• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q. about RAM sinks for vid cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ezeKieL987

i was looking into adding some RAM sinks to my video card and have found the copper one's that are a little more expensive than most...should i go with some basic ones like this, link, or should i go with the copper one's? and which would be the best for OCing...and i planned on attaching them with Arctic Silver Epoxy...same stuff i used to attach the heatsink to my video card....or should i use something else??

If you want absolute performance go with the copper, be careful with the adhesives, some are electrical conducters, one blob on the ram pins n its fried. Good luck mate, let us know how you get on :D

Use Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive to attach your ramsink. AATA is a ceramic-based thermal adhesive, and its not conductive, so its safe to use it on ram.

Yes, both of the Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive and Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive consist of 2 tubes per package, the only difference is:

AATA have 1 tube of Arctic Alumina + 1 tube of adhesive

ASTA have 1 tube of Arctic Silver + 1 tube of adhesive

And the reason i suggests you to use AATA is that Arctic Alumina isn't conductive, while the Arctic Silver is. You don't want any conductive stuff touching your Ram's pins.:burn:

ok, yea i remember now i have the arctic "alumina" thermal adhesive (got it to attatch the heatsink to my vid)...so now its just waiting to get some more cash and get some of the copper ram sinks...i hope they help some...plus it will make the card look a little cooler..:cool:

copper sounds like a good idea, but you also have to mind that the more the area, the better heat will be spreaded, so i think that as expensive as they sound, just buy thermaltake's ram cool kit or whatever...

i just bought the ASTA and found out it's conductive. Now i wanna get AATA so i don't risk blowing out a huge expensive ti4600.

you wont blow your video card out with asta if you are careful. Tape the pins with electrical tape, use some silicon, anything. They even say it on the website. Take the correct precautions and you are fine.

and o yea, ramsinks dont do much. :)

Just a decent air supply over the ram is adequete. Ive tried with and without and my temps were same, just as stable, and 3dmark didnt show any changes.

obliv said:
and o yea, ramsinks dont do much. :)

Just a decent air supply over the ram is adequete. Ive tried with and without and my temps were same, just as stable, and 3dmark didnt show any changes.

RAMsinks would not do anything to increase your 3dmark score unless you use ramsinks and overclock your video memory. thats a different story.

Back