• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump Trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jtlee22

Ok. I just built my loop and I had it leak testing after removing all the bubbles by rocking the case back and forth gently to remove all the bubbles. It was working just fine but then the pump stopped and I can't seem to get it to start back. I never let it run dry, so I don't know what happened. I am using an Alphacool DDC and the only time I can think there was that much air in the pump was when a few larger bubbles went through, but that is it.

make sure you double check the pwm and power cables. they may have been jogged loose.

i jinxed myself when i answered this thread. my alphacool ddc died the day after i repled.

I feel you, man. I am working on trying to get an RMA.

By any chance, is it the Alphacool DDC310?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know of any DDC pumps that will fit on the Alphacool LightTower 250mm with the DDC top?

Do you know of any DDC pumps that will fit on the Alphacool LightTower 250mm with the DDC top?

Unsure. I've always been a D5 user. I suspect any DDC pump with the same bolt pattern will fit. Have you decided on another pump/res if the DDC doesn't work out?

Do alphacool D5's fail as much? I can always sell a little bit of crypto currency to buy another top/pump.

I've read a few of the Alphacool D5's are defective with impeller grinding. If you're going with a D5, I would look into another brand. The Lowara D5 is top notch. I've had it for a few years and it's be solid.

They make great rads in my book, that's about it. I would steer away from their pumps like the plague. Most of the pump issues I've been hearing on these forums have been from them. Whether its their D5 issues to now this DDC pump on two folks in a matter of days and barely used.

If you're looking for a premium D5 or DDC pump, look no further from EK, Swiftech and Aquacomputer.

im looking at a koolance PMP-450/S and one of these http://koolance.com/pump-or-fan-speed-controller-ctr-spd1224m
so i can maybe finally get all of the friggin microbubbles out of my main loop. 24v for the win! ive got a xspc vario connected to my res that ill keep in the loop with it and a ek d5 pwm ill move to the back up rig. no more ddcs for me. it really bums me out that the alphacool ddc wasnt a solid pump. i really thought the idea of having a built in heatsink would keep it going for years. ill be pulling it out tonight. the first thing ill do is check the pcb out. i wonder if it didnt short out into the aluminum housing some how? particularly where the wires come out of the housing. externally it looks brand new.

im looking at a koolance PMP-450/S and one of these http://koolance.com/pump-or-fan-speed-controller-ctr-spd1224m
so i can maybe finally get all of the friggin microbubbles out of my main loop. 24v for the win! ive got a xspc vario connected to my res that ill keep in the loop with it and a ek d5 pwm ill move to the back up rig. no more ddcs for me. it really bums me out that the alphacool ddc wasnt a solid pump. i really thought the idea of having a built in heatsink would keep it going for years. ill be pulling it out tonight. the first thing ill do is check the pcb out. i wonder if it didnt short out into the aluminum housing some how? particularly where the wires come out of the housing. externally it looks brand new.

Check it out and see. Maybe a strand of wire shorted and killed the pump. I've never had a DDC. I was gonna purchase one from PMSfishy, but didn't have the funds. Was gonna have it as a back-up. Gonna snag another D5 to be prepared. Makes things easier incase of an emergency like a pump failure. All I gotta do is swap pumps and be back in business in no time.

it fried theres a big ol burn mark on the pcb. it isnt near the cables which is where i thought it would have been. its top left. i cant get my pos camera to take a decent picture. the traces are burnt completely through.
DSCI0206.jpg

Attachments

• DSCI0191.jpg
    DSCI0191.jpg
    443.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Holy smokes, yeah it's a goner. I would see if you could RMA that pump and just have the replacement as a backup for the time being.

I also forgot to add to my last post, the Swiftech MCP35x DDC pumps are amazing. Have two running in serial for a number of years.

The 50x's are just as good. ;)

Typical DDC overheat failure in that pic. They run a little hot. You can get a heatsink for them but if you just put it in direct air flow that is fine also.
Long time DDC user here. I prefer the smaller footprint than that of the D5's.

The Koolance 450 you're looking at is a decent pump too. Had one running for many years now. Just doesn't have the same grunt for the high restriction systems that the DDC's do.

@ Jack the pump has been returned to amazon. prime ftw! as soon as they saw that it had been shipped back they authorized the refund, painless, gotta love it. altho i didnt get an option to replace?
@Mr.Scott thats the thing, it comes with an aluminum heatsink (alphacool ddc310) and it was literally millimeters from the front 120mm fan. thats what kills me with it failing. it shouldnt have lol! ive been using ddcs as well for years exclusively until the last year or so. ive had 4 of 6 pumps outright die over the years. one still works as advertised but i dont trust it being that its from the same lot as two that have perished(old red impellar). and 1 starts when it wants to (ddc 3.2) which is the newest of all but the ddc310. i thought that maybe my tops were causing the deaths but ive used three or four different tops with them. i actually stopped using a petras top and bitspower tanktop because i thought they might be killing them. ive just got really bad luck with them.
ive been going through everything pump related i can think of for the last few days and just realized that the Lowara pump that Neb suggested(and i just happen to have in the EK version and didnt realize it) is rated for 8-24v. in fact every lowara ive seen has the same label. they are hard to find in the lowara flavor. so from that im assuming the pmp450s is the same pump with a koolance label slapped on. not that its any cheaper either way but its nice to know if i get the koolance voltage controller i can run them both at the same voltage. which will help immensely in bleeding my main rigs loop. its a major pain trying to get the air out of my gpu blocks. no matter how i shake and move the case i cant get it all out.

Back