• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q on case fan plug in new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I'm putting together my first build, and have a question about the case fans.
I have a haf 932 advanced, and the 230mm case fan plugs look like this.

230FanPlugs.jpg

How do I plug this into my motherboard (Asus Z97-Pro)? It's got a 3-pin connector in there, but that part is extended to those larger plugs. Are those molex power plugs? And if so, how can I get those into the motherboard headers so that I can control them with fan xpert 3?

Unplug the molex adapter. It's the hunk of plastic where the black/red wires meet the red/white ones. Then you should be able to plug it into any MB fan header.

Yup yup, if it doesn't reach you'll need a three wire fan extension, which you can get at most on-line shops and locals too...a three wire will still plug onto a four wire motherboard fan header, leaving one pin unconnected. RPM sensing will work, but not PWM speed control (but it's not a PWM fan anyway).

Ok so ran into another hiccup. I'm trying to install the backplate of the H90 to the motherboard (ASUS Z97-Pro), but as you can see in the picture below, there are some metal contacts in-between the bottom left/right and top left/right mounting holes. That's where the sticky pads on the backplate are supposed to stick too. How do I approach that issue?

MBback.jpg

Could I just cut the pads so that they avoid the contacts altogether? As long as they stick the backplate to the motherboard, right?

This guy, those white pads need to be applied where they're sitting and the whole thing place on the back of the motherboard. I'm just wandering if it's ok for them to go over the metal contacts in the first picture.

BackplateCPU.jpg

P.S. How do you get pictures to rotate? They keep rotating when I upload them.

Just leave the pads as-is, and stick them on there. They are not conductive, but if you remove them, that leaves the metal to possibly touch or arc...you don't want that!

I couldn't find the rotation thing in the user control panel, but you might try shrinking them before posting to see if that helps....plus, not everyone has nice fast internet available, and huge pics take a lot of time to download...myself included...:)

One last question (probably not :shrug: ), for a 3-pin fan plug, which 3-pins do you use on a 4-pin fan header?

I think those pads are there just to help hold the backplate in place until you screw the studs in from the front.

One last question (probably not :shrug: ), for a 3-pin fan plug, which 3-pins do you use on a 4-pin fan header?

The 3 pin plug will usually have a kind of slot to one side of the plug that will only match up one way with the fan header on the board

Yepper, there's a locking tab on the 4 pin motherboard header that is centered on pin two, so it's offset to one side. It centers a 3 pin plug on pins one two and three.
If there's no locking tab, the black fan wire is pin 1, and there should be a printed mark on the motherboard itself denoting pin 1. (Sometimes a dot or a tiny arrow or a tiny number 1)

Also, if you get a splitter, can you have one header controlling two fans, and would they both receive the full power they would need?

Some CPU fan headers control the voltage according to what the bios reads for CPU temp. Most bios's allows this feature to be tweaked or turned off, so there's full power all the time.

I water cool also, and my Asus motherboard has a cow if there's no fan plugged into the CPU fan header, despite bios settings. So I run two fans off of the CPU header and two off of the chassis header.
However, my fans are all 4 pin, and they are all throttled by the Asus bundled utility once windows starts.

This guy, those white pads need to be applied where they're sitting and the whole thing place on the back of the motherboard. I'm just wandering if it's ok for them to go over the metal contacts in the first picture.

View attachment 146721

P.S. How do you get pictures to rotate? They keep rotating when I upload them.

Those metal contacts are can capacitors, like this:
cap.jpg

Those sticky pads won't hurt the caps.

Back