• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pulling the plug

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Hey guyz, sry to say I have to pull the plug...again. :-/ Not sure what the hell is going on, but this particular apartment is sucking unheard amounts of power and i cannot keep up with the electric bills.

First month I moved in my bill was 45 bux, no problem. Next month it doubled up to 100 and nothing has changed. Now I got the new bill and I almost had a coronary. Dam $238 ?!?!?! :mad::mad:

I'm in the process of moving out of this dam hellhole, so in the mean time i'm shutting down my rigs. Hopefully I'll get this crap sorted out. Once I get into my new place ( hopefully very soon) and fire em back up.

I remember living in a place that my usage of electricity did not match up with the bills. Landlord had to pay some ppl to test the place to see what the heck was eating all that juice. It was quite expensive and I'm sure the landlord here will not pay for that. I worked for him for a very short period of time and let me just say he's one cheapass fvck :rolleyes:

Hope to return with good news.

-Neb-

Do you have old electric base board heaters? If so, and it is cold, even though the thermostat may be off, older units will still auto kick on when it gets cold, say 40-50 degrees? I lived in an apartment like that a few years ago.

If not that, perhaps it could be the power company running averages for the bill. The previously mentioned appt I lived in had wacky bills. Instead of other places I had lived in that had near the same amount every month, the one appt had low bills in the summer time, say a quarter of a 'normal' bill, and four times a 'normal' bill in the winter time. For the life of me, I cannot remember what the power company here (Pacific Power) called that... If I happen to think of it, I will post it in here.

Maybe it just had to do with the power company averaging a years worth of energy use... It's been a bad week, and I just do not remember. Blah.

Unplug everything in the apartment (turning off is not good enough, many devices have a draw even when shut off). Then go look at the elec. meter. It should be absolutely stationary. If not, then you have identified a problem.

if it's an old building, something or someone may be leeching off your line. Also, if the box or meter is old, it may be inefficient and causing higher bills. I just replaced my box with a 200AMP box and my bill was cut in about half.

Unplug everything in the apartment (turning off is not good enough, many devices have a draw even when shut off). Then go look at the elec. meter. It should be absolutely stationary. If not, then you have identified a problem.

Turn off the Breakers if this does not work and re-check.

Back