• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 or 360?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If I had to choose between a 360 and a PS3 it would be a tossup (at this point in time).

PS3 Has: folding capabilities, blu-ray, fewer hardware issues.

Xbox 360 Has: More games that I want to buy, Xbox live/Achievement system.

I would say that if you are in the market for both a blu-ray player and a console go the PS3 route.

The xbox 360 fans aren't louder than any normal pc. It's the dvd drive that's the loud part. And it is really loud especially in Mass Effect.

I've got all 3 and if I were buying on hardware alone then I'd probably go for the PS3. It's only $50 more (not counting the crappy arcade 360), has BluRay and the media functions are catching up to the 360.

If I were buying based on software, then I'd go 360 hands down. More games, online is TONS better with marketplace (even though it does cost to play online) and the media experience is better than the PS3 right now with in-game soundtracks, video/audio codecs etc......

Either way you probably won't regret your purchase as each has strengths and weaknesses...... I'll leave the choice up to you based on your needs: PS3 for hardware, 360 for software

Except for the fact that a quality stand-alone Sony blu-ray player cost about$500 too. Prices for these players actually went up since Toshiba threw in the white towel.

Ouch. To hell with that, then. Prices are really inhibiting me from finalizing a good 7.1 home theater system to pair up with my HDTV. It really makes renting over xbox live more appealing, sans the titles I actually want to own in HD.

Ouch. To hell with that, then. Prices are really inhibiting me from finalizing a good 7.1 home theater system to pair up with my HDTV. It really makes renting over xbox live more appealing, sans the titles I actually want to own in HD.

I was just surfing around and checking on other forums about PS3 blu-ray vs Stand-alone blu-ray players. This is not conclusive yet, but here's what I got so far.

The PS3 will blow any cheap blu-ray player (supposingly). Cheap = $200 - $500 range. The actual comparision of quality is made to compare PS3 to $1000 plus range high end stand alone blu-ray player. Seriously, if they are really comparing to such expensive players, it really make this comparison meaning less. Its like comparing a honda to a Lexus.

The PS3 is an OUTSTANDING BluRay player, probably the best. What I said was that in upscaling standard DVDs it pales in comparison to my LG upscaler player that is over a $300 player and the Denon, Bravo and proabably Oppo upscalers as well. But your cheap $100 Magnavox, Samsung or whatever upscaler it probably does as well...... selective hearing/reading people......

They're upgrading the capabilities of the PS3's bluray player CONSTANTLY. I've seenf firmware updates for things like DVD players and such... but I've never seen them with the type of regularity and features Sony keeps dumping on the PS3's drive.

As for GTA... Rockstar has hinted that the 360 probably won't be able to handle GTA V due to a lack of space. So unless you want to buy another console in another year and a half...

i think im gonna go with the ps3. I have my pc for online games etc. which is why im not too concerned about not having xbox live. Plus the blueray really appeals to me.

GTA4 is one of the main reasons that Im buying a console...Yes i know it will prob be available for pc a few months down the road, but it just wouldnt be gta4 without playing it with the ol' sticks. And if, like you say, the 360 cant handle it too well then I guess that makes my decision even easier.

Trying my best to keep my favoritism aside, I'd really suggest the PS3 in your case. If movies are your thing, I think its clear.

As for decent games, IMO, the PS3 has more quality games, while 360 has more quantity. Example: Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo Prologue/5, Resistance, Folk Lore, Uncharted, etc... I mean there's a great, quality title for pretty much every category there is, whether it be RPG, Action, FPS, Racing, Sports, or almost anything else.

Is PS2 functionality important to you?

I own both the 360 and PS3, at this time I would suggest getting the PS3 as it not only plays games it doubles as a Bluray player and does a good job of it to boot :)

As for decent games, IMO, the PS3 has more quality games, while 360 has more quantity. Example: Warhawk, Heavenly Sword, Gran Turismo Prologue/5, Resistance, Folk Lore, Uncharted, etc... I mean there's a great, quality title for pretty much every category there is, whether it be RPG, Action, FPS, Racing, Sports, or almost anything else.

Is PS2 functionality important to you?

*cough* bull**** *cough *bull*****

Supposedly the 360 has a better framerate on GTA4 than the PS3 and less/shorter load times.... but as I said before, hardware wise, thanks to the constant upgrades and BluRay, PS3 wins.... software and online content wise, 360 whips it pretty handily

Yeah I'm going to agree with Fudge on this one. For example I have Mass Effect, Halo 3, Bioshock, and Forza Motorsport 2. All of them are (console)exclusive to the 360 and they are all excellent titles.

Last edited:
*cough* bull**** *cough *bull*****

Supposedly the 360 has a better framerate on GTA4 than the PS3 and less/shorter load times.... but as I said before, hardware wise, thanks to the constant upgrades and BluRay, PS3 wins.... software and online content wise, 360 whips it pretty handily

YOU'RE SO SUBTLE ITS AS IF UR REALLY COUGHING LULZ

What exactly am I saying that is BS?

As for GTAIV, we'll just have to wait and see which, if either, is the "better" version.

Yeah I'm going to agree with Fudge on this one. For example I have Mass Effect, Halo 3, Bioshock, and Forza Motorsport 2. All of them are (console)exclusive to the 360 and they are all excellent titles.

Well sure, but Bioshock and Mass Effect are only console exclusive, and we know he has a PC for gaming as well.

As for Halo 3, I personally disliked it, both on and offline (although I liked the campaign more than multiplayer), so I'm not going to go there.

Forza 2 may be excellent, but most real racing fans (see: not me) that I've talked to prefer Gran Turismo to Forza any day.

Forza 2 is awesome. I was always a big GT fan as well and Forza 2 has filled that void very nicely. Forza 2 has made me not care about GT5. On a completely unrelated note, .skate is also a friggin fun game... its multiplat too.

YOU'RE SO SUBTLE ITS AS IF UR REALLY COUGHING LULZ

What exactly am I saying that is BS?

As for GTAIV, we'll just have to wait and see which, if either, is the "better" version.

PS3 has more quality titles? That is what's a load.... The 360 has FAR and AWAY more games AND more quality games. That may change in the future but in the here and now like I said before... I think hardware wise the PS3 is better but software and online content wise it's no contest, the 360 obliterates it.

PS3 has more quality titles? That is what's a load.... The 360 has FAR and AWAY more games AND more quality games.

Lets see, as for exclusives... "Halo 3"...? Care to name some?

PS3 had, statistically, the best reviewed games for 2008. I saw a chart for all consoles a while ago, I'll see if I can pull it up.

Last edited:
Back