• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pros and Cons of Windows 8 over previous versions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The SSD with my main OS - Win 7 died and the SSD has now gone back to OCZ under warranty.

Reverted to Win 8.1 Preview on my HDD (formerly, dual boot) until the SSD comes back. Installed PaperPort. Couldn't scan. So re-installed drivers from the printer's Install Disk. Still cannot scan.

Could be user error. But it seems I encounter far less user errors with Win 7.

The SSD with my main OS - Win 7 died and the SSD has now gone back to OCZ under warranty.

Reverted to Win 8.1 Preview on my HDD (formerly, dual boot) until the SSD comes back. Installed PaperPort. Couldn't scan. So re-installed drivers from the printer's Install Disk. Still cannot scan.

Could be user error. But it seems I encounter far less user errors with Win 7.

Wouldn't it be nice if an OS could support all 3rd party applications immediately after release? Keep in mind that it's usually the application developer, not the OS developer, that makes their software work with the latest and greatest version of Windows. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if an OS could support all 3rd party applications immediately after release? Keep in mind that it's usually the application developer, not the OS developer, that makes their software work with the latest and greatest version of Windows. :)

Unfortunately, most of the software I have were bought pre-Win 8. It would be nice if I could migrate all of them to Win 8. Then I won't have to pay again.

I believe what he is referring to is the fact that applications with multiple windows (and without) stack onto their quicklaunch icon, like so:

Yes, this is what I am referring to. It works the same in Windows 7 as it does Windows 8. I just never really took advantage of it in Windows 7 because I didn't use Windows 7 that much. I was using primarily Debian when Windows 7 was out and at work, I was still on Windows XP.

Windows 8.1 Beta is very buggy and should not be used as bases of comparison until version 8.1 Final comes out. In fact, 8.1 Beta can't even make it through to even be installed on some systems where Windows 8 was already running, that's how buggy it is.

General rule is, if it works under Windows 7 - it should work under Windows 8. Sometimes running it in compatibility mode is required, sometimes there are workarounds which are very involved, like getting WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS to run under Windows 8 - it can be done.

Scanner/Printer manufacturers are *notorious* for making sure their hardware does not run on new versions of Windows - no prizes for gue$$ing why.

This was painfully obvious when Vista came out and Windows XP hardware could not make the transfer. But there are workarounds, here's how I got a scanner which supposedly only works under Windows XP, to work under Vista/7/8, I experimented with similar model but newer model drivers and it worked!

To install Visioneer One Touch 9020 scanner under Windows Vista or Windows 7:
1) Install Windows XP 9020 drivers.
2) Install Windows Vista drivers for 9420.
3) Plug in your scanner and manually select 9420 drivers for it.

or go to Control Panel > Device Manager, right click on the Unknown Device (it's the one with Properties > Details of USB\VID_04A7& PID...) > Update Driver Software... >
Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from the device drivers on my computer >
Next > UNCHECK: Show compatible hardware > Select Visioneer on the left side and Visioneer 9420 on the right side > Next > Yes > Close.

This thread entertains me every time I check it. Especially Culbrelai - I picture him as an old man in a rocking chair on the porch with his shotgun in one hand and his old dusty windows xp machine cradled in the other. Anyway onto my responses for the day...

W8 just plain sucks! It has no redeeming value in my opinion and is a giant step backwards in simplicity and ease of use.

Everyone including me said that when they first started using it. Give it time to eat your soul.

1. Shut down/restart interface is kludgy

I think I shut down or restart my computer once every month. It doesn't bother me at all that it takes one second more. This agrees with the stability comments for windows 8 too... As an added bonus when I do restart happen to restart my computer from restart click to entering my password takes 5.2 seconds.

I use the Start Menu constantly, rather than clutter up my taskbar with pinned programs, I use the Start Menu, lol. Makes a lot more sense really to have a desktop with icons you use almost every day, and then a menu with cascading options for lesser used programs.

