• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Psu good enough for this setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turbobooster196

hello Guys i hope you can give some good info on my next quistion.

My nephew has a computer with the following specs

2 X xeon X5560
24gb samsung Ram
2x hdd 250gb
1x hdd 160gb
1x samsung evo 250gb
1 NZXT Hue+ RGB
seasonic 550w gold psu G-serie
and a msi gtx 960 4gb

he would like to put a msi r9 280x gaming in his system, will his psu be good enough?

That psu should handle things ok unless he starts to push heavy overclocks.

Why does he want to go from a 960 to 280x, he will only see minimal improvements by that upgrade. Unless he already has the 280x I would say the upgrade is probably not worth the money.

+1 unless it's that compact gtx960 and even then there is like no reason for an upgrade unless you pick it up like super cheap or free.

That psu should handle things ok unless he starts to push heavy overclocks.

Why does he want to go from a 960 to 280x, he will only see minimal improvements by that upgrade. Unless he already has the 280x I would say the upgrade is probably not worth the money.

He whants that card because the 960 only has a 128bit bus. thats the only reason the money is not the problem because he can change it with his 960.

overclocking is not possible on the cpu,s because the motherbord is not capable to do that

The quastion why i asked if the psu is good enough is because the say that the card can use 300w and the xeon 95w each

And the 280x is faster in almost every game it has at least a 10
fps more

Last edited:
That's a terrible reason to "upgrade", it will make like no difference in the end. That's like saying you want to upgrade to a new keyboard because you can press all 110 keys at once instead of 80. The benchmarks are so close on these 2 cards, that buss doesn't matter.

Also you CAN overclock a GPU on that board. The only thing limited is the CPU.

That's a terrible reason to "upgrade", it will make like no difference in the end. That's like saying you want to upgrade to a new keyboard because you can press all 110 keys at once instead of 80. The benchmarks are so close on these 2 cards, that buss doesn't matter.

Also you CAN overclock a GPU on that board. The only thing limited is the CPU.

I know i can overclock the Gpu, i told he can not overclock the CPU,S on that motherbord

I can understand why he wants to upgrade it is just not the route I would go but either way the psu should be ok.

Back