• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 concerns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marketpantry

When playing Unreal Tournament 3 for about 4 hours @3.2ghz my first core temp hits 70c. is this something i should be concerned about? What things should i check on my pc for problems? My cooler and pc specs are in my sig. thanks

How about during prime95/Orthos/OCCT?

Try reseating the heatsink w/ good TIM.

This Q6600 maxes at around 65C (p95) at 357x9 with a scythe infinity (a tad bit inferior).

Yeah i probably would be a little concerned if my cpu got to 70°, but getting that temp seems about right after 4 hours of UT3 with the cpu o/c to 3.2ghz.

How about during prime95/Orthos/OCCT?

Try reseating the heatsink w/ good TIM.

This Q6600 maxes at around 65C (p95) at 357x9 with a scythe infinity (a tad bit inferior).

What is TIM? Right now i have a zip tie on the heatsink. earlier when i looked at it about a month ago i tried to jiggle it around and it seemed solid.... what should i look for as far as makinf sure its seated. Under prime the 64 bit version my cpu went into the 70s within the first 2 minutes of running the test.

PS i know i sound like a noob. Thank you in advance for your future input.

TIM is basically thermal paste - the gook that you see between the heatsink and the processor to make sure that there are no air holes in between said heatsink/processor. This ensures that the heat is transferred efficiently from the processor to the heatsink.

Into the 70s within the first 2 minutes? Seems a tad bit too hot to me considering you're running a vendetta2 unless your PC is near a radiator/fireplace or something.

Also, what vcore do you have there? That's also a big factor in determining your core temps.

I believe this shows the max temps for the Q6600 although I will stand corrected.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/221745-11-core-quad-temperature-guide

Q6600 B3 - 65C max
Q6600 G0 - 71C max

Personally I never go above 65C on my G0 and I only ever reach that using Prime95. At an OC of 3.2Ghz and only for gaming I think something is amiss if you reach 70C.

That spec refers to max Tcase which is the temp at the top-dead-center of the IHS. This is not the same as the temp readings we get from the DTS sensors embedded in the core (Tjunction). The DTS sensors report 'Distance to Tjmax', and this is used by Core/RealTemp to display an absolute temp based on the 'guessed' value for Tjmax. The Intel max for Tjunction is called Tjmax, and its absolute value is somewhat debatable. Best thing to do is just watch the distance to Tjmax and try to keep it greater than 20-30.

Back