It is rare that I can see icons on my desktop. I don't want to minimize applications to find it. I pin the applications I use the most (windows key, 0 is the first spot on the taskbar, 1 is the next, etc). Second most I use the first few spots on the start screen. (Windows key, down or right arrow combination). The applications I rarely use I have to hit windows key and a few letters in the application name.

I constantly open Windows Explorer from the start menu to browse places, the large list of most commonly used programs I use a whole lot. It is a step backward in usability.

I never relied on that list as it was always changing. I can understand being sad to see that go if you do. Usability issue for you but perhaps not for others.

Windows 8's adoption rate is very slow I dont remember the benchmark they used, slower than Vista's adoption rate IIRC.

Yeah unfortunately windows 8 suffers from bad press as did windows vista. I didn't mind vista at all once they resolved all of the driver issues. I found it better than xp though I couldn't tell you anymore what I liked about it.

I am just curious, do you have a source for your claim of the Metro interface being a snap decision? I haven't ever heard exactly what the decision making process was on that so I am genuinely curious.

Metro was not a snap decision. M$'s primary goal with the windows 8 family was to make an OS that would have a similar interface on all devices. Even windows phone 8 works very much like windows 8.

It's not as secure as Windows 7, but a lot of it's problems can be mitigated simply by conscious use practices.

I still argue this. As I said before I haven't had any security related calls yet from friends or family on windows 8. Windows 7 I've had numerous even just in the past month. I have to say this concept extends to server 2012 too. It is the first microsoft server operating system where I don't cringe when I have to make a major change. I had to remove exchange, dns, and domain from a 2012 server. Under windows 2008 when trying to do something similar I ended up reformatting the server twice. Once because when I did remove services all of the sudden other services started failing. The second time because during installation something took a wrong turn during the installation of a service and the machine wouldn't boot. Sure I don't have as much experience with 2012 as I do with previous versions but I was very impressed with how much better configuration is.

Remember how many times XP was extended because people refused to move to Vista?

I see the same thing happening to 7.

We'll see if M$ learned their lesson but I would not be in the least bit surprised.

Even Micro$haft acknowledges that you're better off using a touch interface with Windows 8.

I've ever used the touch screen on my convertible laptop. I cannot get past fingerprints on my screen. I also rarely use my mouse/touchpad either. All M$ did is give you the option and said "amg guys you should try it". Does it bother you that the tiles are big so they could be used for touch if you wanted to? It doesn't bother me that fast food places put ketchup in the bag when I buy fries.

and STILL make a seperate one (Windows RT) for tablets?

I think the biggest problem facing both windows RT and windows phone 8 is the lack of quality apps. It's silly to me that Microsoft assumed it could launch an entirely new app platform and sell mobile devices at the same time. The windows store needed time to fill. They are both very obviously young operating systems too. Windows phone 8 is missing things like a notification center, task manager, etc. Windows RT I see fading whenever intel launches the full array of haswell LV processors.

Awktane you're amazing. Have my babies.

Unfortunately for you, I'm married. Also - the creak of your rocking chair and that shotgun both scare me. I hope you don't take offense to my image of you... it is not meant to be an attack or anything. Feel free to let me know if it bothers you at all and I will remove it. Love you long time!

The one remaining functionality gripe for me is that you cannot group files/folders anywhere on Windows 7 or Windows 8 other than their Desktops.

What do you mean by group files or folders together? Do you mean visually as you can in most of the apple/linux world?

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Paint

You can do this sort of organization under windows 7 and 8 (perhaps prior as well) by using the windows toolbar (right click taskbar, toolbars, new toolbar...). It basically pins a folder off to the right of the taskbar that opens like a menu. I use it to pin things like shortcuts to open VPN connections, mount truecrypt volumes, etc while still keeping them organized in a folder view.

Edit: Wow I wrote a book! Look for me in your local book store in the loonie bin. (Canadians will catch the double entendre there!)

