• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Putting together final overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

Putting together final overclock Phenom II X4 960T 4 cores & 6 cores

Ok here's my situation.

I found max safe limits. Now I just need to dial in the right combo to get them stable.

I have a five settings that I want to get stable but don't know which one is better on a scale of 1-5 which one is best?

nb7pfm.jpg

CPU multiplier in order of 2-5 as shown above:

2 = x19
3 = x18.5
4 = x16
5 = x15.5

Last edited:
What CPU is that? you have 1605T in your signature, is that a 960T with the 2 cores unlocked?

Anyway, for performance what matters is.

#1 CPU frequency

#2 CPU NB

#3 RAM

Your charts there are all about the same, go for #5 as that has the highest RAM speed, CPU and CPU-NB are about the same.

What CPU is that? you have 1605T in your signature, is that a 960T with the 2 cores unlocked?

#1 CPU frequency

#2 CPU NB

#3 RAM

Your charts there are all about the same, go for #5 as that has the highest RAM speed, CPU and CPU-NB are about the same.
yes should I change it back to 960T with 2 cores unlocked?

yes should I change it back to 960T with 2 cores unlocked?

In your signature? yes, it helps if we know what your CPU is, 1605T doesn't mean anything to most people, Others just think is that an unlocked 960T and he's reading the CPU-Z glitch? :)

What do you mean when you say you found "safe limits"? Do you refer to temperatures? Or do you mean the max frequency that you can put each of those parameters in your table and still have the computer boot? Or what do you mean if neither of those two?

And why are you testing the limits of your FSB when you have a black edition CPU with an unlocked multiplier? Just leave the FSB alone and overclock with the multiplier. Much simpler that way. You can go back after roughing your CPU overclock out and then tweak on the HT Link and the CPUNB individually to put the final touches on it. If you use the multiplier you don't have to keep fooling with the HT Link and CPUNB while you are trying to overclock the CPU cores because they don't change like they do when you use the FSB to overclock.

Last edited:
In your signature? yes, it helps if we know what your CPU is, 1605T doesn't mean anything to most people, Others just think is that an unlocked 960T and he's reading the CPU-Z glitch? :)
I changed it to Phenom II X6 960T. Is it clearer?

What do you mean when you say you found "safe limits"? Do you refer to temperatures? Or do you mean the max frequency that you can put each of those parameters in your table and still have the computer boot? Or what do you mean if neither of those two?

And why are you testing the limits of your FSB when you have a black edition CPU with an unlocked multiplier? Just leave the FSB alone and overclock with the multiplier. Much simpler that way. You can go back after roughing your CPU overclock out and then tweak on the HT Link and the CPUNB individually to put the final touches on it. If you use the multiplier you don't have to keep fooling with the HT Link and CPUNB while you are trying to overclock the CPU cores because they don't change like they do when you use the FSB to overclock.
Good questions.

I found safe limits according to temperatures and still have the computer boot.

I actually never tested the FSB or HT limits.

This is the order in which I found each of my safe limits, having everything else stock, except for voltages (and the FSB that needed to change with the RAM speed):

#1 RAM, had to increase FSB to increase RAM speed
1760Mhz @ 1.60V

#2 NB, everything else stock
3066Mhz @ 1.34375V

#3 Multiplier, everything else stock
x 20 = 4000Mhz @ 1.225V + .115625V offset = 1.340625V

Those FSB numbers on my chart in the OP just happen to let me get closer to this combination of CPU/NB/RAM limits that I just listed. I suspect my actual FSB limits are probably somewhere up there near 275-300. I've never FSB'd that high so right now I'm fiddling with the FSB to find the best combination i have up there and work on getting that stable.

But you never answered my main question: Why are you complicating the overclock process by overclocking with the FSB instead of the CPU multiplier when you have black edition CPU?

I believe my previous post already answered that question.

Last edited:

#1 CPU frequency

#2 CPU NB

#3 RAM

What do you think between #3 and #5?

Your in very good hands with trents, he knows more than i do and its not a good idea to have two of us advising you :)

I believe my previous post already answered that question.

Yes, sorry. I see now that in #3 you did say something about multiplier being on 20x. For some reason my eyes didn't pick that up. But the way you presented this with your table in the OP was confusing as it seems like you were using a multiplier of 16x there.

May I suggest an approach to this task that has worked well for me and for many others I have helped? The approach I outline below is simple and has the advantage of dealing with the fewest number of variable possible at one time.

