• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting core speeds back to default?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kirby_

I have an AMD Phenom II x6 1050t and it seems like I managed to set my core speeds to 3.1ghz some time ago and I don't know how/why I did it but I want to get it back to default (2.8ghz, I believe?), but I have no idea how to do it.

So, can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this? Thank you!

There's two of ways to do it:

If you are comfortable in manually changing the bios settings (which you may have been what you did to speed them up), go into bios and change the HT Reference frequency back to the stock 200 mhz. HT Reference may be called other things in bios like "CPU Frequency" or "CPU Clock Frequency" or "CPU Core Clock Frequency". If this is what you did in the first place to speed the cores up then the main Overclock Mode control in bios will no longer be on "Auto" but if it is, take it off Auto so you can see and access the frequency control. Hit F10 key and choose "Yes" to save.

Second, you could reset the bios to default with the CMOS jumper that should be near the little round flat button battery on the motherboard. First, power down the computer and unplug the PSU from the wall. Then move the jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pins 2 and 3 (typically) and leave it in that position for 15 seconds before moving it back to pins 1 and 2. Don't power the computer back up until you replace the jumper to it's original position. Then go back into bios and restore your time and date settings, boot order, quick boot, or any other custom settings you use. Save with F10 as above.

on many boards you can just hit the f5 key while in bios and restart.
many boards have a reset to defalt option somewere in the bios.

Good input, caddi. I forgot about the default "F" key. I've also seen boards where the F9 key is used for that. And I think the good thing about that method, as I recall, is it retains time and date and other non-overclocking stuff settings.

It's F5 for me and I've done that already (before posting this).

While I'm posting this, I have another question that may or may not relevant to the main reason I posted this thread. According to CPUID HWM & Speedfan, my AMD Phenom's cores' temps are sitting at 60c, while my GPU's temp is sitting at 71c. I've read around and saw that my processor can go up to 62c before it starts to not like how hot it's getting. And typically I'd feel fine since I'm not yet at that temp, though close, but what's troubling me is that these are my temps whether I'm gaming or whether I'm not gaming.

As for my GPU, I have a 5770. I don't know what the highest temp for my video card is before things start getting bad, but I'm still already uncomfortable knowing that my GPU temp is probably too high. In CCC, my fan speeds are @ 100%. I don't know what my CPU's fans' speeds are, let alone how to check/change.

Basically what I'm getting at is, what can I do to lower these? I cannot afford canned air + thermal paste if it were to be needed. I also cannot afford cheaper alternatives. Anything that costs money is out of the picture for this moment.

Last edited:
Before posting post #5 or before starting the thread? Is the problem solved now?

try the f5 key, enter key then the f10 key, at this point it should ask to save settings and reset.

In the past for a complete cmos reset i have had to leave the battery out and the jumper in place for quite a long time.

Back