• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad Xeons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

So from what I understand, Xeon chips (sometimes? always? not quite sure?) are regular chips that generally run on less voltage, so consequentially they generally overclock better, and produce less heat. E3110 = E8400, X3350 = Q9450, etc. But the one I'm in question about is the X3230. This is the same as a Q6700, correct? And would run in any board the Q6700 would as well? Thanks for the advice =)

So from what I understand, Xeon chips (sometimes? always? not quite sure?) are regular chips that generally run on less voltage, so consequentially they generally overclock better, and produce less heat. E3110 = E8400, X3350 = Q9450, etc. But the one I'm in question about is the X3230. This is the same as a Q6700, correct? And would run in any board the Q6700 would as well? Thanks for the advice =)

Yep, I had the X3210 (same as Q6400), and it worked great!

Ok thanks. Thinking about spending the extra $20 to get the X3230 instead of the Q6700 to hopefully get a lower VID and better clocker.

Right now I plan on getting a X3230, and am *hoping* to fall between 3.6 and 4.0 ghz.

Hell, if I get a X3230 and I can get it prime stable at 400 I'd be pumped. That's assuming I keep the 10x multi though :D

Do the Xeon chips clock well? Thought they were just meant to be very energy efficient processors to be put on servers that are never turned off. This makes for low overhead on server leasing.

Its thought (not confirmed however) that Xeon chips are slightly higher binned chips meaning they can run their stock clock at a lower voltage then their counterparts .. This sometimes (it does depend on your chip) means that they are better clockers, either being able to go higher (unlikely with the 45nm chips tho, ~450 FSB is about their limit) or run the new clocks with less voltage ..

Well, I have a payout check from a 401(K) plan I never new I had coming back to me, so new hardware is on the agenda. X3230 seems to be what I'm going with. Unless my mind changes in the next week while the check is on the way :)

Back