• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push/Pull or Push or Pull and thicker rad? Which and why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the thick rad, whats the fin/inch? if density is high say 11+, then you need run 1500rpm+ to push air through it. if FPI is low, then its fine as long air get through. or get 45mm push/pull. you not gonna see huge difference between push or pull. I do pull simply you can clean dust easier on rad, rather than dust sandwitch between rad and fan. dust #1 killer of cooling.

my experience is use a good 45mm rad with push and pull has the best balance, 60mm is better but its too thick :D. for low rpm thick rad, SR2 is good. I would do pull not because the performance but easier to clean dust off from rad. I don't see much performance difference when using same rad/fan in pull or push config, push might get you 1 degree but its within error range.

also as long you can get air across entire thickness of rad at reasonable CFM, the thick rad will win over the thin one by few degree. This often mean higher RPM fan for thick rad use push. I have some issue with 60mm rad when pull my hand just don't feel air been suck into rad at a good speed.

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that depending on the fans you use, sometimes pulling air through a rad will end up being louder that push.QUOTE]

eloop does that, its annoying noise when pulling.

Last edited:
I prefer push for aesthetic purposes, and from the multiple tests i've watched/read push seems to be slightly more effective than pull in a lot of situations. Push/pull is ideal, but takes up a lot of space, and requires 2x fans. I'd rather put that money towards more radspace/nicer fans. I'm not a fan of pull simply because that means the ugly backside side of the fan is showing. Looks matter!

I had to use pull on my last rig (pulling unfiltered air through the rad) and it seemed to work OK except for the clogging and gunk cleaning. My current is push for aesthetics and filtered air benefit, but more air flow=better cooling on any given rad size. If money wasn't the issue, though, I'd go for a bigger rad. My $.02.

Back