• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros And Cons about Acrylic Cases

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
martinjon666 said:
LOL...Thanks for all the ideas guys. Newbinerd, I work in a cabinet shop, i cut out a 120mm circle at work and used plastic inserts for the screws so all i have to do is drill the four holes for the mounting screws then mount my template and using a flush trim router bit......Ta Da!.... 120mm fans coming up!

WWUHHHHH!!!!!!! Luuucckkyyy!!!! Anyways.. the thing is the holes and especially the fans themselves don't have exactly 120mm holes... if u just cut out a 120mm hole.. that hole might be too big for the fan.. what i mean is that there will be abit of space showing up on the side of the fan.. does that make sense??? Like i have a 120mm fan here and it measured (the hole in the fan itself and not the # x # measurement) 11.2cm.

well.. good luck!!! Lucky bum!!!

well Rich there goes my plans for using my wife's case as a beer fridge! As to the fan size, i got an old 120mm fan and used that to cut out the template so that the hole was just as big as the fan blades, the only time you have to be careful is when you are tightening the template onto the case. The router works rather well because it is
going so fast it heats up the acrylic just enough so that you can do it without it cracking. it smelled rather bad, and you have to kinda work it, but thats a small price to pay for A LOT better cooling.

After this thread i may not want to go with an acrylic case afterall, any ideas on cute girly girl cases?(not like stupid flowers or anything, i tried that one already)

martinjon666 said:
one concern i heard about was adequate cooling, as there are no clear cases with 120mm fans yet

www.clearpc.ca

they can make whatever you want. pricey but they look awesome. I ordered a custom one that is being built right now. will be my first acrylic case. fingerprints will be tough, but there are cleaners that won't scratch.

You don't get a ClearPC just because they're preassembled, they're higher quality than the Logisys cases, and cheaper than the high end ones. I would get a case centered around a micro ATX motherboard, or another small form factor, and with a handle on top. That way it's nice and portable, you don't have to put your back into carrying the thing(like with my case)

Fingerprints are only noticable from certain angles so it shouldn't bother you.

Back