• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put my laptop in the freezer & it still overheated please help me I'm desperate!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Question : Your able to run your laptop normal right? I mean just googling stuff and not doing anything intensive? If so try this.

Download and install CoreTemp. This will tell you how hot your CPU is running at the moment. Then download and install Prime95. Run it for just testing - maximum heat and then watch the coretemp measurments. This would let you know if your CPU is overheating outside of a game so you could see just what the temps are hitting.

Anything in the 85-90 range is in the "Danger, I'm running on the line here" and higher than that is "OMG Lets boil penguin eggs!"

HEY! Thats an HP Laptop your talking about! HP only uses GENUINE KOREN sweat shop labor! They have standards you know!

One problem I see is that your sending your PC somewhere else to be fixed. I never trust anyone and do all my own work unless it is an RMA.

Before doing the work of taking it apart, replacing TIM; I would again urge you to check and see, even @ idle, what your temps are... There are many things that can cause a computer to freeze besides overheating.

First, you need to see your temps. You must run some tests, and let us know.

If you don't know about any test software, let us know.

It could be time for a real PC for gaming and not some lame laptop.

I never knew HP used slave labor that's terrible but I guess it explain a lot.

A couple of my friends who dropped out of uni last year and went all bill gates started the computer company I send my laptop to. So me and my wallet have absolute trust in them =P

Anyway more importantly I just installed coretemp and ran prime95 the first couple of seconds the temperatures spiked to 95 degrees average for the four cores then quickly went down to 85 degress after the fan kicked in. I kept it running for a couple of minutes and it steadily increased to 90 at which point the BIOS kicked in and shut down the laptop. I ran the test again and it showed similar results

I never knew HP used slave labor that's terrible but I guess it explain a lot.

A couple of my friends who dropped out of uni last year and went all bill gates started the computer company I send my laptop to. So me and my wallet have absolute trust in them =P

Anyway more importantly I just installed coretemp and ran prime95 the first couple of seconds the temperatures spiked to 95 degrees average for the four cores then quickly went down to 85 degress after the fan kicked in. I kept it running for a couple of minutes and it steadily increased to 90 at which point the BIOS kicked in and shut down the laptop. I ran the test again and it showed similar results

Please confirm that your temps are Celsius, if so, then the next step is to replace the thermal matter on your cpu. This is something your friends should be able to do if you're not comfortable. I'm sure there's a youtube video of the laptop being taken apart if you feel froggy! Let us know how it goes!

Yep, it has issues. Something ain't right, it needs opened up again and checked. The TIM might need to be redone, the air channels might still be clogged, or your fan isn't working properly.

my hp laptop was the same way, i could play cod4 on it... for about 5 minutes and then the cpu got 120c and shutdown lol their cooling system on almost all of their laptops are terrible. also worked on another hplaptop that had an issue with the gpu heatsink not making contact with the gpu, that one was an easy fix just had to put in a copper shim with some mx-2 on both sides and bam worked again.

Yep it's in celsius I guess It's finally confirmed I'll have to send it for repair

Thanks for all the advice everyone I really appreciate It :thup:

I'll post back in a week or two with exactly what happened :D

You put your laptop in a freezer? Pics?

Also, side note, if you left your laptop in a mini fridge with the door open, it actually will increase the overall temperature of the enclosure that the fridge is in.....

You put your laptop in a freezer? Pics?

Also, side note, if you left your laptop in a mini fridge with the door open, it actually will increase the overall temperature of the enclosure that the fridge is in.....

It was such a bad moment for me I never took any pictures.
I'd honestly recreate it for you but I'll have to drag the fridge back from the kitchen and I have finals in 3 days time. :p

It was such a bad moment for me I never took any pictures.
I'd honestly recreate it for you but I'll have to drag the fridge back from the kitchen and I have finals in 3 days time. :p
Haha, okay same here. I read your post and I couldn't stop laughing.

I too used to own a ridiculous 'Gaming Laptop' because I thought that it would be a good computer to have to do CAD and other engr. related stuff on. Turns out, there is no such thing as a 'Gaming Laptop', just a really heavy and large computer that happens to fold in half and has 30 minutes of battery life on a full charge. Also, sitting it on your lap is perilous because of the enormous amount of heat produced by such a thing. Luckilly, mine died after about 4 months of regular use and I convinced Dell to take it back and refund me the money I had originally paid for it. I learned my lesson and built exactly what I wanted and got 10x the computer for less money.

Last edited:
Only do this if the warranty has expired. Otherwise you'll void the warranty.

No you won't. Disassembling your laptop within warranty is perfectly fine, so as long as you don't physically break anything because they will find out.

I've taken apart my laptop many times while still within warranty.

As for the original post, I hope the replacement works 100% for you.

I had an HP laptop that I had to send back twice within a two month period because it would overheat and kill itself.

No you won't. Disassembling your laptop within warranty is perfectly fine, so as long as you don't physically break anything because they will find out.

I had an HP laptop that I had to send back twice within a two month period because it would overheat and kill itself.

depends on the warranty

For temperatures, don't use a game. Get RealTemp to monitor and run Prime95 to put a 100% load on your CPU.

For a 100% load on your GPU, run FurMark and monitor temperatures using the AMD Catalyst Control Center that should already be on your machine.

Haha, okay same here. I read your post and I couldn't stop laughing.

I too used to own a ridiculous 'Gaming Laptop' because I thought that it would be a good computer to have to do CAD and other engr. related stuff on. Turns out, there is no such thing as a 'Gaming Laptop', just a really heavy and large computer that happens to fold in half and has 30 minutes of battery life on a full charge. Also, sitting it on your lap is perilous because of the enormous amount of heat produced by such a thing. Luckilly, mine died after about 4 months of regular use and I convinced Dell to take it back and refund me the money I had originally paid for it. I learned my lesson and built exactly what I wanted and got 10x the computer for less money.

Thanks for sharing I've started my own personal war against gaming laptops like 6 months I don't think anyone who knows me will ever get a gaming laptop :D

I'll have to check about that but it depends on the price of the fixing it @ my friends computer company. The HP service center demands the laptop be formatted and it would take them close to a month to fix it if it is still under warranty. I can't wait that long with summer around the corner and I definitely don't want to format my laptop I don't have a 2 TB external HDD.

For temperatures, don't use a game. Get RealTemp to monitor and run Prime95 to put a 100% load on your CPU.

For a 100% load on your GPU, run FurMark and monitor temperatures using the AMD Catalyst Control Center that should already be on your machine.

I'm confused doesn't Prime95 have an option to put a 100% load on your GPU? Cause I already ran Prime95 And I used coretemp to checks for the temperatures on the GPU it gave me the temperatures across all 4 cores

I love my gaming laptop. It is an Alienware MX17. It is a little over two years old so I am not able to play the latests games on ultra or some even high but that is what my gaming rig is for. I still play Rift, LOTRO, Guildwars, etc. on it.

Prime 95 is used for maxing out the temp of your CPU, not the GPU. Furmark is a good one to use to work that GPU up to a full load and see what kind of temps your getting there.

As for the "gaming laptop" thing, I love my Clevo. Its the best computer I've ever owned and honestly I've never owned a computer for this long. Normally I switch machines every 6 months/year max. This Clevo has been with me for going on 5 years now.

Gaming laptops can be great (they really are desktop replacements with built in battery backup in my opinion) BUT they have to be built right.

Back