• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 running hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaneS429

I've just started to overclock my computer for the first time.

I have a Q6600 w/ G0 stepping
Corsair 4x1GB PC6400 800MHz set at 4-4-4-12 with 2.1v
EVGA 750i FTW mobo
xFx 8800GTS XXX 640MB
Antec 500W

The problem I keep running into with trying to overclock is high temperatures.

Right now I set the machine back to stock with the exception of the memory timings and voltage and at 2.4Ghz, Prime95 is making the cores run from the low to mid 50's.

I have the ThermalTake Big Water 760i to cool the CPU so at this point, I'm not sure why my temps are running this high.

At idle the cores range from about 42-46C but never even dip into the 30's. Is this normal for a liquid cooled setup? Shouldn't the CPU being running even cooler than that on liquid cooling?

I just took the machine apart again earlier and made sure everything was tightened down properly, liquid is running fine, little to no air bubbles in the tubes, etc.

I can get my machine running stable at 2.8Ghz but the temps rise to the low to mid 60's under full load. And lets not even get into how high the temps started to go trying to do 3.0 or 3.2Ghz.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

Settings?

What bios settings are you using? Also check out the lapping sticky, if your heatsink isn't flat that could cut down your temps a little bit. Another thing if you could tell us what your cpu's VID is and what stepping your cpu is that would help.

I'm using the SZ1I Bios and the VID is 1.3000

Edit: I thought you asked what bios I had.

For setting, right now they are all set to auto with the exception of memory which is at 2.1v and the timing at 4-4-4-12.

Last edited:
Back