• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 Information

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you guys see the controller? Why the monkeyed with the best controller ever made and did that boomerang shaped one is way beyond me. That'll hurt them.

RedDragonXXX said:
Wow that Blu-ray format is interesting and it will be primary for PS3, 50GB of data storage :drool:
As more I watch about PS3 less I'm thinking about Xbox 360. It's clear that PS3 will come out on top.

Dude, it's way to early to say which will be the "clear" winner of the console market. If there even is one. It's all down to who has the better games. So far I like what the original Xbox has with Jade Empire and the like. I'm not a real console fan, but I'll probably go with the 360 if I do buy a console at all. One reason why I would buy the 360 is that I like to support an american company console maker.

Last edited:
Is the new xbox backwards compatible? If it isn't then that is a huge plus for Sony. Just the fact that you can still play PS1 games is gonna rock. Plus they can leverage of their existing library of PS2 games.

Personally I feel the xbox is a glorified mini-pc and for some reason that just doesn't sit right.

dartor said:
Is the new xbox backwards compatible? If it isn't then that is a huge plus for Sony. Just the fact that you can still play PS1 games is gonna rock. Plus they can leverage of their existing library of PS2 games.

Personally I feel the xbox is a glorified mini-pc and for some reason that just doesn't sit right.

Yes it is, Yes it is... mwuuuuuuuuhahahahahaha

Remember folks the POOR reliability of Sony machines, the laser will quit reading discs before the 1st price drop hits. Owner of 2 non-working PS1s, one semi-working PS1, two non-working PS2s and 1 fully functional PS2. Gee, only had to buy 1 Xbox, 1 TG16CD, 1 Saturn, 1 GenesisCD, 1 3DO...etc..... get a clue SONY!! I'll buy the PS3 but when it breaks you can be DAMN sure that I'm going to buy a new one, the old one goes back in the box and the store gets it back and I get my money back!

Atari said:
Dude, it's way to early to say which will be the "clear" winner of the console market. If there even is one. It's all down to who has the better games. So far I like what the original Xbox has with Jade Empire and the like. I'm not a real console fan, but I'll probably go with the 360 if I do buy a console at all. One reason why I would buy the 360 is that I like to support an american company console maker.

Microsoft is an American company, but you must know that Xbox's get made in Mexico right and that they shipp most of the other jobs out to India (cheep labor). And only people that get benefit from this are those rich stockholders and us avg. consumers don't benefit from this whatsoever.

I have never played favorites when it comes to technology (consoles, video cards ...) I simply go with the better product, but I will be probably buying both of these consoles. From what they have shown us so far PS3 looks better without a doubt and will have much better launch titles than Xbox 360.

RedDragonXXX said:
Check this out.
Must play Killzone 2, best graphics I have ever seen in actuall gameplay. This game will kill Halo and I don't think that any game outhere or in the future can look as good as this. It looks like prerendered CG :drool:

I don't need to see anything else from Sony cause I'm sold, now its Microsofts turn.

Killzone2 looks great. It does lack some finish that I'd expect from Sony's top tier shooter... mainly the reactions of the models in the movie... they seemed a little artificial to me... maybe it was just the way they moved and reacted to being shot... kinda reminded me of those arcade shooters... Area 51 comes to mind. It's funny that you mention Killzone2 killing Halo... since Sony's intent for the original Killzone was to be the "Halo Killer." And kill Halo, it most certainly did not... it got pretty lackluster feedback from reviewers and fans alike... regardless of the nifty eye-candy. This sequel looks great though... almost enough to make me want a PS3... I hope this one will live up to the hype... because I'm betting this game will be what Sony markets to combat Halo 3's release at their launch.

I have a theory about Halo 3 as well. I've got a feeling that Bungie's been quietly working away on Halo 3 this entire time... even while they developed Halo 2. I'm inclined to think that Halo 2 was built around a dumbed-down version of Halo 3's engine. If you think about it... Halo 2 does try to achieve the looks of current/future shooters with the eye candy thrown in there... but the Xbox's hardware can't seem to pull it off. This may be why you see the graphical anomolies, such as poor normal-mapping, missing textures, low res textures swapping to high res textures too late, etc. I have a feeling that Halo 3 could be near completion at this point, and MS is sitting on it just to sabatoge PS3's launch... Any further theories/opinions???

YellowDart said:
I have a theory about Halo 3 as well.......

