• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9400 Overclocking i need help please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Axeon

Hi guys.
HELP HELP HELP!!! i NEED this STABLE!!
Im semi-new to overclocking, but I know the in's and outs, so don't hesistate to get complicated with words.

My specs are as follows

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L
Processor: Intel Q9400 processor running at 3.20GHz(2.66GHz stock)
RAM: 2x Strontium PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM 2GB
Graphics Card: nVidia GTS250
CPU cooler: Thermaltake Blue Orb 2

My settings are as follows but finding it hard to get stable

CPU vCore: 1.2875V(bios) 1.248V(CPU-Z idle) and 1.223V(CPU-Z under load) i know its low(have tried up to 1.38V)
CPU PLL: 1.65V (1.55 stock)
CPU Termination/VTT:1.30V (1.20 stock)
CPU reference:0.80500V (stock)
MCH core voltage:1.26V(1.10 stock)
MCH reference: 0.76V (stock)
ICH I/O:1.55V (stock)
ICH core: 1.1V (stock)

ram timings are 6-6-6-18 at the moment (stock)
ram voltage: 1.90V
frequency: 800MHz
FSB to RAM ratio 1:1
system memory multiplier(SPD): 2.00D
FSB: 400
Multiplier: 8x

i hope thats enough info... i tried for weeks and weeks to get it stable.. ive increase vCore up to 1.38V and made abit of diferrence.. upped northbridge to 1.36V and got a bit more . changed ram timings to 7-7-7-21 and it kinda helped a bit..

I just really need help getting this stable at 3.2GHz please... i only get about 2 hrs on prime 95 and temps of about 65C
Help me stabilize this and keep temps low and ill give you rep.. plz help

Last edited:
Have you tried turning off load-line-calibration? I found turning off load-line-calibration made my 980x a little bit more stable.

Hey man thanks alot for your reply. Umm well correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't load line calibration being enabled reduce vdroop, so disabling would give me a lower voltage than what is set in the bios. I would say disabling it would have an adverse effect on stability. I'll try disabling it though, and try again. What would you recommend for voltages and such?

ok... well long stroy short... i got a new case... coolermaster cm storm scout... a new power supply... casecome 650w adn a new cooler... coolermaster v8... and ive now tried to keep voltage at 1.30. and cpu termination at 1.36. and ram at 2.0v and mch core at 1.2v .. everything else on auto... but only is stable on rpime for around.... 8 hrs.. and then crashes.... need help.... temps are just under 50c max

8 hours is plenty :thup:......however.....

system memory multiplier(SPD): 2.00D

If you want to improve you OCing headroom....you should try 2.00B or 2.00C ;)

All of the 775 Gigabyte boards I overclocked with did best with the C setting ;) It affects the timings of the FSB clock signal.....D is lowest performance, and in theory should be best for overclocking.....but I always had better luck with C....keep us posted :)

more info here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=206389

Finally some quality help... The guy over at toms hardware are pricks... Yeh I'll try that out man... Thanks alot

Well I'm gonna get my memory replaced because they are faulty as per memtest86+

Try raising NB to 1.467 to see if it helps and then slowly lower. This has been a starting point that has worked well for me on a variety of Intel boards.
Here is an example of my Q9400 on a X48 board (P45's usually clock higher).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Can you change only the FSB to overclock or do you need to change the voltages as well? I have the same motherboard and cpu and I want to overclock it at the same speed but I do not know how because I don't know how to overclock. Thanks

Last edited:
hey guys sorry i forgot about this thread... look so i repleced the ram, kinda helped a bit, but i think i had better stabilty before the new ram. im not sure.... metest86 says its ok though... ill keep you guys posted.

Have you tried changing your timmings to 5-5-5-15, I mean decreasing your RAM multiplier means that you can lower your timmings to ballance the clock, it should have been more stable if you lowered your timmings a little bit.

Back