• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for a low powered system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nil Einne

Registered
Looking for a PSU for a relatively low powered system since the old one is a bit crappy brand and want to replace it before it damages anything

This is in Malaysia so suggestions for NewEgg are pointless. I've nailed it down to 3 possibilities, all in very similar price range

Enermax FMA (Whisper in the US) 460W
AcBel Intelligent Power 450W
CoolerMaster Real Power 450W

I'm pretty sure the AcBel and CM are actually the same thing. In any case, I'm leaning towards the Enermax (I know one person feels AcBel and CM are better then EnerMax on the guide altho the XS guide has them all at tier 3). For starters it's probably single rail (the latest FMA is dual but I'm pretty sure this will be an older one) which although may not be necessary, it means less room for problems. Also, it's possibly a little higher spec on the 12V although it's difficult to compare them given the different way they spec their PSUs. Finally I just trust Enermax more the AcBel or CoolerMaster. This is based on the general feedback and experience and stuff I've read (Tom's stress test for example didn't put the AcBel or CM in good light although admitedly the FMA/Whisper wasn't tested and it was the 550W not 450W AcBel & CM)

The CoolerMaster does come with a power usage display thing but that seems more gimmicky then useful to me.

Any opinions?

How much power do you need?

You said low power system, and the gold standard there seems to be the Seasonic S12-330 (and they also make a 380W and 430W), but I have no idea what availability in Malyasia is like. Maybe you could give us some idea of what system you'll need to be powering. I'm afraid I don't know much or heard much of anything about the models you posted about.

My answer is the same here as it was at Xtreme - AcBel or Coolermaster ;)

Back