• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 major cooling help..and opinions :D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

|/3|\|0/|/|

Registered
Start info:
-PHAT PS3, 80 GB Model, close to 5 yrs old
-Purchased day one for less than 300.00 with a K-Mart online coupon LOLOL
-Not many mods done, just a chipset increased RAM modification for more speed
-Used with 1500W home cinema, Samsung 40" 3D TV, HD all the way around

Here is the deal, I use this PS3 daily, and It has run probably close to 2K hours by now. I blow it out with an industrial blow gun at my transmission shop once a month to clean up dust..but it still goes nuts after a day of run time. Sounds like a vacuum some days. Perfect shape as well, almost mint looking.

The stock fan sucks big fat *** for the most part I hear..and I want upgrades done with this thing, and still perfectly usable and decent looking.

Budget is about 150.00 as I am saving for an 08' Yamaha R6.

Are there any better or upgraded fans that are way better and quiet?

OR...

Can I purchase a specially made PC conversion case for this thing and cool that?

OR...

Is there any water cooling available that can be purchased and done?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I'm sure there are PS3 mods on the net, even youtube.

A old PC case, or a new nice HTPC case will work.

Try there, all I can say, we is more of a PC forum here. maybe some one here has done it or can linky to it. Dust will always be an issue, but much easier to handle than the teeny openings the PS3 has now. I'm sure with a bit of expert Google-Fu you can find stuff.

I know there is even watercooling blocks for a XBOX and the 360. Dunno about the PS3, but good air cooling would do wonders.

Good luck! Might try this in the gaming forum too.

It was pretty expensive since it used the pre-built Koolance fan/pump setup.

The blocks were also aluminum, not copper, so you could have corrosion issues.

Yu could measure the size of the chips, and see if some old Danger Den or Swiftech or etc etc CPU blocks or even NB blocks are big enough, then build your own mounts for the holes in the PS3 board. Then buy the standard pump res rad and be done with it.

Back