• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put my laptop in the freezer & it still overheated please help me I'm desperate!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hamdan

Registered
Put my laptop in the freezer & it still overheated please help me I'm desperate!

Hi :rain:,

My HP Envy 17 3D Laptop is the biggest piece of garbage I ever bought.

Portability is a long dead myth because the minute it's off the external cooling fan the RAID 0 harddrive always freezes and the laptop overheats at even the smallest task like watching YouTube at 1080p.

Its been about a year since I've got the laptop and I've let that go and now simply just use it like a desktop.

What's really bothering is that I can't play any proper games on this gigantic waste of money. I bought a $100 metallic laptop cooling stand and it still isn't wasn't enough to get me 2 minutes into Batman Arkham City with the lowest settings possible.

I wanted to play Arkham City so badly today I ended putting the laptop along with an external fan in my mini fridge and even that didn't even get me 10 minutes in.

Someone please tell me how to get the laptop to stop overheating I really want to play Arkham City :(

Here are my specs btw:
----------------------------------
01 - Operating System

0101 - Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111118-2330)
0102 - Language : English (Regional Setting: English)
0103 - BIOS : InsydeH2O Version 03.61.01F.15
0104 - Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
0105 - Memory : 8192MB RAM
0106 - Available OS Memory : 8140MB RAM
0107 - Page File : 2064MB used, 14213MB available
0108 - Windows Dir : C:\Windows
0109 - DirectX Version : DirectX 11
0110 - DX Setup Parameters : Not found
0111 - User DPI Setting : Using System DPI
0112 - System DPI Setting : 96 DPI (100 percent)
0113 - DWM DPI Scaling : Disabled
0114 - DxDiag Version : 6.01.7601.17514

02 - Processor

0201 - Caption : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz x8 ~2001MHz
0202 - CurrentClockSpeed : 1980MHz
0203 - L1 Cache : 32.00 KB
0204 - L2 Cache : 256.00 KB
0205 - L3 Cache : 6.00 MB

03 - Video Adapter

0301 - Card Name : Radeon (TM) HD 6850M
0302 - Manufacturer : ATI Technologies Inc.
0303 - Chip Type : ATI display adapter (0x68A8)
0304 - DAC Type : Internal DAC(400MHz)

04 - Hard Disk

0801 - Model : RAID-0
0802 - MediaType : Fixed hard disk media
0803 - Size : 1863.02 GB
0805 - Driver Date : 6-21-2006
0806 - Driver Version : 6.1.7600.16385

0807 - Caption : C:\
0808 - Capacity : 1851.24 GB
0809 - FreeSpace : 568.43 GB
0810 - DriveType : 3-Fixed
0811 - FileSystem : NTFS

0807 - Caption : D:\
0808 - Capacity : 11.49 GB
0809 - FreeSpace : 1.28 GB
0810 - DriveType : 3-Fixed
0811 - FileSystem : NTFS

I appreciate any and all help and support :thup:

Have you contacted HP about replacing your laptop? This sounds like a hardware problem that should be under warranty.

Isn't there any way I could keep the laptop cool without sending it off to hp?
I'll have to reassemble my keyboard which got some water in it and I don't want to format my harddrive.

Isn't there any way I could keep the laptop cool without sending it off to hp?
Does't sound like it, especially if the mini fridge didn't work. You can ask HP if you can send it in without the harddrive. If not, you could back up an image of it and then format it.

Are you running any kind of distributed computing stuff on the laptop, like Folding@Home?

On a smaller note if your warranty is out. You should find the specs for taking it apart and cleaning the internal heat spreaders. Once they are clogged be it the CPU or GPU or even just the in or out takes, laptops won't do games at all. I clean my Alienware MX 17 every 3 months.

On a smaller note if your warranty is out. You should find the specs for taking it apart and cleaning the internal heat spreaders. Once they are clogged be it the CPU or GPU or even just the in or out takes, laptops won't do games at all. I clean my Alienware MX 17 every 3 months.
Only do this if the warranty has expired. Otherwise you'll void the warranty.

After I disassembled the laptop and took out the keyboard nearly 3 weeks ago I sent it to a nearby computer shop to make sure there wasn't any water left. There they did a general cleaning and reassembled it without the keyboard. So I don't think that's the problem and besides it's been overheating like this since I first got it it was just a little better.

Well... I gave my recommendation. :shrug: If you're willing to void the warranty then it's not a bad idea to open it up and try to clean things out, but if it overheated from the start then it's probably not due to clogged fins.

Well... I gave my recommendation. :shrug: If you're willing to void the warranty then it's not a bad idea to open it up and try to clean things out, but if it overheated from the start then it's probably not due to clogged fins.

I'm sorry I think you didn't understand what I meant my warranty has already expired and I already sent it to a nearby computer shop where they cleaned it completely and made sure the airflow wasn't clogged.

Isn't there anything I can do now to better cool the processor maybe stretch it out of the laptop and put in a more advanced cooling system ?

Have you downloaded a temperature monitoring program to see what your actual cpu/gpu temps are? Would like to see what your cpu/gpu temps are when you freeze. Realtemp or coretemp are the regular recommendations...

Just give me 15 minutes Ill get those and and I'll run Batman Arkham City to show you the tempreatures when it overheats =)

Take it apart remove the heat sinks, clean them remove the old TIM. Use a good quality TIM to re-install them with. Make sure the fans are clean and working properly at full speed. I have seen several laptops with over heating issues that people didn't realize that their fans wasn't working.

I'm in the process of replacing 2 different fans on 2 different laptops for friends and neither of them realized it until the laptops started locking up. It happens and it sucks when it happens.

Defiantly replace the old TIM with new TIM.

I have no idea where to find the log files in real temp my laptops already shut down three times since I last posted !
What do you guys mean by TIM ?

This sounds very much like the paste they used was very cheap. It probably dried up and not transferring heat very good, or at all. Take the heat sink and fans off, and reapply the paste yourself. Cleaning the fans can also drastically cool the system.

TIM is Thermal interface material, also known as Thermal Paste. I've been using Artic Silver 5 for about 10 years now and it works great (though it's probably time to see what other, better, choices there are available now days) and is pretty cheap.

Thanks for the help I'll google specific instructions and see how far I can get on my own but honestly i'll probably end up sending it to the computer shop I've got finals next week

and Thanks for the help everyone =D

Back