• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulling my servers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bioevolve

Sad day, I have to stop using my servers now. :rain: Electricity bill came and the wifey is NOT pleased. Up $170 from last month, might have to pull some more computers also. :cry:
Guess I'll have to create some electricity to all these servers/computers, any ideas? TIA!

Dam. I know the feeling. I had to pull my servers offline too because of the same exact thing. I'm not married, but when I saw how much the utility bill rose I freaked. Living on a fixed budget doesn't help either, so I had no choice but to quit all together :(

I haven't run seti in years after that. My servers are collecting dust now.

bills is the reason i dont fold/seti
my dad would KILL me if i rose the bill alot
you could get solar panels they pay for their self sooner or later

hey i have a river behind my house too!
maybe we can do a project log together!

One of the primary axioms of alternative energy is "it is usually cheaper to reduce consumption than it is to increase production". Consider replacing older servers with Xeon E3-1220L or E3-1260L (20 & 45 watts, respectively)- based units. On the GPU front, the Quadro 2000 series is coming in with 240 DP Gflops @ 62 watts.

All that said, take a look at hydro microturbines. Grid-tied solar is also a relatively inexpensive route, with starter systems including racks available for as little as $1325.00

I notice you are in Florida. If you have FPL you might look at the deal where you pay an average cost per month thing. Start it up now and you might get some lower payments because you average is lower pre-seti.

I notice you are in Florida. If you have FPL you might look at the deal where you pay an average cost per month thing. Start it up now and you might get some lower payments because you average is lower pre-seti.

Florida is expensive for electricity as most of it comes from fossil fuels.

When I was heavy into folding, my bill jumped at least $30 per month in electricity and this was during winter. It jumped $50 one time during the summer because of the AC working overtime because of the heat.

FPL and Progress energy are planning on raising their rates... again.

Sorry to see your sell off, but you can be sure you are not alone in being pushed this way, by the rising electric costs. All too common, unfortunately.

Sorry to see you had to drop SETI. I'm very thankful for very cheap electricity in Texas (currently paying 8.2/KWH) so I can continue powering the search for ET.

I haven't completely dropped it lol, still got 2 systems still running it.
I only dropped 4 desktops, 2 laptops and 6 servers to save some on the electricity bill.

Back