• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Push to connect fittings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the stainless ones will not only be expensive but also will introduce mixed metals into your loop.

the temp range is waay better though.

sharkbite can handle the temps and there are a few other clones of the sharkbite.

those plastic ones are often found in newer water softeners.

Anything that can be hooked up to a domestic hot water supply should be fine temperature wise but you dont want to mix metals too much in a loop.

I thought stainless was safe to mix with copper and nickel? It's Aluminininium that's the unsafe metal?

I do like the idea of those fitting, the only application I've used them in was for air pressure lines in my class 8 truck, but makes sense they would make them for various pressures and vacuums, all depends on the application, there's something for just about everything if you got the muhla to fork out.

stainless wont corrode as badly as aluminum when mixed with copper but it is a larger gap than silver to copper or copper to brass.

the biggest issue would be silver to stainless corrosion. You could not use silver in the loop with stainless fittings as the corrosion would be a significant risk.

copper and aluminum is a significant reaction. the galvanic index for copper is -0.35 while aluminum is between -0.7 and -0.9

really good grades of stainless are -0.5 but it can go all the way to -0.75 depending on the alloy.

Silver is around -0.15.

It would be wise to ensure you dont use silver iodide as your biocide.

I know they make those fittings in brass for Air pressure purposes, if it's better than stainless that might be a route to look into. As much as I wish I had a wallet large enough for silver fittings, I don't think that is in the cards this lifetime or any other for that matter.

Back