Last edited:
Right, it works the same in Windows 8 as it does under Windows 7, so what's the problem?

I'm not saying it is a problem at all. I was just pointing out another place where you can put applications that you run all of the time where it doesn't even take up any extra space and only requires a single click of the mouse and it doesn't take you to the Metro interface either if you're running without Classic Shell.

I think the biggest problem facing both windows RT and windows phone 8 is the lack of quality apps. It's silly to me that Microsoft assumed it could launch an entirely new app platform and sell mobile devices at the same time. The windows store needed time to fill. They are both very obviously young operating systems too. Windows phone 8 is missing things like a notification center, task manager, etc. Windows RT I see fading whenever intel launches the full array of haswell LV processors.

Yeah, that has been a big deal for them. Microsoft is literally paying companies to make apps for their app store. We were working on a project at work to make a Windows Store application that also integrated with Windows Azure where Microsoft was footing the bill for the work if we completed by a specific date.

Scanner/Printer manufacturers are *notorious* for making sure their hardware does not run on new versions of Windows - no prizes for gue$$ing why. [/spoiler]

Is that ever the truth!!!!

For years I used higher end HP scanners with document feeders to maintain a mostly paperless filing system using Paperport. After upgrading to W7 a few years back I was surprised to suddenly learn my $650 HP scanner software was not compatible with W7. I compensated for a while using a virtual instance of XP but there were just too many issues and inconveniences. I tried third part software solutions but they just did not have the productivity the HP software had. I ultimately was forced to replace my perfectly good HP scanner, that met all my needs, with an Epson scanner. Not only is the Epson a faster better scanner, the software blows away what I previously thought was a good HP software package.

The unecessary $700 I spent on the new Epson scanner has created a very deep seated animosity toward HP that I do not think will dissapate for many years.

I don't have much time to read all this thread so I only want to say that for me Win7 and Win8 are generally the same. It's hard to find anyone who likes new start menu so I won't say much about it as I would repeat many other users.

Win8 to me looks like something that Microsoft made to fill the gap and make some money instead of releasing free SP2 for Win7. They actually say in marketing documents/presentations to tell customers that Win8 is Win7+ so it's the same ... but better.
I'm working in IT and most our customers still ask for Win7 instead of Win8 or they ask for downgrade as they dislike Win8. I'm talking about business computers.

The only thing ( except menu ;) ) that I dislike in Win8 is that many things take more time to run/find like power/reset button and some others. Can live with that but really MS is just complicating simple things and say that it's better this way.

Scanner/Printer manufacturers are *notorious* for making sure their hardware does not run on new versions of Windows - no prizes for gue$$ing why.

Also with most printers these days you're doing well if they last long enough for M$ to launch a service pack let alone a new version of windows...

I had always biggest issues with HP drivers. They usually stop supporting products in 1-2 years since release.
All Kyocera printers are working fine as far as I know. Some other brands depends but most stuff that was working under Win7 is working in Win8.

What do you mean by group files or folders together? Do you mean visually as you can in most of the apple/linux world?

This affects both Windows 7 and 8. Under Windows XP, you click on one file and place it anywhere on the screen. You can do that under Windows XP inside any folder, anywhere. You can then group other files on another part of the screen because Auto-Arrange can be turned OFF under Windows XP. But under Windows 7/8...

Auto-Arrange is Mandatory. :screwy:

You can change how files are auto-arranged but you cannot group files/folders on different parts of the screen in order to sort them out easier, you cannot do that anywhere except on Windows 7/8 Desktop. Everywhere else, all files/folders are auto-arranged alphabetically or by size or in other ways but you cannot turn auto-arrange off and temporarily group files/folders for work.

