• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q9650 vs i7 920

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Q9650RoarPower

Hi people im new her. I've started a pc build useing the full tower Antec twelve hundred and EVGA 790i ultra sli Motherboard. But im Stuck between geting the intel quad Q9650 or the i7 920 :bang head. I cant see to mutch diference between the two but was just wondering if there is a significant diference between these two chips. Any advice or help would be great....Thanks.

Well if you buy the i7 be prepared to hold it in your hand and blow on it to keep it cool while you do the calculations in your head since it will not fit your motherboard

:welcome: to OCForums! :)

If you go with an i7 920 you will have to change the mobo to a X58 chipset board for starters. Totally different socket (LGA1366). And they take triple channel DDR3 memory that has it's rated speeds and timings at no more than 1.65v to keep from frying the cpu.

@dribblesnort,

You could be nice about it like I did instead of being sarcastic, buddy. Keep up comments like that to newbies to these forums and you will be on my bad side, brother!

muddocktor

Last edited:
Adding to Muddocktor's comment...you cannot use the DDR3 you have now in your 790i. That memory is probably 2.0+ voltage. To get an 920, you are looking at 550-600 minimum.

920-200.00 or more
Halfway decent motherboard 200.00-250.00 or more
6GB DDR3: 160.00 or more

An 1156 platform would cost as much or more...it's still new.

i7 is faster and newer then Q9650, different socks and ram as said above, they are 2 diffrent platforms, i7 /i5 is the new processors from intel Q9650 is the older model.

Do you plan to overclock your CPU, if not then I don't see any point going for a i7 920 from your current Q9650. Can you also list your full system specification?

Also depends what do you plan to use this system for?

if you dont max out your cpu usage %100 alot, or dont run say virtual machine or edit programs, audio, graphics, a Q9650 would be fine

i love my Q9650 @ 4.1Ghz and sure i will be keeping it for some time.

Adding to Muddocktor's comment...you cannot use the DDR3 you have now in your 790i. That memory is probably 2.0+ voltage. To get an 920, you are looking at 550-600 minimum.

Sure you can, you just need to get another stick. Lot's of us used three sticks of Dual channel when i7 first came out, or even two. The guideline of keeping uncore voltage within 0.5v of vdimm memory voltages, replaced the "don't go over 1.65 VDIMM" rather early on. If you're running 1.9v RAM in particular, there were no adverse effects whatsoever.
Of course, tripple channel kits are so inexpensive now, you're better off to go that route as the lower voltage requirements give you excellent versatility while overclocking.

Last edited:
if you still have the opportinity to return that mobo I would do it. you should also consider getting an i7 860 over the 920 unless you know for sure you will be running 2 or more graphics cards. i7 860 is socket 1156 and is just as fast or faster (turbo mode) than a 920 and is the same price. the only disadvantage it has is less bandwith for the gpu which will only come into play if you run multiple gpu. even 2 gpu may be ok with an 860 unlss you are running 2 high end video cards (2 4870 or 2 gtx 285).

the p55 (1156) motherboards will be somewhat cheaper than than X58 (1366) and shouldn't be too much different than the expensive p55 board you have already purchased.

The guideline of keeping uncore voltage within 0.5v of vdimm memory voltages, replaced the "don't go over 1.65 VDIMM" rather early on. If you're running 1.9v RAM in particular, there were no adverse effects whatsoever.

Okay...how would you plan on booting the system the first time? The QPI voltage would be ~1.2-1.25. DRAM at 1.9. That is outside the .5 tolerance level.

Okay...how would you plan on booting the system the first time? The QPI voltage would be ~1.2-1.25. DRAM at 1.9. That is outside the .5 tolerance level.

Your question is non sequitur, as I already told you that it had been done. Not only by me, but by others. The short answer is easy; Just do it, since Tolerance level and start up voltage requirements are not the same thing.
I wasn't the guinea pig, I had to ask advice as to whether it could be done or not. Turns out people were doing it, and recommending it as a feasible practice. Sure as heck didn't damage anything on my P6T-Deluxe.

In the measly amount of time it takes to post and get into bios to change your uncore voltage, there is no chance in hell that anything would be damaged. And seeing as 1.2-1.25v is more than sufficient for powerup, there is no problem whatsoever.

I'm not saying that this is the recommended practice, but I was pointing out that many of us made do with dual channel DDR3 just fine b4 Tripple channel kits became mainstream and or affordable.

Back