• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulling my hair out trying to figure out which cpus....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
i can use to upgrade a friends pc... im really not liking amds cpu list part, why cant they just list the cpu by socket. i mean the specs says its a sempron 140, tells me its a AM3 cpu. do a search on google and AM3 cpu list, dont get anything off amd's site. then trying to wade through the posts on toms about cpus, no one lists which ones will work.

if you want links
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...ries/4269980/model/4337143/document/c02550047
https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...ries/4269980/model/4337143/document/c01701270

Ok so the issue is i have used the chipset name to find a supported cpu list but nothing. i havent emailed HP since i dont have the sn number, they are telling me on the phone they want the sn before i can get a cpu list for the computer. :banghead:
anyway, i need help in finding AM2+ or AM3 dual core cpus that will work in the motherboard/computer. i keep hitting walls, post after post with dead links in toms to 3 and 4 core cpus from others asking for help. a full list of cpus would be nice so i can pick one and look up prices, see if that fits the budget.

thanks for anyone that can help me out, cause after 3hrs off/on im out of steam on this.

ok, so im not sure how i found this site, cpuworld
i think i found two cpus that look good for this HP, anyone help me out and say if they will work?
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X2 210e AD210EHDK22GI (AD210EHDGIBOX).html
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X2 220 - ADX220OCK22GM.html

if it works and i found one on the bay, the 210e looks perfect. i have found more 220's though then the 210e for sale in the US on the bay though, prices for both in the us are about the same. i would just prefer the lower TDP cpu though.

I would go for the lower TDP CPU as well. These sort of brand computers tend to have components that do not leave a lot of room for upgrades, so any extra stress on the PSU or the motherboard VRM is a risk. It's also tough to say what the BIOS will think of the new CPU, so even though the 210e looks like a suitable choice on paper, it's not guaranteed to work.

yea thats kinda the problem i have with the fact they cant list amd cpu models the computer supports. that the list is that large of range from the list and says 95watt cpu..

What is the model number of the computer? If you google: "What is the fastest CPU I can upgrade to on an HP _ _ _ _ _ _ ?" you will often find some good answers from online forum communities. It also a good idea to flash the bios to the newest version to make sure the bios contains microcode for the newest CPUs said to be compatible towards the end of the machine's production period.

right i did alot of google variations to find the answer, all posts about the system. people kept posting quad core cpus as replacements for those pc's, im just looking for a cheap dual core for a bit of a boost. i have a first gen i3 mobile cpu with a mechanical drive now that is something i can deal with as far as using. his on the other hand with a single core, takes for ever to do what i consider simple things. ie load IE or FF/opera and look at something on the HD. his system is so slow, it drives me up the wall.

as far as i have been digging, HP on their site does not offer download-able bios's for that board. either im doing something wrong but i can find any bios's any where on the webz using the Asus model on the board either. guess next chance i get, i need to get into the bios to see the date on the bios to figure out what possible cpu is supported.

Any 95w or less AM2+/AM3 processor will run in that board.
You just need a newer bios if you don't want to look at 'unidentified CPU' in CPUz.

You want a Phenom II 550-570 X2 for that board, if you're just looking for a dual core. ;)

Last edited:
as long as it works with no problems, he wont care. LOL i wonder then if i should jump on that 210E then, $13 bucks aint bad but i worry it might be a working cpu. i mean sometimes sellers say it works when it doesnt and then blame the computer component failure on the user. now only if i could still have gotten that steal of a deal a while back on that 512gb ssd for a nice little boost. wonder how much faster/better a newer mechincal drive would be vs the one in there from 2008. i was thinking picking up a Toshiba P300 1tb drive, $49.99 at frys down the road from and image from drive to drive.

*edit*
also noticing in cpuworld there are some cpus listed as C2 and C3 for the same model. what if any difference is there between the two revisions for the same model? would that effect the cpu working in the amd motherboard? Since im not a amd guy/user i have to ask more "in the know" people here.

as right now i have found one listing for a the Amd Athlon II x2 210e, but found a lot more listings for the faster X2 240e for a few dollars and some cases the same price as the single 210e. about to hit the BIN at ebay for the 240e but i want to make sure about the amd PN's and if the revision is going to matter C2 vs C3 on the 240e cpu.

Last edited:
C2 is the early revision. Usually uses more power and runs hotter. C3 is what you'd prefer.

so i may have confused my self agian, but to cover things that figured was covered by the links i gave. the chipset labeled from HP specs is the NV 6150SE NF430 and another section says this about cpu support
Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard.
AMD Phenom II Quad-Core
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core
AMD Phenom Quad-Core (A) 9xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Phenom Triple-Core (T) 8xxx series (AM2+)
AMD Athlon X4
AMD Athlon X3
AMD Athlon X2 (B) (AM2+)
but yet the computer comes with a AM3 cpu so why only suggest AM2+ cpus. now im stuck with the cpus im looking at while listing both AM2+ and AM3 socket support, the current dual core the Athlon II X2 240e. now for what ever reason i thought i would at least check out some quad cores, found my self wondering about the AMD Athlon II X4 610e. as far as HP lists it say Athlon support but not listing Athlon II support, am i missing something? i mean about any differences between the two Athlons models and weither they would work on the NV6150 NF430 board.

AM3 CPUs were backwards compatible with AM2+ boards as the AM3 CPUs had IMCs that could work with either DDR3 or DDR2. AM3 boards would not run AM2+ CPUs, however as AM2+ CPUs had IMCs that came before DDR3 RAM. So if the board uses DDR3 then look only at AM3 CPUs. If it has DDR2 RAM then it should work with AM3 CPUs within the TDP envelope of the board

yea i recall reading about some of that stuff but i wasnt able to figure out from looking at chipset specs if the newer AM3 cpus would work with it. i was assuming from what i could find it was more a chipset limitation even if the amd said AM3 will work in AM2+ boards. i think then if that really is the case im going to snag the x4 610e then for not much more. next is watching out for deals agian on 512gb ssd's for a nice boost.

thanks guys

so just an update, i bit the bullet on Saturday and got a X4 610e instead of the X2 off ebay $35 shipped. dunno why im doubting the cpu will work even though specs say it will work in the board and has ddr2 memory controller.

Here dude. The official support list.

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
Socket type: AM3
TDP: 95 watt

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)
AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)
AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)
AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)
AMD II Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)
AMD II Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)
AMD Sempron 1xx (Sargas)

The non hp board (minus the la) supports up 140w processors.

You should look for a Phenom 95 watter imho. I have a Phenom x3 860 that the board may or may not support. So stick to the list above.

thanks shrimp, i just went with the 610e since it was a 45watt quad core vs 45watt single core. really only use it for some web card games, email and few office apps. just going to a quad core should make things alot smoother for them.

It should be a tad better. But with an x2 phenom you'd have the l3 cache which would be a more noticeable performance boost.

Either way we look forward to results-!

Get an SSD for your bud's computer. Biggest performance boost per dollar there is.

i know, i just saw on newegg 250gb for $89 and 500gb for $149. im debating on that right now, tracking says the cpu will be here on friday. might just drive down to fry's tomorrow and get two 500gb's and have them price match with newegg.com

Back