• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros and Cons of Windows 8 over previous versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I alt+tab to the desktop all of the time lol, you never even need to move the mouse except to double click on the desktop icon.

An example of different usage scenarios. I have three screens. The only thing on my desktop is the recycle bin. It annoys me to no end to have to minimize any applications. Generally speaking with all of my programming and work related applications I probably have about 15-20 application windows open.

overbearing UAC (toned down in Windows 7, toned back up slightly in 8, not to mention the registry hack if you want to turn UAC off completely in 8)

I will forever question disabling UAC. We'll leave that in the already discussed category. I was sure in Windows 8 that they made it pop up less. The only microsoft app that I notice it pops up with is regedit.

I picture you as the hipster, always having to have the newest gadget regardless of it's quality, like Beats headphones, iPads, etc.

Nope. I don't own an ipad or any plain jane tablet and my primary headphones are a pair of sony noise-cancelling ear buds. I'm sad you shot down my image of you. I suppose I could have guessed young too based on the way you argue rather than debate.

An example of different usage scenarios. I have three screens. The only thing on my desktop is the recycle bin. It annoys me to no end to have to minimize any applications. Generally speaking with all of my programming and work related applications I probably have about 15-20 application windows open.

For me, my desktop becomes a place for temp files and folders of things I am working on, no matter what OS. :)

Win 7 and Win 8 are both great OSes in their own rights. Just stick with what best works for you. No point in arguing which one is better. To me, they both are about the same with each having its own peculiarities.

Just a quick question on Win 8, why is it that you now have to revert back to Win 7 on the HWbot?? Yes both OS have there plus and minus, seems to me Win 7 is making a come back some what!! Plus if you look at the Sales of Win 8 it is a bit of a Depressing picture!

Just a quick question on Win 8, why is it that you now have to revert back to Win 7 on the HWbot??

I think it has to do with some timing thing in Win 8. Won't affect an ordinary user but it might skew results just a wee bit when overclocking. Frankly, I don't know very much.

Just a quick question on Win 8, why is it that you now have to revert back to Win 7 on the HWbot?? Yes both OS have there plus and minus, seems to me Win 7 is making a come back some what!! Plus if you look at the Sales of Win 8 it is a bit of a Depressing picture!

The issue with hwbot is detailed pretty well in the other thread (see the first part of this thread for a link if you want to read more) there is basically an issue that could allow people to cheat.

@mbentley, Server 2012 R2 preview is out, and I set up a VM with it with Windows Azure... the aggregated search you described as coming in 8.1 works flawlessly in 2012 R2. :) :) :) By default it searches 'Everywhere', but you can change it to 'Settings' or 'Files', and presumably 'Apps' on 8.1.

I will have to check that out. I work with Azure a bit on the side of my day-to-day work as a project with others at my company so seeing what they have done would be neat.

Azure is awesome for stuff like this. I get $150/month in Azure credits as part of my MSDN subscription for work... building out a cloud VM takes a couple minutes compared to a couple hours of downloading the ISO, and installing with Virtual Box... and it costs like $0.29/hour or whatever to run the VM.

Microsoft is packaging Azure credit with licensing packages these days which is causing more and more clients to come to us, basically asking "what can we do with Azure?" They aren't exactly interested in Azure by itself but since they are technically already paying for it, they might as well use it. I think Azure has a long way to go but it is certainly a step in the right direction. Now do I ever see myself having a desktop in the cloud? Not really but never say never ;)

Yeah, it will be a while, imo, before it takes off to a consumer market.. but right now for a developer it's extremely useful.

Back