• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Recommendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mag10

I'm planning a new build, which will be watercooled.
Here's what I have so far:

1) ASRock Z77 Extreme6
2) Intel Core i5-3570K
3) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB F3-1600C9D-16GXM
4) PowerColor AX7950 3GBD5-2DHV4 Radeon HD 7950 Boost State 3GB
5) Fractal Design XL R2

Now there's a couple of things I have to confirm with the watercooling, such as radiator sizes(the fan mounts are up to 140mm) Id like to have a 420 rad on top(which would require modding) and a 280 in the front. Probably overkill but this is more of a showpiece and my primary gamer, but I will be doing much more than that on the rig such as 3D and photo editing. Another thing I desire highly is a fully modular PSU. I want to be able to mod the cables(considering heatshrinking each cable to a specific color then sleeving them) Cable management will be a must for this build as it needs to look as clean as possible without extra cables laying about.

Here's a couple of PSUs Ive considered so far for this build:
1) SeaSonic SS-520FL
2) SILVERSTONE ST55F-G
3) CORSAIR AX760

I was considering This but the thing that draws me away from it is the 24-pin and 8-pin which are hardwired. One final thing is I'm trying not to spend too too much on the PSU $150 is the max I'd like to spend if possible.

The AX760 is overkill assuming you will not be going Crossfire..Of those, I would go with the Seasonic. I have the X550 with 3570K and GTX680 and the fan doesnt even spin up. ;)

Mag said:
I was considering This but the thing that draws me away from it is the 24-pin and 8-pin which are hardwired. One final thing is I'm trying not to spend too too much on the PSU $150 is the max I'd like to spend if possible.

You need these for the PC to work ..... So why having them modular ????? They will end up less "clean" since you will have connector/sleaving starting at the PSU instaed of 2-3 simple hardwires coming out of the PSU. 2-3 wire that you need BTW. 24 pin + 8pin CPU + 6 PCIe + SataPower you will need at least one of each....

You need these for the PC to work ..... So why having them modular ????? They will end up less "clean" since you will have connector/sleaving starting at the PSU instaed of 2-3 simple hardwires coming out of the PSU. 2-3 wire that you need BTW. 24 pin + 8pin CPU + 6 PCIe + SataPower you will need at least one of each....

Im not making it into single braided sleeving, I actually don't like that look myself. Similar to this
IDK how to explain it correctly then, The picture in my head is not what you describe. I also plan on completely hiding the SSD and HDD. All i want to see is the main components, watercooling gear and the leads from the connectors to the motherboard into the "abyss" lol. Idk if that makes any more sense?

infact i found an image that is similar to how the case layout will be Here

One of my build, and this PSU have a TON of hardwired cable. You can see 2 useless PCIe going from the PSU to the front of the case and the connector are hiden/ti rapped behind the HDD cage.

DSCF2915.JPG

With just a little bit of work you can end up with a VERY clean build if you go with a normal ~25% hardwired PSU with other cabling modular.

This is 100% DOable with a ~25% hardwired PSU.

Well wouldnt it make it more difficult to re-sleeve the 24 and 8pin since i want to heatshrink each wire to color (unless theres a better way) then sleeve back together again?

If you want to 100% single sleeve the wires, yes it can be easyer with a 100% modular cause you wont have to open the PSU to sleeve the harwired wires.

All up to you and what you want to do and not to. Xseries from Seasonic are 100% mudular and not too pricey.

If you want to 100% single sleeve the wires, yes it can be easyer with a 100% modular cause you wont have to open the PSU to sleeve the harwired wires.

Yeah thats been my issue ive been trying to describe from the other thread :p im just making it so that instead of seeing the red black and yellow through the sleeving mesh u see only one color, creates an effect that i think will come out positive, I could always just replace the wires like such: Here

Oh trust me i know, that why im considering just replacing the cables and connectors themselves(besides that 20+4 thing is annoying!!!), ugh i hate tedious things like this but it will all be worth it! lol

One of my build, and this PSU have a TON of hardwired cable. You can see 2 useless PCIe going from the PSU to the front of the case and the connector are hiden/ti rapped behind the HDD cage.

DSCF2915.JPG

With just a little bit of work you can end up with a VERY clean build if you go with a normal ~25% hardwired PSU with other cabling modular.

Hey man!!! I like that heatsink!!! It is possible to use it with an AM3+???

Back