• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quad channel memory replaced by dual channel.....problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I have quad channel memory 4x2gb ddr3 and recently I found that two of my sticks are toast according to MEMTEST .

I don't have any more quad memory around but I do have two sets of ddr3 3x2gb. I decided to use two of the original sticks
and two sticks from the 3x2gb set. Both memory sets have the same speed, voltage and the same 9-9-9-24 time settings.

I ran MEMTEST for 5 hours and no faults were detected.

Do you think I am alright running two different sets in the same bank of memory or is it just asking for trouble
and I need to find a quad set?

Btw, both memories are rated at 800 mhz but are running at 598 according to MEMTEST. I presume that is a good thing
and pushes the memory less.

All memory kits should be compatible with JEDEC so at least at lower frequencies should run about the same. Motherboard is using the same timings for all modules so if there are no stability issues then all should run fine.
You can try to set memory at 800MHz ( DDR3-1600 ) and I guess it will work but you won't know for sure till you test it.

I agree with Woomack.

Also what brand memory failed. Most memory brands carry a lifetime warranty, maybe get them replaced for free...

I'd check prime95 and if that checks out, shouldn't be a problem. Iran two different sticks together and it worked fine. Elpida+XMS3

Xms3 is the one that failed on me(3x2gb 1333)

I agree with Woomack.

Also what brand memory failed. Most memory brands carry a lifetime warranty, maybe get them replaced for free...

Corsair Vengeance ddr3 pc3-6400 4x2gb quad memory <-- pretty good memory I thought.

I also have some OCZ memory that failed ddr2 stuff but I wonder if that is covered by warranty?

Corsair Vengeance ddr3 pc3-6400 4x2gb quad memory <-- pretty good memory I thought.

I also have some OCZ memory that failed ddr2 stuff but I wonder if that is covered by warranty?

more than likely both have life time warranty .

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean there are no time limits. Have to read warranty documents to know what it means. Often lifetime = 1-3 years after end of production what for some products can be 2-3 years of total warranty. Some brands will cover warranty even 10+ years after purchase but it's not a rule. G.Skill and Crucial replace everything. Other brands I'm not sure as barely any of my RAM was faulty or I just made RMA via store.
OCZ was not manufacturing RAM in last years of their existence. Toshiba who purchased them later is not manufacturing RAM and they sell only storage devices under OCZ brand. If OCZ memory is faulty then can ask them about warranty but somehow I doubt they replace it.

Back