Its a good theory, no doubt about that. But I think if Halo 3 was even close to being done then we would be seeing a lot of Halo 3 E3 stuff in the next three days. For MS not to show it would be a major maketing faliure.

back to the PS3:
According to Theinquirer Nvidia said RSK+Cell will give two Teraflops. On top of that, RSX is supposed to have 300 million transistors. I think MS has said XBOX 360 has around one teraflop. But I'm not sure if that includes the ATI card or not.

Last edited:
The console that can get hacked into a linux machine first is the winner in my book. Can you imagine folding on either of those guys?

How both the Xbox360 and PS3 manage to not melt themselves is beyond me.

PS3's hardware specs are impressive, but I read somewhere that Xbox360 would let you stream media from any windows PC through the xbox? Is that true?

You've BEEN able to run Linux forever on the DreamCast, Xbox and PS2 :rolleyes:
Yes the streaming music part is true but whether that requires MediaCenter XP or just MediaPlayer 9&10 is still being debated

Albaholic said:
geez all these crazy consoles spank pc specs

True and I don't see how anyone will match the power of the Cell. That thing has more processing power than all previous consoles put together, Xbox 360, and FX 55.

They are good at marketing but there is no saying they won this race. PS2 dominated which is probaly partialy to marketing. Also timing and the PS1. Any way something about the 360 is really turing me off. For one thing I honestly hate the look, though PS3 is not great either. I am hopeing both will look better when they come out.

RedDragonXXX said:
Microsoft is an American company, but you must know that Xbox's get made in Mexico right and that they shipp most of the other jobs out to India (cheep labor). And only people that get benefit from this are those rich stockholders and us avg. consumers don't benefit from this whatsoever.

I have never played favorites when it comes to technology (consoles, video cards ...) I simply go with the better product, but I will be probably buying both of these consoles. From what they have shown us so far PS3 looks better without a doubt and will have much better launch titles than Xbox 360.

Yea I do know that alot of companies are doing just that (even sony), but at least MS headquarters are here. It bites since I just graduated from college and I see so much of it. The entertainment field just totally sucks right now. I mean even Lucasfilm is opening up studio's in China :/. How the hell am I supposed to enjoy episode III knowing that they are going to China (and i'm trying to apply for a job there). Bahh! Don't mind me i'm on a crusade lol.

YellowDart said:
Killzone2 looks great. It does lack some finish that I'd expect from Sony's top tier shooter... mainly the reactions of the models in the movie... they seemed a little artificial to me... maybe it was just the way they moved and reacted to being shot... kinda reminded me of those arcade shooters... Area 51 comes to mind. It's funny that you mention Killzone2 killing Halo... since Sony's intent for the original Killzone was to be the "Halo Killer." And kill Halo, it most certainly did not... it got pretty lackluster feedback from reviewers and fans alike... regardless of the nifty eye-candy. This sequel looks great though... almost enough to make me want a PS3... I hope this one will live up to the hype... because I'm betting this game will be what Sony markets to combat Halo 3's release at their launch.

I have a theory about Halo 3 as well. I've got a feeling that Bungie's been quietly working away on Halo 3 this entire time... even while they developed Halo 2. I'm inclined to think that Halo 2 was built around a dumbed-down version of Halo 3's engine. If you think about it... Halo 2 does try to achieve the looks of current/future shooters with the eye candy thrown in there... but the Xbox's hardware can't seem to pull it off. This may be why you see the graphical anomolies, such as poor normal-mapping, missing textures, low res textures swapping to high res textures too late, etc. I have a feeling that Halo 3 could be near completion at this point, and MS is sitting on it just to sabatoge PS3's launch... Any further theories/opinions???

I said it looked to finished for the dev time they had. It turns out we are both wrong. Its only a gfx demo (RT) like these:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/6800_demos.html

Nothing resembling a finished or even rough game demo. Its in the article about the NV GPU:

http://ps3.ign.com/index/news.html

RedDragonXXX said:
True and I don't see how anyone will match the power of the Cell. That thing has more processing power than all previous consoles put together, Xbox 360, and FX 55.

I'm not really sure what your basing that off of, but if its the flops Sony claims, those are theoretical and will be massively limited by ram/bus speeds, not to mention that CPU theoretical numbers are impossible to reach.

Its like Power ratings on PSUs. Lots of bloated numbers until we actually get to see the next gen consoles for ourselves.

Can't find it to quote it, but I too would like to know how these things aren't melting down at those speeds (the 360 & PS3). Cells at those speeds were suposed to give of massive heat and I can't imagine the 360 chip would be too much cooler.

