• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM 4 pin Y cable please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drosera01

I just added second fan on my Hyper+ for push pull config. I was in local microcenter and grabbed this one as pwm Y cable http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0341752
It works with Molex connector but I noticed that out of 3 male connectors only one has 4 pin and other 2 has only 3 male pins. And that makes one of my Hyper 212+ fan spins at full speed even when computer is idle.
When i had only one fan on Hyper 212+ it used to spin ard 800-1000 rpm and now second fan is spinning @ 2000 always.

So can anyone suggest me a Y cable (preferable exact link on newegg or amazon) that can split motherboard cpu 4 pin male connector to two 4 pin male connectors. I dont want either of these 2 fans on Hyper 212+ spin unnecessarily high speed.
PS: I looked around and found some results (most of them seems to have 3 pin female connectors) but want to make sure it works to my needs before putting order online.
thanks.

New Egg had something in the Rosewill lineup but search says discontinued on their site. Who knows what that means.

Did a little digging and I find this:

Probably why you have not seen very many such Y-cables yet. They have to made up special.
{1.} Must cut the Sense (Reports RPMs) of one of the fans. and then (2.) Both fans will run are the same speed.

The sense line sends back a pulse indicating RPMs - You would get some really crazy readings if two fans are both sending a signal. Not only would this signal be sent to the motherboard, but also to each other fan.

The Splitter below seems to "understand" about two conflicting sense signals sense it says this:
(one with RPM feedback for motherboard) << But it might be similar to what you have already. I do not know. I likely would never run two fans on same mobo header in the first place.

*** NEW *** Akasa PWM Fan Splitter Cable - 15cm

I really like the idea of this splitter better since it does not draw its' power from the mobo and chance overloading the cpu fan header. It gets power from a molex coming from power supply but uses the mobo to control the fan speeds.

Akasa PWM splitter - Smart Fan Cable

You answered my question. and thanks a lot for the effort. The cable on your second link is the one I have right now, that draws power from PSU only problem i am having is at least one of the CPU cooler Fan (Hyper +, push pull) always runs at high/max speed.

I was thinking if i can get a cable that has all 4 pins (including speed control) on both splits then may be i can run both fans at the same speed or at lower speed when computer is idling. But looks like thats not an good idea as
sensor would give crazy readings.

So, any idea to control other CPU FAn thats always running on max speed?
thank you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123297

This is what i just ordered on Wednesday and will be shipped to me today. What it is from my understanding is that one of the 4 pin's is missing a pin so that the sensors wouldn't give a crazy reading.

If you order from mine as well it would be better to order 2 as its only .50 cent + a little extra for shipping just in case you need it again

Edit: Looks like that one doesn't have the "cut" on the wire but i plan on doing what this has done where there's 1 4 pin and 1 3 pin so that it doesn't mess with the sensors

OKGEAR 12" 4pin PWM fan Y cable Model FC444PWM-12 << that cable that "benj1290 links from NewEgg has each of the four wires running on each leg of the Y-split. I don't think that will work for reasons aleady stated. AND I am beginning to think that cutting the sense wire on one of the PWM fans will make one run at full speed. One runs at full speed even though they are selling the Y's saying that the PWM function should work for all the fans connected. That being three fans on the one you bought with the ability to 'regulate' 3 fans but power from the power supply.

Heck buy the one ''benj1290'' is buying and don't cut the sense line first and try it. Maybe the two sensing signals will not dork up. Maybe it will and then cut the sense wire going to one fan. See if both are regulated. I am guessing one will go fast and the other regulated.

OR it seems like "benj1290 is going to buy the one with four wires to each leg and he is going to cut one sensing leg. Maybe he will report back with his results without you buying and trying.

Couldn't find a screen to hook up to the server lol. but i would like to report that everything is in working order and the BIOS is reading 6 Fans + 1 CPU Fan for the server that i bought it for

Ok back to my own thread again, i was playing on my bios today again and i found an option to change cpu fan control mode and that took care of my problem.
By default fan control mode is auto and that makes at least one or both fans spin at max. So my cpu fan speed reading was always 1950+ , when i changed cpu fan control mode to PWM, fan speed reading dropped to 1100+. And Man it is quiet now.
Finally, i can tell you 4 pin PWM Y-cable works to control both fans on my hyper 212 after adjusting setting on my Bios.
Hope this helps to other guys who were cutting sensor pin.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Personally I've never been a massive fan of push pull, I tend to opt for bigger fans instead. I recently picked up a Sanyo Denki San Ace 9SG1212G101 PWM fan for $50 shipped off eBay. It can run at as little as 500RPM and as high as 6000RPM pushing a max output of 260CFM.

Runs a separate molex connector for power and PWM connector for the mainboard to keep it quiet. Needles to say at 500RPM its inaudible, and you absolotely know there no chance of your chip EVER overheating.

I'll be keeping an eye out to see if I can pick up another at some point. They're a pretty well impossible to come by in Australia, and would be a good match for my Corsair H100 (once its been warrantied).

Someones posted a video on YouTube of it here:

Back