• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9300 vs E8400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dem1an

Alright, I trust you guys and rely on your responses to guide my purchases. With the price between these 2 processors so close ($30), what would be the better long term investment? I am imagining that I may get 4Ghz out of the E8400 and 3.3Ghz out of the Q9300. Which one would be cooler @ these speeds? I also don't need a processor that runs me out of my office due to the furnace.

I'm leaning towards the Quad with Windows 7 around the corner and perhaps more games utilizing the multi-processors. I'm thinking it may have better longevity. What do you think?

wat are the specs of the rest of your rig?

Don't scold me, but I got an EVGA 780i mobo. I know that's probably not the best OC choice. I am considering stepping up to the FTW version.

I've got an EVGA 260 GTX and I'll probably go SLI after not too long. I'm running 1900 x 1200. I also got a 300GB Velociraptor. I have 4 x 1 GB of Buffalo Firestix (D9GMH).

Water cooling wise, I have yet to CPU block, but I do have a pump and Thermochill 120x3 and a big case to play in.

Btw, do you have to reinstall the OS going from a 780i to 780i FTW?

Last edited:
Back