I suggest putting everything back to stock frequencies and voltages to begin with. Then:
1. Start increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x increments.
2. After each .5x increment advance, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for tentative stability. If you pass the 20 minutes test, add another .5x increment. Repeat this until you fail the test, meaning blue screen, lockup, spontaneous restart or having one of the Prime95 core workers drop out. Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop whenever you run Prime95 in order to monitor temps and voltages.
3. When you first fail the 20 minute stress test, add .025 to the CPU core voltage to stabilize. Run the stress test again at the same multiplier. You should pass this time but if not, add a small increment of voltage.
4. Repeat this cycle until either your core temp begins to exceed 55c or the CPU (socket) temp begins to exceed 65c or the max CPU vcore as reported by HWMonitor reaches 1.525.
5. At that point report back to us with attached screen shots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". We will advise further at that point, particularly concerning HT Link and CPUNB frequencies and voltages.

There is a handy built in forum tool for attaching screenshots. Click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of any new post window and when the Advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip tool at the top which will bring up the file browser/upload tool.

By the way, in your "Sig" you neglected to mention anything about what CPU cooler you are using and this is one of the most important components when overclocking. If you are using the stock cooler your overclock will be very limited.

Yes, sorry. I see now that in #3 you did say something about multiplier being on 20x.
That was my initial CPU test which was stable. THat is not listed on the table.

But the way you presented this with your table in the OP was confusing as it seems like you were using a multiplier of 16x there.

Can you let me try explain why I did that?

I put together that table after finding the safe limits for each component.

For example:

my CPU safe limit is 20x200 = 4000mhz.
my NB safe limit is 15x200 = 3000mhz
My RAM safe limit is 220 = 1760mhz

Initally, I combine them in two options I have:

Option 1:
CPU = 20x 200 FSB = 4000mhz.
NB = 15x 200 FSB 3000mhz
RAM = 200 FSB = 1600mhz
HT = 10x 200 FSB = 2000mhz

Option 2:
CPU = 16x 250 FSB = 4000mhz.
NB = 12x 250 FSB 3000mhz
RAM = 250 FSB = 1667mhz
HT = 8x 250 FSB = 2000mhz

The bold part is what I put in my table because they only speed difference between option 1 and option 2 is higher ram speed.

And the table in my OT = CPU overclocks + NB/RAM overclocks.

May I suggest an approach to this task that has worked well for me and for many others I have helped? The approach I outline below is simple and has the advantage of dealing with the fewest number of variable possible at one time.

I suggest putting everything back to stock frequencies and voltages to begin with. Then:
1. Start increasing the CPU multiplier by .5x increments.
2. After each .5x increment advance, run a 20 minute Prime95 blend test to check for tentative stability. If you pass the 20 minutes test, add another .5x increment. Repeat this until you fail the test, meaning blue screen, lockup, spontaneous restart or having one of the Prime95 core workers drop out. Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop whenever you run Prime95 in order to monitor temps and voltages.
3. When you first fail the 20 minute stress test, add .025 to the CPU core voltage to stabilize. Run the stress test again at the same multiplier. You should pass this time but if not, add a small increment of voltage.
4. Repeat this cycle until either your core temp begins to exceed 55c or the CPU (socket) temp begins to exceed 65c or the max CPU vcore as reported by HWMonitor reaches 1.525.
5. At that point report back to us with attached screen shots of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". We will advise further at that point, particularly concerning HT Link and CPUNB frequencies and voltages.

There is a handy built in forum tool for attaching screenshots. Click on the Go Advanced button found at the bottom of any new post window and when the Advanced post window appears click on the little paperclip tool at the top which will bring up the file browser/upload tool.
Sure. I'll take your approach. Thanks! I'll have the pics up by midnightish PST.

As for #4 in your outline, I have to limit the CPU Socket temps to about 55C degrees for 24/7 stability because:

1. I anticipate an increase of several degrees (more or less) for hot days/nights which will bring up the temps to 62ish.
2. I'm not comfortable going above 62C degrees (in fact, the highest temp I saw before my comp crashed was 63C degrees on a summer night that was 79C degree weahter room temperature!)

To digress, FWIW, your outline is where I already started from in the first place (in between my two overclocking threads that I startd.) And from there I decreased the CPU multiplier and increased the FSB in 4 different frequencies taht you see in the table. Those 4 CPU/FSB combinations allowed me to stay near my safe limits that I found earlier.

