• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps/2 expansion card on z77x-ud5h???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lancsDavid

i'm getting a new mobo (gigabyte Z77X-UD5H). i'm also getting a new keyboard (a DAS one). unfortunately, the gigabyte mobo doesn't have a PS/2 port

this could be a problem, as some people have reported issues with the DAS keyboards when connecting them via USB. apparently they work fine with PS/2, even though you have to use a USB-to-PS/2 adapter with them (which is kinda bizarre, as they only come with USB leads. but still)

so, could i just bung a PS/2 expansion card in the gigabyte motherboard? is this basically just the same as having PS/2 built straight in?????

any illumination appreciated

I am suprised that board has a PCI slot on it but I checked and it does. So yes you could do that. You can get a card for ~$10. IMHO You may be better off buying a motherboard that has a PS2 port on it. I forgot which brand it is (think asus) but they have some boards with 1 PS2 port that will work for either a keyboard or a mouse. The purpose of having the port is for gamers who are using a PS2 connector for some reason or another.

yeh. adapter cards don't cut it, apparently. the keyboard problem still persists

i've found another board though. the asus p8z77-v pro. this has a ps/2 connector as well as some pci slots (for my old audiophile 2496 sound card).

actually quite a few of the asus p8z77 boards have ps/2 connectors. pretty much all in fact except for the higher end ones

yeh. adapter cards don't cut it, apparently. the keyboard problem still persists

i've found another board though. the asus p8z77-v pro. this has a ps/2 connector as well as some pci slots (for my old audiophile 2496 sound card).

actually quite a few of the asus p8z77 boards have ps/2 connectors. pretty much all in fact except for the higher end ones

Glad I could be of some help.

I honestly don't think it's worth the hassle of installing another card for a PS2 port. My keyboard works better when connected via PS/2 (nKRO), but via USB it's still a nice keyboard (6-KRO).

Asrock boards also have PCI slots and PS/2 ports. Glad they do as I didn't think about it when I bought mine, the keyboard I recently bought is PS/2 and I haven't used one in years.

Back