• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Still Safe To Use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clutchy08

Registered
Hello, I Have Hipper Type R II 880 Watt PSU and a few weeks ago i plugged the wrong Molex connector in to the wrong connector and when i pushed the power button on the PC flickered and Destroyed my CPU HDD & Motherboard, But i got New parts true RMA, now i was wondering if my PSU is ok to use on my New parts? will it destroy my hardware again? i tested the PSU and i am getting 4.4 out of 5.0

Okay.. and how did you test the power supply after the mistake, and 4.4 out of 5 what?

if it's 4.4v on a 5v output, that's definitely out of spec.

4.4v on a 5v output ye thats it ! so thats a bad Thing?

Yes. That's definitely a bad thing. What's the 12v rail give you? It sounds like the PSU may have taken some damage too.

The Type-M version of that PSU is decent, the type-R I don't know as Jonnyguru.com's mysql server seems to have gone south. From looking around it seems to be the same CWT platform.

I'm surprised that a Molex was able to go in backwards. What plug was it that got plugged into where?

It's possible to connect the molex backward. I know I did it to my DVDRW. It killed the drive, everything else survive though.
What did you connect backward to OP?

hey i Connected the Molex to Splitters for myGFX Cards and Boom would not work, the Cards were Fine but the rest went Bye Bye

You got and spliced the wires on molex? or used a 1 > 2 splitter?

A splitter shouldn't have problems with reversed polarity.. but it might draw too much power..

Splicing, on the other hand, can definitely cause reversed polarity.. I know.. I did it about 20 years ago when I was installing my first "second" hard drive.. had a male plug, but needed female, or the other way around..

i connected red to red, black to black, brown and yellow to their respective..

Forgot all about the fact that i was changing direction on the plug......

You got and spliced the wires on molex? or used a 1 > 2 splitter?

A splitter shouldn't have problems with reversed polarity.. but it might draw too much power..

Splicing, on the other hand, can definitely cause reversed polarity.. I know.. I did it about 20 years ago when I was installing my first "second" hard drive.. had a male plug, but needed female, or the other way around..

i connected red to red, black to black, brown and yellow to their respective..

Forgot all about the fact that i was changing direction on the plug......
i had Splitters and Molexes i can remember what way i had it because i need the splitters because i was doing SLI now i do not need it because i bought just 1 7950

Hey it was something like that, But it Powers on and starts all the Fans and Turns everything on well it did on my OLD pc but that was when it screwed everything up now i was wondering if i plug it all back together will it destroy my New PC? will it trow lots of Power in to it and kill it i do not no much about PSUs but it would save me about 100 + euro if it worked

i had Splitters and Molexes i can remember what way i had it because i need the splitters because i was doing SLI now i do not need it because i bought just 1 7950

Hey it was something like that, But it Powers on and starts all the Fans and Turns everything on well it did on my OLD pc but that was when it screwed everything up now i was wondering if i plug it all back together will it destroy my New PC? will it trow lots of Power in to it and kill it i do not no much about PSUs but it would save me about 100 + euro if it worked

If it's that far out of spec on a 5v output, there's no telling what it's like on a 3.3v or 12v. Or how well regulated (clean) the power is.

I understand that you don't want to spent un-necessary funds, but personally speaking, I wouldn't use it until I'd had it on a scope, and load tested it..

There's no telling what damage has been done to the board.

You could open the psu case and look for burn marks and try replacing burnt caps, just make sure you get the right TYPE and Ratings.

I wouldn't trust it. I know you don't want to spend the funds for a new power supply, but in this case you're better off being safe and spend the money on a new one.

Also see if you can RMA the power supply.

Hey Guys thanks for the Replys, i brought this PSU to a Shop, and it powered up and Older System? but tbh im a little Paranoid but i think i might just Wait to get a New one, its a Shame Really Because it was a great PSU

Which would be cheaper to replace.. the psu, or the cpu/ram/hard disk/anything else that gets damaged by bad power?

Yep you are Right, i wont use it Thanks alot for the Help ! :D i will just buy a New one

Back