It's possible I may have missed something in my overclocking. So I'll go with you on this one.

By the way, in your "Sig" you neglected to mention anything about what CPU cooler you are using and this is one of the most important components when overclocking. If you are using the stock cooler your overclock will be very limited.
Sig udpated.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation of your process. That helps. Cutting to the chase, it will probably help your stability if you also give the CPUNB a little extra voltage. 1.225-125 seems about right. The CPUNB has to do with the memory controller and data transfer with the CPU cache particularly. If you will set your CPUNB frequency to about 2600 and the voltage to about 1.225-1.25 and bump the default ram voltage from 1.5 to about 1.525 it will help with stability and memory performance. Oh, and your HT Link frequency should be about 2200 mhz probably. These should do you well for a CPU overclock to about 4.0ghz.

Here's my current settings:

CPU Mutliplier = 20x
FSB 200
CPU Speed = 4000Mhz @ 0.109375V Offset in BIOS
RAM Speed = 1600Mhz @ 1.520V
NB Speed = 2600Mhz @ 1.25000V
HT Speed = 2200Mhz @ 1.2000V

Attachments

• CPU1.jpg
    CPU1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 76
  • Memory.jpg
    Memory.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 73
  • SPD.jpg
    SPD.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
See if that configuration will pass at least 2 hrs. of Prime95 blend. It looks good on paper but the proof is in the stress testing. The only thing that looks out of whack is the CPU core voltage. At 1.368 I think it will prove way too low to give a stable overclock of 4.0 ghz. I'm guessing you will need closer to 1.5 to be stable under load.

Do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration)?

Here's my current settings:

CPU Mutliplier = 20x
FSB 200
CPU Speed = 4000Mhz @ 0.109375V Offset in BIOS
RAM Speed = 1600Mhz @ 1.520V
NB Speed = 2600Mhz @ 1.25000V
HT Speed = 2200Mhz @ 1.2000V

Now where is the corresponding HWMonitor capture that is almost without fail requested as well? At the settings above and with HWMonitor having logged min and max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running in blend mode for at least 20 mins to upwardly settle in the temp rise.

'trents' has most likely gone to bed and I could not sleep. So rather than him have check; when he wakens, and then have to ask where is the HWMonitor capture, I asked for him.

Speeds and all look pretty good. If that configuration will pass at last 2 hours of P95 blend, then you should be very golden.

See if that configuration will pass at least 2 hrs. of Prime95 blend. It looks good on paper but the proof is in the stress testing. The only thing that looks out of whack is the CPU core voltage. At 1.368 I think it will prove way too low to give a stable overclock of 4.0 ghz. I'm guessing you will need closer to 1.5 to be stable under load.
Under 2 hour load, CPU-Z shows a range of 1.428V-1.452V

Do you have LLC (Load Line Calibration)?
In Bold, LLC is set to Enabled/Disabled/Auto.

Now where is the corresponding HWMonitor capture that is almost without fail requested as well? At the settings above and with HWMonitor having logged min and max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running in blend mode for at least 20 mins to upwardly settle in the temp rise.

'trents' has most likely gone to bed and I could not sleep. So rather than him have check; when he wakens, and then have to ask where is the HWMonitor capture, I asked for him.

Speeds and all look pretty good. If that configuration will pass at last 2 hours of P95 blend, then you should be very golden.
It passed 2 hours!

Attachments

• CPU1.jpg
    CPU1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 72
  • HWM.jpg
    HWM.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 133
The image below does not show the CPU Core Temps but am guessing the Cpu Core Temps to be about 10c or so below the CPU Temp and that should be very good at 4.0Ghz with not too great of a Vcore applied. Looks like a pretty good overclock actually.

attachment.php

That is excellent! To be able to get to 4.0 ghz on that low of core voltage with all the cores unlocked is not common. You have a bit of a cherry CPU there I would say. I could not get mine stable on six cores past 3.9ghz without exceeding 1.5 vcore by a considerable amount.

What you should try now is to see how far you can overclock it as a four core. More than likely it will go higher than 4.0ghz as a four core and since few applications can take advantage of six cores anyway you might find that actually gives you better performance than running it at six cores. You would see that to be true in games, for instance where a higher clock speed will give better performance that more cores at a lower clock speed.

Back