• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump question...help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metaxas

If I go buy a pump out of the store, like in the pet section, will it have 3/8th inch fittings on it? Is that a standard thing? The reason i'm asking, is because caseetc has not sent me jack, will not return my calls, will not return my e-mails, ..i'll take care of him tommorrow, i'm calling my credit card company and dispute the charges. He can take my money, just fine, and then bail out or something...this makes me madder then hell.

LimeyGreg is right. There isn't one standard for pumps. I had to use a reducer to get mine down to 3/8ths. I think, though, that some of the OC shops might preselect pumps with 3/8th fittings.

I am using a Little Giant submerged fountain pump rated at 80GPH with a 7' head. It has 3/8" ID fittings on it. Picked it up for about $35.00 at the 'depot. It's in the big grey box below.

1/2" inch is most common. I can't wait to read about our hero's adventures in the plumbing department! I know you did not want to go there, but a good part of the experience is the journey. It's fun to roll your own.:)

I LOVE the plumbing department at the Depot. In fact, I need to go there tomorrow. I need to get a 90 degree elbow for my waterblock. The Socket370 board doesn't like the straight barbs, although the Slot1 board with the slotket works just fine. Here is the block I designed and had milled. The cap gets soldered on and I use screw-in fittings for the hose barbs

I heard that Ak...I wouldn't mind one of those myself...that thing looks dope.. :)

You can't afford it. I had 5 prototypes made. I'm into them for about $500 at cost. That's $100 each. Unless Joe says that this thing is DA BOMB, it's not going to see production in it's current form. Of course...if you do want one, I have 3 that I'm not using...I accept cash, money orders, and gold.

Awwww... oh well, they still look dope...do they perform real well?

Not bad amigo...not bad at all, listen, I would have to wait until next month, e-mail me what you want for one, and I would like to ask you some other questions about it...but did I read that wrong, or your running 2.55 VCore...wooo smokin... ;D

[email protected]

Heeeeee...ok... ;D I hope either my pump comes tommorrw (which I am beginning to doubt) or go find one from the store...Wal-Mart may have them, think i'll look into that... :)

I would try Lowes or Home Depot in the garden center, or go to a place that sells aquarium circulation pumps. I would recommend that you get a pump for a fountain or waterfall. They are in the "water gardening" area of the Depot. get a pump that has reasonable flow at 4' head. If you need an inline pump, I wouldn't know where to send you. I think that there are a couple of good links on the main page about good pumps. I'm using an 80GPH Little Giant fountan pump, which some will tell you is a little low for flow rate. I make up for it by having a huge reservoir. I made it out of an underground junction box and some barb fittings. I used the 6x6x4 box because it holds about 3/4 gallon of coolant. It's still a tight fit in my tower case. I am working on a web page that will show the "how-to" for how I built my system, but it probably won't be up for another week. Anyway, as you see, I "rolled my own" but it cost me a little more than going off-the-shelf.

Where I live, we have a Lowes. What kinda flow rate would you suggest, maybe 100GPH? And also, what about those round clamp things that can go around the house, and you can tighten it up with a screw, and it keeps the hose on there for sure...where do I obtain some of those. Dumb questions I know, however, I don't work much with that kinda stuff. :) You say, a pond pump, or waterfall pump...ok, will the box say how far it can lift also? I plan on running my reservoir outside of my case (not interested in portability) so its going to be a gallon container of somekind. Thanks for the help bro...heehee... ;D I'll get this box up if it kills me...and you know what's bad...if these problems had not come up with caseetc...my new system most likely would have been running 3 days ago. DOH. But that's okay....lowes it is. :)

OK, here's the parts list for a DIY reservoir.

Garden Dept: Fountain pump-80GPH minimum. $35.00

Electrical Dept: Underground junction box. They carry 4x4x4, 6x6x4, 6x6x6, 6x12x4. Pick one. I use a 6x6x4". They have a gasket around the rim and screws on each corner. Also pick up a package of 1/4" grommets.

Plumbing dept: 3/8" ID clear vinyl tubing 6'-8' or so (it's cheap). 3/8" to 1/4" MIP brass hose barbs (look for a display of brass fittings). You'll need one each for the inlet and outlet and will have to drill the box and screw them through the plastic and seal them with silicone sealant (in the paint dept). See the How-To article on the watercooling section of the main page. Hose clamps (i think they are 5/8" max, but fit them to the hose to be sure) you'll need one for each connection. I have 9 in my system...pick up a dozen, they're cheap.

Before you drill the junction box for the fittings and pump, try several different positions and routing on the pump and hoses. some people like to have the hoses come into the top of the box, mine are coming out the side...diff'rent strokes. Also, figure out if you want to cut the cord on the pump or not. I didn't, and instead cut a notch in the top of the rim on the reservoir, cut a grommet to fit the cord, and silicone sealed it to the box so it's watertight, but I can take it out if it fails and get a warranty exchange if necessary.

I learned everything I know from the watercooling articles on the front page. I read EVERY article there, so I had a pretty good idea what i wanted to do. Joe, Ed, Surlyjoe, and the rest have already blazed the trail,,,i just followed the path.

E-mail me if you have trouble. The address is on my profile.

Metaxas (Mar 20, 2001 01:54 a.m.):
Where I live, we have a Lowes. What kinda flow rate would you suggest, maybe 100GPH? And also, what about those round clamp things that can go around the house, and you can tighten it up with a screw, and it keeps the hose on there for sure...where do I obtain some of those. Dumb questions I know, however, I don't work much with that kinda stuff. :) You say, a pond pump, or waterfall pump...ok, will the box say how far it can lift also? I plan on running my reservoir outside of my case (not interested in portability) so its going to be a gallon container of somekind. Thanks for the help bro...heehee... ;D I'll get this box up if it kills me...and you know what's bad...if these problems had not come up with caseetc...my new system most likely would have been running 3 days ago. DOH. But that's okay....lowes it is. :)

## Hey if you've got a Petworld, or Pet warehouse that is where I picked mine up it's a MaxiJet 115 GPH at 5' Lift, got it for 25$ So check it out you can get some good deals I have also seen the heavy duty MagDrive pumps at the pet store too. Look for what they call a powerhead, they will tell you whether they are submersible or Inline, so check em out and you should be able to find a bargain. Stop in there and see what you can find. You might be suprised! =) ##
J - Hope that helps =)

Jeff Evans (Mar 20, 2001 02:31 a.m.):
Hey Newbie-

Is that machined from 1" think stock?

Yes. 2"x2"x1" thick. The base, sidewalls, and cap are 1/8" thick except where the fittings are (1/4" instead). The inside cavity measures 1.75"x1.75"x.75" deep. The pins are full height and are milled in reverse (material removed around the pins) from the base stock. The cap fits in a groove around the top edge and is a sweat fit. The pins have full contact with the cap, and are part of the base, so heat transfer is pretty good. With my radiator inlet uncovered, I run about 2C over ambient according to MBM. With the front fascia in place, it's about 5C difference, I have my c2-600 backed down to 900 MHZ for 24 hour stability so i can fold 24/7/365 without worry.

Back