Has NV let any spec slip. Considering the ATI gfx unit is more like an R600 I'd hope the NV unit is better than 2, 3 or 4 6800's. 300 transistors and teraflops are big numbers, but I want specifics. Whatcha got under the hood NV </Tim Allen voice> argh argh argh argh argh argh

tenchi86 said:
They are good at marketing but there is no saying they won this race. PS2 dominated which is probaly partialy to marketing. Also timing and the PS1. Any way something about the 360 is really turing me off. For one thing I honestly hate the look, though PS3 is not great either. I am hopeing both will look better when they come out.

Yeah, its not much of a choice for either when it comes to styling, BUT Revolution is looking quite nice. Maybe we can put fat and round togather with anorexic hour glass and get something symetrical from the hybrid.

Atari said:
Yea I do know that alot of companies are doing just that (even sony), but at least MS headquarters are here. It bites since I just graduated from college and I see so much of it. The entertainment field just totally sucks right now. I mean even Lucasfilm is opening up studio's in China :/. How the hell am I supposed to enjoy episode III knowing that they are going to China (and i'm trying to apply for a job there). Bahh! Don't mind me i'm on a crusade lol.
I feel you Atari, I had really good thing going with Computer Science (VB, C++) and was going to take it as my major untill I found out that all of those jobs are being shipped to India. I had to switch to Computer Engineering and sub-major in Computer Networking, damn :bang head and I thought that I was going into gaming business.

P.S. Noob I got all that info from the Sony Conference.

Last edited:
RedDragonXXX said:
Ok here are some conspiracy theories:

I don't know if any of you guys know this but Sony referred to Xbox 360 as Xbox 1.5 indicating that their stuff will look much better and now that we have seen hardware specs that could be the case.
Microsoft probably got some leaked info about PS3 early on and they figured out that their only chance would be to launch their console first and spend enormous amount of money on marketing and do same thing that they did with Halo 2 (which in my opinion sucked, Rainbow Six 3 still rules)
Many people are indicating Xbox 360 to be next Dreamcast and you know what that means.
Nintendo isn't revealing anything yet and they probably won't untill 2006, meaning that they will wait untill both consoles hit the market and then release something that will crush them both in order to redeem themselves. Cause let's face it if Nintendo does the same thing that they did with GameCube then they will take the same train wagon that Sega did and only make games and not the hardware.
Nintendo Revolution could be the last console done by Nintendo, but I believe that they will come out with something that will blow us away.

I don't know about you guys but I'm more interesting in seeing on how the wars between the next-gen consoles will turn out than actually playing them.

Other than the dreamcast I have soley bought Nintendo products for the past 15 years, but I will say right now that I will not be buying a revolution. Nintendo does not have the quantity of quality games anymore. They fail to realize that being nintendo will not win. They have already stated that the revolution will not be about terraflops/polygons ect, but about inovation and games. So far I have not seen anything from revolution to make it seem like a revolution.

Nintendo is so far doing the same thing as they did with Gamecube. The 3rd party support will be even lower than what it was on the gamecube. They just lost Silicon Knights(Eternal Darkness) and lost Rare a long time ago. Sega is not kicking out the titles that it used to for gamecube and I am doubting many other 3rd partys will be contibuting as many titles for the revolution. Nintendo has been missing out on titles ever since the N64 came out and its only been getting worse even though the gamecube is considered to be easier to develop for and more powerful than the PS2.

Nintendo just doesnt market well, they havent since the SNES came out. Look at this years E3, its the biggest video game marketing event of the year and we get little to nothing about revolution. Compared to Microsoft and Sony which are shoving PS3 and XBox 360 info into every website, magazine ect. Nintendo thinks they need to keep things secret or other people will steal their ideas, yet they havent had a significant "revolution" for quite some time.

I remember Mario Sunshine was ultra top secret because it had such an innovating idea. It turned out to be a water Jet pack that added to the gameplay but hardly something that you need to keep secret. Nintendo kills themselves by not marketing, not generating hype. In the gaming industry, if you have a killer product, you need to market! market! market! There are many awsome titles that are highly rated but never really mainstream. Alot of it comes to down to marketing, which I give Nintendo a grade of an F.

They live in their own world and think nothing will hurt them. My predictions for Nintendo are that the revolution will have the least number of games released this upcoming generation by far, will be the least expensive at launch, will be the least powerful and finish 3rd overall by a significant margin.

Nintendo needed to have an awsome E3 that would generate a lot of hype for "revolution" and so far it hasnt. Sure its not coming out for quite some time but when it comes to EA, Capcom ect and they look at what the profitability potential for the next 24 months is of each console and with the 95% of the gaming community currently going nuts over Xbox 360 and the PS3 its easy to see who they will be putting titles out for.

Back