• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meeps

Okay so I ordered everything (Some from newegg, some from other suppliers).

- Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25 Fan Controller
- 6x Scythe Kama Flow 2 SP1225FDB12H 120mm Case Fan
- 2x Scythe Kama FLEX PWM 120 SA1225FDB12H-P 120mm Case Fan (Push/Pull for Heatsink)
- GELID Solutions 350 mm PWM Y Cable Model CA-PWM (To accommodate Push/Pull with MOBO CPU header)
- Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler
- Expandable Braided Cable Sleeving (To tidy up the ugly wires)
- OKGEAR 24" SATA 6 Gbps Cable, Straight to Right Angle W/Metal Latch, Black, Backward Compatible with 3 Gbps and 1.5 Gbps (To get rid of some of those ugly red SATA cables)

I have two questions:

1) What TIM should I use (Prolimatech Supplied TIM, AS5 laying around (Purchased on 12/29/2010), or anything else suggested)? Also, what application method should I use?

2) Should I mount this in a north/south or east/west orientation (More Info: I'll have 1 rear exhaust and 2 top exhausts surrounding it)

Thanks,
-meeps

Last edited:
Most TIMs will be fine. I have a selection atm (Chill Factor, MX-2, and Freeze) and they are all very similar. AS5 is old school and takes a while to cure... I'd say you're fine with either that or the Prolimatech stuff. For application I use a brush if the TIM is thin, or I spread it if the TIM is thick.

Regarding orientation, I always mount east/west. It won't make any difference to your temps providing your case airflow is good.

The Prolimatech tim is some good stuff and rates right up there with the other top pastes. As for orientation, I always mount east-west, but you can experiment and see which way works best for you. The only drawback with nor-south is that the side of the heatsink will probably overhang your ram, which might make it hard or impossible to remove the sticks with the heatsink mounted. And if your ram has tall heatspreaders, you might not be able to mount that way.

Kk, east/west(front/back) and prolimatech TIM it is.

With the Prolimatech TIM should I just do the 1/2 pea (large rice) method and let the processor spread it from pressure ? I usually spread it out myself but I'm not quite sure if this is the most effective way to go about it with this TIM and Heatsink.

Also, got box 1 of 5 today which came from newegg. I always liked their quick shipping (1 day in this case), I don't like how it looks like it was used as the ball in the world cup :-/. Box 2 should come tomorrow, 3 might be in on Friday, but 4 and 5 are definitely going to be in next week. I was really hoping this was going to be my weekend project :shrug:. Oh well, I guess I'll just use the opportunity to get entirely hungover on Sunday :D.

I always get boxes from newegg that look like they were dragged behind the truck the whole way across the country. The contents inside always turn out to be ok, so I guess that they know what they're doing. One of these days I will get a box from them in perfect condition, and the stuff inside will probably all be defective.

I always get boxes from newegg that look like they were dragged behind the truck the whole way across the country. The contents inside always turn out to be ok, so I guess that they know what they're doing. One of these days I will get a box from them in perfect condition, and the stuff inside will probably all be defective.
hahahah!:rofl: one day, that will happen.

Thankfully though everything was perfect inside. I actually never get the beat up boxes this is my first demolition derby survivor of a box, and I've had countless boxes come from newegg.

I just want all of my stuff to get here! Some won't be here til the 30th so I guess it's all going down on next weekend.

With the Prolimatech TIM should I just do the 1/2 pea (large rice) method and let the processor spread it from pressure ? I usually spread it out myself but I'm not quite sure if this is the most effective way to go about it with this TIM and Heatsink.

:bump:

Spreading is good because you can verify how evenly it goes on.

I use a piece of thin plastic (NOT a bank card, lol) to spread OCZ Freeze because it's like thick glue. In all my years of PC building/maintenance I have never used the "dollop-in-the-center" method.

And I am the opposite of Lenny. :D I use the "pea sized dot in the center" method for most pastes. For really thick ones, I might use a thin line down the center and on HDT style heatsinks I put a thin line down each heatpipe.

Just try various methods and find which way works best for you. ;) After all, we aren't installing it for you so a little experimentation is in order.

Just try various methods and find which way works best for you. ;) After all, we aren't installing it for you so a little experimentation is in order.
You know, you're entirely right. I'm gonna pick up some OCZ Freeze and give it a shot (Cause Lenny is the man and I trust his judgement:thup:), and I'll use that and the prolimatech stuff that comes with the Heatsink and try a bunch of different application methods. I'm lazy by nature so I tend to like to ask what I need to do instead of research (Although in this case I've researched non-stop for the past 3 weeks, went to bed a little past 5AM last night/morning:eek:).

Edit: Haven't an interesting time attempting to find OCZ Freeze for sale anywhere, I'll try to look harder. Was this stuff discontinued ?

Last edited:
Yep, looks like OCZ has EOL'ed it, along with a bunch of other stuff too. Looks like they only make SSDs, flash drives and some power supplies now.

I personally am a big fan :)D ) of Arctic Cooling MX2. I go through gobs of TIM testing heatsinks and it performs well and is dead easy to clean up. No need for fancy cleaners; simple isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol wipes it clean. Get the 90% stuff if possible.

Yep, looks like OCZ has EOL'ed it, along with a bunch of other stuff too. Looks like they only make SSDs, flash drives and some power supplies now.

I personally am a big fan :)D ) of Arctic Cooling MX2. I go through gobs of TIM testing heatsinks and it performs well and is dead easy to clean up. No need for fancy cleaners; simple isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol wipes it clean. Get the 90% stuff if possible.
I did a little researching on the MX-2 and it came to my attention newer variations are around (MX-3, apparently discontinued, and MX-4). I also came by a thread posted about a year ago that you stated that you wanted to try the newer replacements. I was just curious if you ever got around to trying them out ? I think I might be ordering some MX-4 this evening but I still wanted to see if you've had any experience with it.

No, I never did try it out. Vapor over at Skinnee labs did some testing of the 3 compounds and from what I saw there, I didn't see any reason to change. The little difference in temps he saw between MX-2 and MX-4 wasn't worth changing for.

No, I never did try it out. Vapor over at Skinnee labs did some testing of the 3 compounds and from what I saw there, I didn't see any reason to change. The little difference in temps he saw between MX-2 and MX-4 wasn't worth changing for.
Hmm, interesting review. I e-mailed Prolimatech asking which TIM comes included with the Megahalems. Seeing as their website only lists one available for purchase (The PK-1), I assume that's what is included, but I'm looking for some sort of confirmation. Might snag some MX-2 as well just for testing measures.

Yeah, it's PK1 that comes with it. I used to own a Megahalems and that is what it came with.
Well that's great news then! According to the 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test, the PK-1 and MX-2 are only .10C off (MX-2 being the cooler of the two). But honestly, I can't justify paying any amount of money for that minuscule of an improvement (Which might not even apply to my setup).

Thanks a bunch to muddocktor and LennyRhys for constant help/attention to all of my threads (Don't worry, there will be more coming too!:thup:)

Yeah, it's PK1 that comes with it. I used to own a Megahalems and that is what it came with.

are you positive on this? Its not stated on the syringe; I thought it might be and tried it. I got worse temps with the megahalem tim vs AS5; quite a bit worse too:shrug:
PK-1 is supposed to be at the top. Maybe my megahalems are older than when they came out with PK-1:shrug: my megahalems are revB.

Back