• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Proper motherboard voltages/timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC/temps

I've been using pc wizard to monitor the temps, and yes, that was the processor temp. While gaming the 4 cores are staying at a cool 29-30C. That's with the same OC of 220MHz CPU-nb and 3.3Ghz. During the torture test the core temps so far are staying at 43-45C.

Last edited:
We're still not speaking the same language. Are you equating "processor temp" with "core temps" or "CPU temp"?

It would be helpful to us if you would use CoreTemp as that is what the vast majority of us on the forum use to monitor CPU internal temps. HWMonitor is another great program which gives both CPU temps and core temps plus lots of info about other temps and voltages.

Those are acceptable temps, easy. After about 10 min. of Prime the temp will reach within about 2c of the highest it will be during a long test. Kind of handy to know that as you are overclocking as it saves time in the early and intermediate stages of the overclock process.

Current OC

Okay, I upped the FSB to 230, and the computer would make it through POST but not boot into windows successfully. I backed it down to 225MHz, and it's currently going through the stress tests at the same temps. I posted another ss just in case, but I think this should be as high as it'll probably go. Thank you again for all your help with this.

Attachments

• Cpuid-oc.jpg
    Cpuid-oc.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 159
Set your CPU-NB voltage to 1.2 and put the memory voltage at 1.525. That might help stability. I have the Propus 630 and it needs about 1.4-1.45 vcore to get to 3.5 ghz. I just put a Propus 640 in a friends computer and got it to 3.4 ghz on 1.425 vcore. That is with a big aftermarket air coolers in both cases. Just to give you an idea. You're doing good so far. Don't worry about small variations in memory timings from what you see in the JEDEC tables, at least not for the timings that have big numbrs like tRAS and tRC. Whether its 34 or 33 probably won't make or break it. For CAS Latency and Command Rate however, one bump in the wrong direction can make it instantly unstable.

Last edited:
Yes, QI is correct. You need to relax those timings at that speed. Also, could you shrink those pics down next time so we don't have to scroll from side to side to see all of them. There's a great little free program called "PixResizer" that you can use for this. 640x480 is a good size.

Also, could you shrink those pics down next time so we don't have to scroll from side to side to see all of them. There's a great little free program called "PixResizer" that you can use for this. 640x480 is a good size.
It's even easier, after attaching the pics, to use the paperclip tool (next to the smilie tool) to place the images in the post directly. That way the forum resizer will take care of it. :)

Thanks for the tip. Now I remember someone else said that a while back but I couldn't remember the specifics. That is handy to know.

OC

I took the overclocked settings off as I was getting bsod's. I will however try with the settings QI mentioned. As far as the RAM goes, I set had set them to those settings cause I thought that's what trents had meant in the post above by "turn your RAM down to 533MHz". Also, I never did get clarification, am I supposed to turn the dram ratio down so the ram is not overclocked? If I leave it at the setting in the BIOS 1:3.33 then the adjusted ram frequencies with the 2 previous oc's I attempted were 1400MHz and 1466MHz, however I was turning it down to 1:2.66 which was putting the adjusted frequency at 1173MHz, and 1200MHz, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
RAM overclocking is more than just the speed, it's also timings. To keep your RAM from being overclocked you need to use the timings from the 609 MHz column (or even the 685 MHz column) but keep the RAM speed below those numbers. For your set-up at this point using the 1:2.66 RAM divider and 609 MHz timings is good. If you increase the clock much higher you will need to keep the same divider but use the 685 MHz (9-9-9-25) timings.

OC

Okay, I tried it with the new settings and there's no bsod's as of yet. Current OC is 225 MHz FSB, for 3.375GHz on the processor. The RAM is set to 8-8-8-24(auto)-29, the reason for the one timing that should be 22 to auto is that that timing will only be allowed an auto setting in the BIOS. It was the same with the voltages. I tried to change the voltages to the settings you recommended, but there also, the motherboard would only allow for auto setting. It did say something in the description on the right something about left+shift +10 and right+shift -10 but idk what that means, and when I hit the shift keys they didn't do anything, lol. However, with the new settings in addition to no BSOD's as of yet, the computer also don't seem sluggish, which is kind of how it was with the old settings (part of the reason I took to OC off once I started getting the blue screens).

Last edited:
shift+right/left probably means holding the shift key then depressing the right or left arrow key on the keyboard (or maybe the 10-key). Often the "+" and "-" keys, or in this case the shift+right/shirt+left, are used to make changes in BIOS instead of having a menu available.

Voltages

So, if I'm not having any issues as far as bsod's or temps during torture testing with Prime95, should I even go in and attempt to still manually adjust those votages, or leave as is. Also, with the HT link at x8 it's at 1760MHz, with the cpu-nb at 2250. On the normal settings the HT link is at 2000MHz just like the cpu-nb... would it be possible, or of any benefit to go to x9 on the HT Link? Doing the math I see that the HT Link would then be at 2025MHz with the current OC. However, if I went down to 220MHz on the FSB it would be a processor speed of 3.3GHz and with HT Link x9 it would be 1980MHz. Is there a disadvantage to having the HT Link slower than the Cpu-nb?

I, personally, think it's a bad idea to OC with Auto voltage settings. I'd set them manually to whatever they're running right now on Auto.

If you're stable then you might try increasing the clock speed some more - no reason not to, really. Your load core temp seems to be good - if I'm reading your post right.

I'd leave the HT Link where it is. There is very little, if any, performance gain running a faster HT Link speed and I sure wouldn't sacrifice CPU speed for it - that's very counter-productive. If you want better performance push the CPU some more ... :)

OC higher

The fastest the FSB overclocked to with the previous RAM settings at 533MHz was 225MHz. When I tried 230MHz the pc made it through POST, but upon attempting to load windows it would restart. I'll try adjusting the voltages again, and maybe try to bring it up more depending on if it lets me adjust the voltages. If it doesn't allow me to adjust those I'm assuming I probably shouldn't try to overclock it further?

OC/Voltages

I tried to do 230MHz on the FSB again for a processor speed of 3.450, and again it would not boot into windows. It did give me a bsod this time though, which it hadn't when I tried with the 7-7-7 ram timings. The bsod it gave me said USB Driver BUGCODE or something like that. I then tried 230MHz again with the 685MHz ram timings as you indicated I may have to, and it booted successfully. Also, I tried adjusting the voltages but it still wouldn't let me as far as I know. Specifically it read- Left+Shift: step +10 Right+Shift: step +20 for the processor. For the cpu-nb it said Left-Shift: +10 Right-Shift: -10 .... none of which any combination of pressing did anything. However in the H/W monitor the cpu-nb is at 1.208 currently.

Last edited:
screenshot of current settings

I noticed the timing that it only allows for auto setting of on the RAM is set to 20 when it should be 25 under the 685MHz settings. Do you have any idea what would be the cause of this and if I can fix it? If the system stays stable under stress-testing is it something that can be left alone? I even tried clearing the CMOS and loading the optimal defaults to get the RAM back to the original timings in order to try the overclock from there. It still put the Cycle Time at 20 clocks. I'm going to go back to the previous overclock with the 8-8-8 timings until I hear further.

Attachments

• Cpuid-oc.jpg
    Cpuid-oc.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I think you need to bump the vcore some more. Let' have a look at the "SPD" tab again.

Show us a pic of your bios Memory timing section. Surely there is a way to change the values. Sometimes there is a "Master" manual setting for the Memory that has to be set to "Manual" before you can manually change the individual timings. And sometimes you need to use the "+" and "-" keys to make the changes rather than the number keys.

Back