To be able to do this is crucial for work, for all the reasons you can think of, insurance files or photographs you need to group for publishing in different locations or maybe you're making as we said in the old days, mix tapes, and you want to take one song file at a time and group several files on different parts of the screen to sort them out, before moving them to their final destination... Usefulness of this appears to be obvious more to the inexperienced Windows users, it's the first thing my wife said when I got her a Windows 8 laptop (she used Windows XP before that) 'why can't I move these around any more' she said pointing to files & folders? Because Microsoft Developers, in their Wisdom, know what you want to choose to do better than you do... you have no choice, you will use the new OS as they want you to use it - or you won't use it at all.

So nowhere in there am I saying that one way is the better way, none of us should put forward how we ourselves, like things to be as justification of how they should be. Our common enemy are MS Chief Developers who approved taking way the choice to customize things in different ways -- to choose b/w default Desktop and default Metro Tiles.

I'm not saying it is a problem at all. I was just pointing out another place where you can put applications that you run all of the time where it doesn't even take up any extra space and only requires a single click of the mouse and it doesn't take you to the Metro interface either if you're running without Classic Shell.

Without Classic Shell, you boot into Metro instead of into Desktop and the *%#$@! Charms Bar pops up constantly because you accidentally touched your laptop or accidentally went with your mouse cursor to the forbidden zone, and the Charms Bar especially likes to pop-up when people are in a hurry to finish their work and the Charms Bar is covering the screen when they never asked it to... you cannot turn Charms Bar off unless you install Classic Shell.

I thought earlier you were talking about how WIn7/Win8 are different using that example whereas, with Classic Shell installed they are exactly the same, only you get Metro Tiles and *everything* else Windows 8 has to offer except it is not forced on you, you activate it with a single click, which guess what, most people don't even do because there are no Metro Apps they are interested in yet.

I'm working in IT and most our customers still ask for Win7 instead of Win8 or they ask for downgrade as they dislike Win8. I'm talking about business computers.

Why go through the entire long mess of complete OS reinstall when you can give them what they want through Classic Shell?

And the second part of what you said should be filed under quotes for the win: ..."many things take more time to run/find like power/reset button and some others. Can live with that but really MS is just complicating simple things and say that it's better this way."

Why go through the entire long mess of complete OS reinstall when you can give them what they want through Classic Shell?

At least in Poland you can order laptop or some AIO PCs with Win8 and Win7 downgrade option so all you have to do is to run system recovery from image and you have Win7. If I'm right it's available only for some business series. I never had to make downgrade with full reinstall. If client orders desktop or laptop with Win7 and there is only available with preinstalled Win8 then I can always buy computer without OS or order one with Win7 from distribution/manufacturer.

Woomack, if you are looking at an already installed Windows 8, then simply installing Classic Shell correctly would give the user everything Windows 7 would, and then they would have an option - just an option - to take advantage of all Windows 8 Extras.

If they choose to never use them, they don't ever have to but why give up the option if you they get a complete Windows 7-looking Windows 8 instead of Windows 8 Metro they dislike so much.

This thread entertains me every time I check it. Especially Culbrelai - I picture him as an old man in a rocking chair on the porch with his shotgun in one hand and his old dusty windows xp machine cradled in the other. Anyway onto my responses for the day...

My machine is in my sig, all Windows 7 lol, plus, I am 19 and I don't own a rocking chair nor a shotgun.

I think I shut down or restart my computer once every month. It doesn't bother me at all that it takes one second more. This agrees with the stability comments for windows 8 too... As an added bonus when I do restart happen to restart my computer from restart click to entering my password takes 5.2 seconds.

I shut mine down every day because I would prefer it to last untill at least 1 critical part dies (I'm betting it will be my motherboard eventually, thing is pretty touchy)

It is rare that I can see icons on my desktop. I don't want to minimize applications to find it. I pin the applications I use the most (windows key, 0 is the first spot on the taskbar, 1 is the next, etc). Second most I use the first few spots on the start screen. (Windows key, down or right arrow combination). The applications I rarely use I have to hit windows key and a few letters in the application name.

