• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU- Can you test it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

When I start my computer it fails to go into windows for 1 or 2 starts, it restarts itself on its own, and goes right into windows. It's the rig in my sig file.

I'm trying to isolate the issue/s- hardware, software etc.

Can you test the PSU somehow? If so, what would be the way to do it?

Ive already tested the RAM with Memtest86+, over 48 hr running, 14 passes, zero errors.

Thanks in advance.

For testing the PSU run Prime95 v28.10 blend with heaven gaming benchmark, so it will put a full load on the PSU. Have you tried reflashing the Bios?

I saw external testing thing and have forgotten what its called. Basically it shows maximum power draw and fluctuation in power. By software as he stated above me I dont see any other way

Those symptoms are really not PSU related...

Hey ED, nice to see you around. What do you think they are? Some person on here put me on the PSU path.. Honestly, I wouldn't know.

- - - Updated - - -

For testing the PSU run Prime95 v28.10 blend with heaven gaming benchmark, so it will put a full load on the PSU. Have you tried reflashing the Bios?

What does each do that the other doesnt? Why that specific version of Prime95?

New to Heaven Gaming, not Prime95, though it's been over a decade since I needed to use it.

Hey ED, nice to see you around. What do you think they are? Some person on here put me on the PSU path.. Honestly, I wouldn't know.

- - - Updated - - -

What does each do that the other doesnt? Why that specific version of Prime95?

New to Heaven Gaming, not Prime95, though it's been over a decade since I needed to use it.

I picked that version of prime95 because it uses the most power from the PSU with heaven at the same time. If you have a problem testing then it could be the PSU.

I ran Prime, in less than 30 seconds the computer crashed with a BSOD. Repeated everytime I tried.

Doesn't happen in safe mode, everything passes. However I was told in my other thread Prime in safe mode doesnt reveal anything meaningful in my case.

It seems it's either the mobo or PSU.

I would not think it would be the motherboard for Prime95 failure. I would look at the CPU or PSU. Try increasing the Vcore on the CPU then stress test.

CPU failure is so rare.
PSU first because it's cheaper and easier. Then board.

I was under the impression that it crashes any application that puts in under load, and he was just using prime to test.

failing prime95 with stock settings is rare also
Depends.
Just using as an example.
Most every FX processor fails Prime at stock settings. The VID is set too low.

I was under the impression that it crashes any application that puts in under load, and he was just using prime to test.

Depends.
Just using as an example.
Most every FX processor fails Prime at stock settings. The VID is set too low.

That is why I said "Try increasing the Vcore on the CPU then stress test." in post #8

Thanks, I wasn't sure how likely that was.

I may update the BIOS, and chipset drivers, and see what happens. I've contacted ASUS as well. So far, the support is slow going!

Back