• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 and T9300 OC Tape Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbose

Hi guys,

Im new here and have a few questions. My main computer is an early 2011 15' Macbook Pro with 2.2GHz i7 2720/AMD Radeon HD 6750M/8 gigs DDR3 1333mhz RAM. I run windows 7 ultimate via bootcamp for engineering tasks (solidworks) and have been fairly pleased with its performance.

Recently, I acquired a Gateway DX4710-05 (Q6600 Core 2 quad @2.4GHz, 6gig DDR2 @800mhz, really ****ty graphics)desktop for free and have been messing with it to see how well I can get it to run engineering programs like solidworks, matlab, etc to avoid restarting my MBP in bootcamp all the time. So far, I've determined that gateway has locked many BIOS setting which prevents me from OCing the CPU via manual adjustment in BIOS, but I found a trick on this site (see pic below) to cover one pin which OCs the CPU to 3.0GHz. Ive verified this speed and tested with p95 for over an hour with temps never breaking 65C.

What are my other options to get more speed out of the Q6600 without upgrading the motherboard? If there aren't any, what is a reasonable price on a used motherboard to get the job done? Additionally, would the tape trick work on on a T9300 core 2 duo as well as it did on the Q6600? It would be awesome to try to get the CPU from 2.5 to around 3.0GHz as well.

attachment.php

The mobile core2duo has pins rather than pads, so the mods are rather more permanent. I expect it can be done, but I wouldn't.

You can search the Dell motherboard for the clock generator and then use SetFSB. That's about it beyond the padmod you already did though.

Back