I alt+tab to the desktop all of the time lol, you never even need to move the mouse except to double click on the desktop icon.

I never relied on that list as it was always changing. I can understand being sad to see that go if you do. Usability issue for you but perhaps not for others.

Of course it changes, with your usage of programs, they either ascend the list or descend completely off the list. One of the most useful features of Windows imo. Love it to death. In XP the menu was even bigger, the shortcuts to the programs were smaller on the list of most commonly used programs so there were more of them.

Yeah unfortunately windows 8 suffers from bad press as did windows vista. I didn't mind vista at all once they resolved all of the driver issues. I found it better than xp though I couldn't tell you anymore what I liked about it.

Bad press because it sucks, although not as bad as Vista sucked. Don't even get me started on Vista, it's rampant DRM built in, overbearing UAC (toned down in Windows 7, toned back up slightly in 8, not to mention the registry hack if you want to turn UAC off completely in 8)

Metro was not a snap decision. M$'s primary goal with the windows 8 family was to make an OS that would have a similar interface on all devices. Even windows phone 8 works very much like windows 8.

They got this idea from Apple, whose OS's are different yet very similar, not exact like Microsoft did for Tablets and Desktops at least. I think it was a snap decision, they saw what Apple did in 2007ish with the iPhone and scrambled to match them. Apple's OS's are not exact because they realize that using the exact same interface for devices with different uses makes ZERO sense at all.

However, running legacy desktop programs like you can do on a Surface Pro... That is something I give M$ credit for. Brilliant idea there.

I've ever used the touch screen on my convertible laptop. I cannot get past fingerprints on my screen. I also rarely use my mouse/touchpad either. All M$ did is give you the option and said "amg guys you should try it". Does it bother you that the tiles are big so they could be used for touch if you wanted to? It doesn't bother me that fast food places put ketchup in the bag when I buy fries.

This relates back to what I said earlier. If they just dropped the very silly idea of everyone having a touchscreen (not going to happen considering they cost a ton, get fingerprints which many don't care for, and in this economy people aren't buying new computers often, etc.) they'd be much better off. The extra space needed for touch interfaces with their frills and such could be filled with useful information.

Unfortunately for you, I'm married. Also - the creak of your rocking chair and that shotgun both scare me. I hope you don't take offense to my image of you... it is not meant to be an attack or anything. Feel free to let me know if it bothers you at all and I will remove it. Love you long time!

I never said that, also kids are annoying as hell. I picture you as the hipster, always having to have the newest gadget regardless of it's quality, like Beats headphones, iPads, etc.

Win8 to me looks like something that Microsoft made to fill the gap and make some money instead of releasing free SP2 for Win7. They actually say in marketing documents/presentations to tell customers that Win8 is Win7+ so it's the same ... but better.

The only thing ( except menu ) that I dislike in Win8 is that many things take more time to run/find like power/reset button and some others. Can live with that but really MS is just complicating simple things and say that it's better this way.

Truth, agree 100%.

This affects both Windows 7 and 8. Under Windows XP, you click on one file and place it anywhere on the screen. You can do that under Windows XP inside any folder, anywhere. You can then group other files on another part of the screen because Auto-Arrange can be turned OFF under Windows XP. But under Windows 7/8...

Auto-Arrange is Mandatory.

Oh yeah, I remember that, being annoyed slightly by my files not being in perfect rows and columns occasionally because of my drags and drops, but I could see how that could be sad to see go. I generally dislike it when they take away consumer choices. Auto Arrange is forced on, huh. Maybe you should look through the registry to see if there's anything on Auto Arrange...

You don't have to justify your habits, no one has to justify wanting to do whatever they want to do with their own machine.

It's not between using it way A or way B - it's about having the option for both. Whoever offers justification for not giving both options can only do so because there is no alternative for us now. The moment an alternative with full customizations appears - we will jump ship. Their monopoly is the only reason we are even having this discussion.

Back