• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for dual 7970 CF and overclocked CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LegolasElf

Hello,

I am in need of a new power supply that will power crossfire 7970's and an overclocked CPU. Currently I have a Corsair 850TX which is potentially having an issue and is likely on its way dying. I am looking for a reliable power supply with more than enough power to help me replace this current one or at least rule it out it being the problem of my crossfire setup randomly crashing during gaming. Thank you for any advice guys.

Here is what I have my eye set on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139034

Honestly i would look into replacing it with a Corsair AX850, or maybe even the new AX860i.

The AX series has 7 years of warranty, and they are solid, quiet PSU's. I will be running CFX 7970 on an AX750.

I had a HX1050 in my main rig, and for a while, it was powering a 3960X + H100 + 3x HD7970 TriFire, so definitely it has more than ample juice for any dual single GPU CF setup. I have a friend with an AX850 powering 2x HD7970 CFX with an OC'ed 2600K, so Pierre's recommendation of the AX850 is spot on. BTW, I've since swapped out the PSU, the HX1050 powers my FX8120 @3.7ghz + 2x GTX670 SLi setup....yes, overkill but since it became a spare PSU, I figured I might as well put it to good use.

1KW is overkill... Id go 850W at most.

I ran a 3770K @ 4.9GHz and 2 7970's at 1200/1800 and hit 725W at the wall (90% efficient PSU = 660W actual use). So in reality, a quality 750W model is fine considering you are not going to be running close to the speeds I am 24/7. Id imagine use to be less than 600W actual for more modest overclocks all around.

To be completely honest, i would just reslly like to ideally have a spare PSU layin around even of my 850 is perfectly ok. I would like to shoot or a 1Kwatt+ so that I can have plenty of headroom if I ever solve my crossfire problems and decode to hrow more thsn 2 GPU's there.

To be completely honest, i would just reslly like to ideally have a spare PSU layin around even of my 850 is perfectly ok. I would like to shoot or a 1Kwatt+ so that I can have plenty of headroom if I ever solve my crossfire problems and decode to hrow more thsn 2 GPU's there.

AX1200 :thup:

Or Seasonic X-1250, I have one for my TriFire setup. As I had mentioned, even the HX1050 was powerful enough for three, but it did run hotter than usual. Hence the X-1250 to replace it. Really, either (AX1200 or X-1250) is fine.

The Rosewill Tachyon 1kw is a solid choice too. Especially seeing as there's one in the classifieds right now :chair:

Failing that, Seasonic has a 1kw platinum too.
I'm sort of addicted to Platinum. Gold is fine too in reality.

Do Corsair PSU's run hot in general? I've only owned one which is the one I have right now and it runs very hot with crossfire.

I dont remember my tx650 being hot, but that was with one 6950. My ax750, i only ser the fan spin on boot. As far as i know the ax are seasonic on the inside? Never the less great psu's. I love fully modular psu's. The ozc zx1000, could also be an option.

Shouldn't run hot. A PSU with exhaust that can be described as "hot" is a bad sign, IF the air going into the PSU is cool. If it's already at 45c going in (GPU exhaust, for instance), it's going to be right toasty coming out.

I can't really describe the air coming out of my PSU with CrossFire enabled as anything less than HOT. Sometimes it almost feels toasty. depending on room temperature. I RMA'ed my mobo today back to ASUS hopefully to rule it out as having any issues but I have a hunch that my 850TX is doing some funny things. I gotten BSOD BCcode 0x124 a few times with crossfire enabled whenever its blowing hot air and it's even done this at stock CPU settings. I know my OC is stable as I have tested it before I started doing CrossFire. I've got a crush on that modular AX1200i and it will fit my needs well in the future when I need extra power. I will definitely be switching over to it if ASUS finds nothing wrong with my mobo.

Last edited:
More GPU load can very easily change whether a CPU OC is stable or not.
Any change to the system can do so.

I can't really describe the air coming out of my PSU with CrossFire enabled as anything less than HOT. Sometimes it almost feels toasty. depending on room temperature. I RMA'ed my mobo today back to ASUS hopefully to rule it out as having any issues but I have a hunch that my 850TX is doing some funny things. I gotten BSOD BCcode 0x124 a few times with crossfire enabled whenever its blowing hot air and it's even done this at stock CPU settings. I know my OC is stable as I have tested it before I started doing CrossFire. I've got a crush on that modular AX1200i and it will fit my needs well in the future when I need extra power. I will definitely be switching over to it if ASUS finds nothing wrong with my mobo.

I dont like to say it, but sounds like the PSU could be at fault. But the crush on the AX1200i is not a bad move. The 7 year warranty alone is great. The almost never spinning fan, rocks, the i features, well i dont care for those, but being able to view the temps on the PSU will but your mind at rest. But it is a pricy beast, but a beast non the less! :thup:

BTW, i got a crush on the AX series full out. :D

$330 for a PSU on a system that a ~170-200 PSU can run with platinum efficiency and modular cables and such seems excessive to me.

$330 for a PSU on a system that a ~170-200 PSU can run with platinum efficiency and modular cables and such seems excessive to me.

Bob, I'm really looking to have a lot of headroom and a PSU that I can run for several years to come. I am interested in Tri-Fire and Quad-Fire and I foresee a future need for a PSU of that quality.

You won't be disappointed, but I seriously doubt you'll actually need it. If you don't mind that and have the money, then have at it.
I'd go with the non-i version personally. Same quality, lower price. The software isn't likely to actually help with anything, it's just bling.
If you really want some watts, there are always bigger (high quality) fish: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194106 / http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/07/enermax_maxrevo_1500w_power_supply_review/

(I'm reviewing one too, but it's not done yet)

I'd take the seasonic 1250w over the corsair unit, too.

The AX would still be a winner for me, im a sucker for Corsair (sig) and the all black cables matching my black inside of my case. If one goes for that, then there is no other choice.

But the Enermax looks very nice, but not loving the colors.

Back