• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 & Biostar TPower i45 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stixx

Hi all. I'm a newbie at any kind of "threading". I will be thrilled beyond expectations if I can get someone to help me understand a few things and to assist me in getting my CPU to run at 3.0 - 3.2Ghz. I'd be grateful to get it at 3.0Ghz.

Simply, I have an Intel Quad 2.66Ghz CPU working in a Biostar TPower i45 MB w/8GB RAM. Everything is set to Biostar default settings, only because it will not accept the OC settings using the Biostar software. I need to OC manually and need some assistance.

I read that Overclocking is fairly easy with my MB & CPU combination. I know nothing about OC, but made an attempt on my own anyway, by following someone else's posted settings. I only increased the FSB voltage in the smallest increments and watched the CPU speed rise. It was a slow process and ended quickly. The CPU got up to 2.8 and made the system cycle through re-boots until I was back at 2.66Ghz. I need to learn and need a guide. Anyone up for it?

What revision of the Q6600 is it you have?
if your not sure install a program called CPU-Z, and it will tell you if it is either the B3 or the D0 revision

From what i've learned on here the B3 doesnt clock as high, but its what im running and I happily got it running at 3.0GHz on stock cooling at safe temps

increased the FSB to 333 and left the multiplier at 9x
didnt touch Vcore as was running stock cooling

disabled C1E as well so it was constantly up at 3GHz instead of dropping down when not under load

try it and see if you get anywhere, always keep an eye on your temps though

I appreciate your input.

I'm sorry, but I very rarely get to do much of anything with the computer. "I should be doing other things", I'm told.

I will get back with something, whenever I have news; thanks again.

Back