• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump not working

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
are you sure u cant see the pics?

Click Go Advanced after hitting Edit on your post and use the paperclip to upload the images directly to the forum.

That's the best way to make sure everyone sees them.

But no, I can't see the pics, there's just a bunch of boxes with an X

I wouldnt mount the mcp35x like that. I had 2 ddc's that lasted for 7 years and still working (though quit using them for D5's), but I had airflow under them. You wont feel the pump get hot, it is the internals that get hot and can reduce the life of them. See Martins testing here. There are threads from years ago where people were having issues with ddcs dying (like mcp35x) and most were using low restriction high flow tops/loops (pump internals run hot) plus mounting them where no air flow gets under them, like yours is mounted. The ones with heatsinks or airflow tend to last like the D5's.

Dont buy the koolance 500 pumps, they are 50 decibles, ie too loud.

Either get a D5 (koolance 450 or other brand) or get a mcp35x and have airflow under it or buy a heatsink with it. The D5 you dont need to worry about airflow, runs cooler.

I wouldnt mount the mcp35x like that.

No idea where the pump is in the pics nor do I exactly know which pump the OP has since I've asked twice and got no responses or I am just a blind bat. Maybe you could shed some light.

No idea where the pump is in the pics nor do I exactly know which pump the OP has since I've asked twice and got no responses or I am just a blind bat. Maybe you could shed some light.

go back up a few notches... its an MCP35X

and look at the rad!!! And they say that i am crazy for advising people to consider a MO-RA :)

I wonder what the restriction is... I'ld consider going double D5 or double DDC on this one

I had a MCP35X

Did you take apart the pump to see what went on? Looking from the pics, I wouldn't be surprised if there was build up and plasticize all over the place by the look of the tubing. In general, these pumps can last and should last a long time. Either the pump PCB was heated up to much or lack of maintenance which can cause it to deteriorate over time.

Last pic in his post #18 is pic of mcp35x pump, unless it isnt showing for you.

Ah ok. Yeah, for some reason the last pic wouldn't post earlier. Now I can see it.

Part of your problem is that because you did not use a reservoir. You need to put the reservoir before the pump. As soon the pump is power on, it needs to have water, gravity feed is best. The pump can be mount vertical or horizontal, don't really matter. What matter is the reservoir must be before the pump.

Anyways,

yes take the DDC pump apart... see what's wrong (there are guides)

otherwise i'ld get a nice Double D5 or Double DDC in series res/pump combo like this http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/twin-d5-dual-bay-reservoirpump-combo and just put (mount) it on top of that radiator (like where that blue thingie is) :)

Can you tell us more about that rad? Its obviously something which was repurposed, but what was it in its previous life :)

Need to find the diameter of those tubes and the pattern.. i expect at least half of them to be in a parallel setup, but one never knows :)
It's to find out how much restriction it actually has... if its not too bad then you can get away with one D5 or DDC like this one http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=38853 or the new Swiftech MCP50x

Of course, there is the bucket & chronometer test to find out the restriction, but its a bit messy :)

Both of those rads are series style rads. That is a lot of restriction. I would suggest either 2 pumps in series, or something like an Iwaki RLT pump.

Those pumps will work just fine. You can set the loop up however it best suits you, since you will have a res. BTW those rads are series rads that are paralleled together, but they are still not parallel rads.

Series rad
In_______________________________
________________________________)
(________________________________
________________________________)
(________________________________Out

Parallel rad
In v--------------------------^ Out
ll_____________________ll