• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU connector pin question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Desync

Currently sleeving my PSU and was wondering something.

My PCI-e connectors have 3 black wires and 3 yellow.

I know the yellow wires need to go back in the yellow holes they came from, same for the black.

But does it matter if say the middle yellow wire went over in the first yellow slot? Just incase I don't remove / sleeve / replace one at a time.

Also, my data cables. Does it matter if I remove 2 of the 3 connectors and just tape the bare spots up and only leave one connector on the end?

Ahh, yeah you can remove connectors from the cable and tape over the slices.
Be sure to use good quality electrical tape, not harbor freight junktape.

NEVER use tape on anything in a PC, they generate high static voltage charges that can damage parts in the PC.

NEVER use tape on anything in a PC, they generate high static voltage charges that can damage parts in the PC.

Guess I'm doomed. I got tape all over stuff. Give me a good reason to tell the wife I need to buy new parts.

I don't think the static voltage is that much of a problem here, and 3M makes special electrical tapes that keep the voltage below 50W when the tape is pulled from the roll:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...VtQEVs6EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=78812448492_A.pdf

The real reason to not use tape on wires is because it can come unraveled and allow the bare copper tip to short something. It's better to cover the tips with heat shrink tubing.

Cheap electrical tape has a tendency to undo itself, but putting a little scotch tape over the end stops it pretty well.

Yup, that's why you want the good stuff. It's a royal pain to remove later, but it doesn't come off by itself.

Back