• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulling my hair out trying to figure out which cpus....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
so not much to really say other then going from a single core to the quad. i noticed windows loads a bit faster and multi tasking is more tolerable, but im also use to a ssd so its not at that level yet. yes since the 500gb 850evo is back in stock at newegg for $139, i got one on order.

fill me in on this, it reports the ram as "unganged" what is that suppose to mean, single channel? i still cant get over it does in fact have a 1gb and 2gb stick in it from HP, im like WTH.

Gang mode has nothing to do with single/dual channel. It's the way the memory controllers run. Either as one 128bit bus (ganged) or 2x64bit (unganged) in most instances unganged is preferred.

ok so evertime i got an email from newegg they had the 850 evo 500gb back in stock they were sold out so fast. i wound up getting him a intel 545 512gb drive, read a review on the new drive from intel, rather impressive. now given how old the system is and im not sure if the sata controller is one of the ones in the past i remember reading about. as in they had some slight issues with handling/using ssd's... i got in a hurry and forgot to upload the screenshots i took of before and after bw numbers from drive to drive. :bang head
needless to say the 320gb drive that was in there on its best did 70mb/s read for sustained and 60ish on writes, 4k read/write was like .5mb/s really low. now please keep in mind this wasnt a reinstall of the os since that was not an option, there was no windows 7 disc provided with the pc just some kind of restore point as if my friend just bought it. he wanted to keep his pc/os setup the way it was and not reinstall anything. went to intels site and downloaded the drive imaging software they offer and cloned from drive to drive. the intel drive on this old hw did 240is read and write sustained, then did 25 or 30ish 4k read and write. the one thing that impressed my friend was how fast the pc would restart as if they got a update from ms and needed to restart. when windows shut down, he asked if he needed to turn it back on, just after that sentence windows was loading. he was like OMG WHAT JUST HAPPENED... lol ,so yea a ssd and a quad core were the two things he really needed to have a more usable pc.

thanks for the help guys with amd hw im not that familiar with. :comp:

Gang mode has nothing to do with single/dual channel. It's the way the memory controllers run. Either as one 128bit bus (ganged) or 2x64bit (unganged) in most instances unganged is preferred.

Did you copy paste that? lol.

Ganged is Dual Channel mode. Most OC boards offered the option to turn this on or off. If the option is not in the bios, the memory is in the wrong slots.

You'll see Cpu-z report dual channel while set to ganged mode and Single channel in un-ganged mode.

I must edit.... ganged and unganged could be the other way around. It's been a minute.

well the board only has 2 slots the other 2 are missing the actual dimm holders. either case i got a 2x2gig kit in the classies, computer wouldnt booth with either stick as a single. 3gig on windows 7 for my friends is more then enough i guess. might be another few years now before an upgrade since its got more life in it.

Shrimp if your board has the option for gang mode you can switch to either ganged or unganged and keep dual channel. It's the controller

Back