get one box up and running all the way, so that's tonite's goal.

Final specs of the server should be:

2xSL8WT Xeon LV Processors
4x1GB DDR2-400 ECCR
1xPERC 5/i
4x1.5TB seagate 7200.11
4x500GB seagate 7200.10

the 500's will only be in temporariliy. I need to copy all my girlfriend's old data over and then put it onto something else, probably the 1.5's temporarily. Afterwards, I'm going to probably use the old server hardware as a box for my girlfriend. Setup freenas and do a zraid on the 500's for her so she can have a server at her home.

1 server up!

Here's me mid assembly.

P1010002.JPG

Here it is posting on my 42" vizio.

P1010003.JPG

And here it is in it's finished glory.

P1010004.JPG

So, one thing I want to point out is this project is everything. It's not just the servers, or the rack, it also includes the desktop, network printer, and the network topology. I'm hoping this weekend we can get the network infrastructure up so we can start doing some of the really cool stuff!

Hopefully tonite I'm going to continue my build of the first server, get it up and running openfiler, and start getting the data up and running again. Likely I'm going to copy over everything to my desktop, and then reformat the drives, following that with copying over anything I need to keep. We have a lot of redundant crap on our servers and reducing the redundancy should in theory also reduce the amount of stuff that needs to get copied around to make the servers work with open filer. My buddy's serving his data on windows 7, I beleive, and I know linux with XFS works a lot better for his needs. So tonite, we're gonna pull one of the 36GB raptors in his server box and use it as the drive for my server box, then we'll have an almost identical setup on both boxes, the differences being perc 5/i in mine, perc 6/i in his, and the storage drives will be different also.

FYi bought another board and 2 more heatsinks, the heatsinks will require modification, but are all copper so should be a good fit in our firewall which is 2u.

Last edited:
Server not booting again. I'll be toying with it all weekend, but I'm starting to worry about these boards. They're extremely finicky.

Server 1 is priming, server 2 is in an anti static bag but built and does boot. :)

I'm actually going to be rebuilding the servers once more so I can make use of back plates. Once I get the back plates in and the boards back into the cases, it should be a bee line for getting the rack up and running!

I am unsure on rails at the moment.

Nice choices haha

Here is my super similar one with a lot of the same stuff

photo182v.jpg

Photo237.jpg

2x 2ghz dual core Xeon Sossaman LV
8gb DDR2 800
8 terabytes of WD greens

I'm subbed too :beer:

Do your guys' memory controllers run hotter then hell? I'm worried about mine... or are they designed to just run hot as crap?

Back