• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Wiring Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anhikilator

Hey all,

I was cleaning my computer and adding some sleeved extensions just for the looks. I noticed that my power supply has the pci-e to vga cords in a Y-form. What I mean is, there's one wire connected to the PSU and it has all 14 wires (8+6) in the other end?

Does this affect the performance? Would it be better if two separate dedicated wires go from the psu to the VGA?

Thanks,

Ank :salute:

It's fine as long as the PSU manufacturer used proper wire gauge. To stay within spec, the gauge of the wires between the PSU casing and the first connector may be bigger than the wires between the first PCI-E connector and the second one.

So overall, no, usually not a problem.

Very common, I've yet to see it be an issue.
In extreme cases (read: LN2 GTX580), you'd definitely want 1:1 wiring from PSU to PCIe plug. But at that point you're talking a 500-700w load (from, mind you, a single GPU) on two PCIe power plugs plus the slot.

Don't worry about it.

This is seen most on big single rail PSUs. Part of the reasoning behind it is because you can only put 150W through an 8-pin and 75W through a 6-pin.

Back