• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps3 or 360?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i guess theres just as much of a chance of a ps3 dying as a 360. But Ill prob get a warranty anyway.
What kind of connections / tv (reasonable) do I need to use the blue ray to its fullest potential?

forgot: post some pics if you got em!

i guess theres just as much of a chance of a ps3 dying as a 360. But Ill prob get a warranty anyway.
What kind of connections / tv (reasonable) do I need to use the blue ray to its fullest potential?

forgot: post some pics if you got em!

If the PS3 has anything less than a 1 yr warranty, buy an extended warranty.

A 360 already has a 3 yr RRoD warranty, so no need there.

I'd still get a PS3 unless you have friends with a 360. Both systems are a wash in pros/cons, sans the bluray player, which I am fiending for.

IMHO, a console should be purchased on its social factor due to advances in connectivity.

If your TV does not have HDMI or does not support 720p then immediately disregard everything said and this thread and get a 360.

Also, although the 360 does have a 3yr RROD warranty it is a pain in the *** to send it off to MS and wait a month to get it back, plus other things go wrong with them like dead DVD drives and dead GPUs(take it from me, I know firsthand because my 360 died 2x and I've NEVER got the RROD).

Also, although the 360 does have a 3yr RROD warranty it is a pain in the *** to send it off to MS and wait a month to get it back, plus other things go wrong with them like dead DVD drives and dead GPUs(take it from me, I know firsthand because my 360 died 2x and I've NEVER got the RROD).

When yours died did you try the over heat thing to fix it?

My gf's tv supports hdmi so ill be good to go. But Im planning on getting another tv after I graduate this may.

The warranty just makes sense no matter what system it is. I think Buy.com offers a two year for around $30.

Or better yet, wait until Kmart releases another coupon like they did earlier in the month. The 40gb with coupon code was $350. No tax, free shipping, 1 year warranty=$380.

Im going with the PS3 just for MLB 08 the show.

The warranty just makes sense no matter what system it is. I think Buy.com offers a two year for around $30.

Or better yet, wait until Kmart releases another coupon like they did earlier in the month. The 40gb with coupon code was $350. No tax, free shipping, 1 year warranty=$380.

Im going with the PS3 just for MLB 08 the show.

No.

Gamestop warranty or whatever the store is. It has to be a no hassle return, and I doubt buy.com does that.

Red, if you are buying a system mainly for GTA4, then I think these quotes (also in the GTA4 thread) will help you further.

From IGN:

While GTA IV is pushing the PS3 and 360 to the limit, it also runs amazingly well. Sure, there are framerate hitches here and there and (particularly on 360) there is some texture pop-in, but it actually runs better than I expected.

For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3. The textures and framerate are comparable, but the PS3 has far less pop-in. The 360 has richer colors, but the PS3 has better anti-aliasing making it look a little cleaner. Because GTA IV can preload onto the PS3 hard drive, the in-game loads are faster.

The slight visual edge goes to PS3, but the 360 is no slouch.

Extended warranty wise, you will probably be better off dealing with a local store than online store. You can just drop by, rather than ship back.

Lets see, as for exclusives... "Halo 3"...? Care to name some?

PS3 had, statistically, the best reviewed games for 2008. I saw a chart for all consoles a while ago, I'll see if I can pull it up.
I'd like to see that chart.
I can't think of any exclusive PS3 games that are out RIGHT NOW.

man ive checked a lot of places, but i cant find an 80gig. These ones arent discontinued are they??. And damn it alll!! Today I got an email from bestbuy that is giving a free 50 dollar gift cert if you buy a 360 from them. Coulda had a free game if I was buyin a 360:bang head

my advice on choosing a system:

1. go to gamespot
2. look at top-rated games for both systems
3. look at coming-soon games for both systems

....and just choose what games tickle your fancy more ;)

Gamestop is no longer selling replacement plans for the 360 and if you get a best buy referb good luck. My Brother was a temp for best buy that tested what company fixes the 360 the best and it wasn't pretty.

Back